- advertisement -

Apidra Poll 2 -- Sorry if this one is repetitive

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Toni, Sep 15, 2009.

1. Toni

Toni Banned

If coming from Novolog to Apidra:
    Did your basals increase? decrease? Approximately by what percentage?
    ICRs, did they stay the same? increase? decrease? Approximately by what percentage?
    Corrrection Factor: Same? increase? decrease? Approximately by what percentage?

2. betty6333

betty6333 Approved members

2 months into it they were essentially the same... BUT the first weeks we made adjustments both up and down, maybe he just went through a growth spurt ect... but the first few weeks it seemed that it took time to adjust to the new insulin.

3. Jacob'sDad

Jacob'sDad Approved members

Basals up about 30%, the other stuff stayed about the same.

Here's the thing; with basals I can't eliminate the possibility that there was a growth spurt at the same time we switched to Apidra, and his basals were just due to change anyway. What I have found with Apidra is that basal shortages seem to cause higher BGs than what we saw with Novolog. I think Apidra is maybe a little unforgiving when the basals are off.

4. Darryl

Darryl Approved members

Basals and boluses went up 50%. Also adjusted ISF from 200 to 150.

5. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

My son went on the pump and Apidra at about the same time. We tried Humalog for about a week at the beginning and then for three weeks 4 months later.

He uses a lot less insulin with Apidra than with Humalog -- 50% less all the way around.

6. Toni

Toni Banned

Wow, 50 percent increase or decrease. That is quite the difference.

7. Mom264

Mom264 Approved members

We made the switch one month ago. I have been tweaking like crazy. Here is where we are now.

Our basals went from 45% of TDD on Novolog to 30-35% of TDD on Apidra.
    It is currently just about the same. 1:9 for the first meal of the day, 1:20 for everything else. 1:22 for after 10 pm.

Decreased across the board-- in the morning from 140 to 100 and in the afternoon from 160 to 140.