- advertisement -

Apidra covering IOB

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Toni, Feb 21, 2010.

1. Toni

Toni Banned

Apidra and covering IOB at the 2,5 hour mark..... I don't think we are going to have to do this anymore! So this is a huge success. Strongest action before 3 hours (have not pinpointed it yet exactly). DN was 97 2.5 hours after eating a snack last night around 11 pm. She had 3.7 units of IOB. Sis jumped the gun and treated the IOB as we have always had to do with Novolog and because she was going to bed she gave 10 grams of Ex-Carbs for each unit. Sis forgot I had off today and was going to be up checking. BS 171 at 12 midnight with 1 plus IOB still working. At 1:30am BS was 325! And highs from food seem to need more of a correction. Correx only brought her down to 250 when I checked two hours later. Next full correction brought her down to baseline. As long as the food is digesting even somewhat she needs extra insulin. I had raised her basal to get an extra .50 per hour from 6pm to midnight when she eats and snacks. If correcting a high on an empty stomach Apidra works quickly and very well. The ICR of 1 to 6 appears to be correct. P.S. Dosed 1 to 6 for breakfast and applied a 20 percent temp plus basal for two hours. BS 160 which is perfect. Applying the temp for another two hours (because she has been going up on correct basals hours 3 and 4). This really appears to be working well. But I don't get why I need a temp basal extended out for so many hours?? Have been doing this for dinner, but too high a temp basal. I just wish insulin matched food disgestion exactly. In any case, no feeding of the insulin and I can get the two hour post prandial number I need with Apidra. Basals are definitely spot on. So... it is working....

Last edited: Feb 21, 2010