- advertisement -

Anyone with a 504 plan for their 6th grader?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Eminemsmom, Mar 26, 2012.

1. Eminemsmom

Eminemsmom Approved members

We are getting ready for 6th grade and we were thinking of having a 504 plan for Em. We have never had a 504 plan before and we are not sure what type of testing (academic tests, that is :cwds:) accomodations we should have in place. Would any of you like to share what you have in your 504? We are going to meet with her new principal at the end of the week to see the school and get things rolling...

2. jules12

jules12 Approved members

Here are some things we include:

Standardized testing procedures
    Field trips
    Cell phone usage
    before and after school activities
    Test/treat anywhere
    Dose anywhere

Our 504 is pretty short - it refers to his IHP (individualized health plan) which includes his care, high lows, etc.

3. Eminemsmom

Do you mind sharing?

What do you have in your plan re: standardized testing? I am thinking of trying to add something like "if her BG is high, then...?"

She tends to run higher when she sits for these tests (adrenaline?) but if she is too high she can't focus and does poorly.

Do you have the plan for only standardized tests, or all tests?

4. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

5. 5kids4me

5kids4me Approved members

6. jules12

jules12 Approved members

I sent you a PM with what we use. Our wording includes standardized tests and classroom assessments. I don't worry about all the other classroom tests because honestly it really hasn't been a problem. There was one time where he took a reading test (on a computer) and we figured out his BG was off because it didn't line up with his other reading assessments and the teacher just let him do it over again later. Next year we will be in middle school and I think I will change classroom assessments to finals/chapter tests.

7. momof2greatkids

momof2greatkids Approved members

Here's what Audrey's 504 says about testing:
    At Audrey's discretion, she can test her blood sugar prior to, during, or immediately after any test (including state or standardized tests). If her blood sugar is lower than 75 or higher than 240, the school nurse will notify the teacher of her blood sugar, and she will be allowed to take/retake the test at another time agreed upon by her and her teacher.

8. MommaKat

MommaKat Approved members

Great advice here on this so far, we have a sentence about stop the clock testing for state assessments. Dd tests bg before assessments, and as needed during. If she needs to test during the test, the proctor records the time she stops - she may treat in the room if below 75 or above 200, and time resumes when she is ready. If she does not respond, she's allowed to make up the remainder of the session on another day. Probably the most important has been that she may carry her cell phone at all times and call me for D related advice / trouble shooting as she needs. This allowed her to have her phone with her (on silent) during assessments. 2nd most important, IMO, was the statement that if she is moderately to severely low and requires assistance, health staff is to go to the classroom (not dd to health room).

9. 4MyBoys

4MyBoys Approved members

My son is in 7th grade, but he had a 504 last year. Our school does not allow tests to be retaken so we have in his 504 that he is to do his BG before tests and he is not to take a test if he is below 70 or over 220. He always thinks he feels fine, able to take the test but when he has taken tests with a high BG, he has done poorly on them. Also, it removes the possibility that he will ever feel pressured to take a test with a high BG. -Allison

10. Eminemsmom

Thanks!

Thank you all for the information. We have made it with just an IHP thus far, but dd's grades are starting to be affected by some stubborn highs. I know this is when her grades start affecting where she is placed in high school, so I want to make sure she has some things in place to stop making D such a factor at school.