- advertisement -

Anyone worry about too low sodium levels?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by JJsMomma, Jan 7, 2010.

1. JJsMomma

JJsMomma Approved members

JJ's been peeing like mad again...Jeff jokingly said 'it's not like he can get diabetes again' but it got me thinking. If his sodium levels are low, what issues will arise and would that cause excess urination? 80% of the time JJ is in range when we test him. He is above target maybe 10% of the time, usually at a night reading, so I am not surprised when he sometimes soaks his diapers overnight...but the past 2 afternoons, he is soaking through...and not because of my neglect nor excessive drinking. Thoughts? I haven't done a test to see how much he is getting through his regular meals.....he may not even be low....It just got me thinking....

2. skimom

skimom Approved members

any chance there is a UTI or kidney infection?

3. lynn

lynn Approved members

Hm, I've never thought to worry about sodium levels. Thanks, now I have another thing to obsess over!;)

I would suggest a call to the pediatrician.

4. sam1nat2

sam1nat2 Approved members

JJ and my Sophie are very close in age. She is soaking diapers more at times too. I gave her my "homemade" glucose tolerance test which she passed with flying colors:D
    For her, I think it is that their bladders are getting bigger, they hold it in longer and then when they go, it soaks the diapers. Just a thought. I somewhat remember the other ones going through this before they started potty training.

5. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

My sodium levels are often a little low when my CBC is done... my endo said not to worry. ??? I just give myself permission to eat more salt than most people would.

EDIT: Rereading the post... I drink a lot of water when I'm hypo as well as when I'm high, and for the purposes of thirst, my blood sugar needs to stay in the 65-155 range (which is why I've chosen that as my target range).

But also, I need to drink more in winter because it's so arid.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2010
  6. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

Well if his range is above HIS renal threshold then he will produce more urine to flush the glucose.

Textbook thresshold is 180, so any amount of time over that more urine will be produced.

That said everyone has a different level, and some can have a much lower level.

Maybe talk to the ped or even the endo.

They may suggest to keep track of fluid intake and weigh the wet diapers to gade if his output is too high.