- advertisement -

Anyone watching Blue Bloods?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by ashley_lynden, Sep 24, 2010.

1. ashley_lynden

ashley_lynden Approved members

I'm sitting here rolling my eyes. :rolleyes: On this show, a type 1 little girl was abducted. The officers keep talking about how she has to have an insulin shot every 12 hours and that if they don't find her should could go into insulin shock. Seriously?!? :rolleyes:

2. BrokenPancreas

BrokenPancreas Banned

I KNOW! I'm squirming watching this.
    He yells to the EMT, give her insulin!
    If this was real, the child is probably extremely low and they are going to give her insulin.

This is the worst case of bad Type one info I have ever seen!

3. KHM

KHM Approved members

goodness! no wonder the world is full of people walking around saying stupid things to parents of CWD.... opportunities to increase awareness like this are squandered and actually put us further behind the curve in terms of understanding. I'd be tempted to write a letter to the screenwriter/network/director someone.

4. Chippy28

Chippy28 Approved members

Yeah, sitting here rolling my eyes. I had to take my infusion set out and during the commercial break I had to run upstairs to put in a new one so I didn't go into "insulin shock!!!" :rolleyes:

I think this is the first time that I have seen/heard type 1 info so incorrectly misinterpreted on tv.

5. mom24grlz

mom24grlz Approved members

2nd time typing this..Catie deleted it all.

Yes i watched it. I thought it was a bit ridiculous. They found the little girl in the storage locker (she was alive, thank goodness. I thought they might have killed her off). The detective tells the EMT she needs insulin. My thoughts are "why? Was she eating while in the storage locker? Did the kidnapper take her out to eat?" If anything after 12 hours, I'd expect her to be low and need something to bring her sugar UP not insulin to bring it down.

6. sooz

sooz Approved members

I dont think she was eating much with her mouth covered in tape and her hands tied behind her. It was such a horrible show on so many levels, including the acting and the writing. It has a nice premise, 3 generations of NYC cops, but so bad in so many ways. They should be ashamed of themselves for not doing their homework on type 1.

7. kimmcannally

kimmcannally Approved members

they tell the EMT she needs insulin because it sounds better (more dramatic) :rolleyes: After all, *everyone* eats! Only diabetics need insulin! :rolleyes::rolleyes:;)

8. BrokenPancreas

BrokenPancreas Banned

Sooz.. that made me laugh!!

When they mention that she needs insulin every 12 house, is that how NPH works?

I saw the Panic Room not long ago and thought that was really disturbing, but this show made the Panic Room seem like a JDRF promo!!

9. emm142

emm142 Approved members

That's how my schedule was when I was on NPH/regular premix. At breakfast, you take a shot of NPH/regular premix. The regular covers breakfast, and the NPH covers the day's basal as well as lunch and snacks. At dinner, you take another shot of NPH/regular premix. The regular covers dinner, and the NPH covers the evening and night time basal, and a bedtime snack.

ETA: In this regimen, if you took NPH at breakfast and missed lunch and snacks, you would go VERY low (equivalent to taking a bolus for snacks and lunch and then not eating them). She certainly wouldn't have needed more insulin.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2010
  10. valerie k

valerie k Approved members

I dont know... maybe there are carbs in the glue of duct tape she could have been sucking on???? didnt see the show, and Im glad now.

11. Omo2three

Omo2three Approved members

so if a child goes without insulin...all day you think they would be low or high?

Obviously the show has no clue about type 1.....but if ambrea's inset falls out at night..she will be high in the morning not low. maybe its a YDMV.

never tried it in a hostage situation..amb would be low because excitement makes her drop...her endo says it backwards from everyone else.

12. emm142

emm142 Approved members

She only needs insulin every 12 hours, which means her breakfast insulin would cover basal all day and lunch. The basal would keep her flat. Missing lunch would send her insanely low, because she has insulin on board already to cover lunch. I'm guessing that the kidnapped child wasn't fed..

13. sooz

sooz Approved members

I have actually been thinking about this today and wondering it about it now. Hailey would be low because she is wearing a pump that would spit out basals all day. What about a child on MDI? If she didnt eat any carbs at all, would she go low? The show still screws it up, because if she were on MDI she would take more than one shot every twelve hours, and I definitely dont think she would need insulin when they found her, but I have been trying to think if she would be dangerously low. As I type this I think the answer is yes she would be low no matter what because her Lantus or Levimir would still be in her system, depending on what hour she got that shot...crazy show..crazy how my senile mind works! :D:rolleyes:

What do the rest of you think? Im getting myself all confused now.:eek:

14. BrokenPancreas

BrokenPancreas Banned

There repeating it tonight if you want to see it!
    It's on at 8 or 8:30

15. BrokenPancreas

BrokenPancreas Banned

Insulin shock, also known as hypoglycemia

The cop is worried that she is going to go into "Insulin Shock", but tells the EMT to give her insulin... Priceless... just priceless!

16. emm142

emm142 Approved members

Anyone know if this is online anywhere I could watch from the UK?

I was watching a crime drama very late last night (babysitting and nothing else good on TV), and a little girl with epilepsy was kidnapped. I spent the show wondering how much it was misinforming me about epilepsy...

17. miss_behave

miss_behave Approved members

I know what you mean about that, I always wonder about that stuff too. When I hear nursing tutors at uni say incorrect things about diabetes, (it happens! :() I always wonder what I've been misinformed about re other illnesses.

18. Momof4gr8kids

Momof4gr8kids Approved members

If its insulin shock then the child is low, but I am sure this was no more than a term used to add drama.

I recently re-upped my first aid training and all I can say is :eek:

I think this would be a YDMV mostly because well, YDMV.
    1) Which way is the child going to head bg wise from the stress of being abducted?
    2) What is the regimen the child uses? How tight is the control? would the child go low during a normal fast?

Now you'd think someone would do their research, and do some good educating while they are making a show about D or anything else, but... We all know that isn't likely to happen. Maybe we should produce a show about D kids... It could be one heck of a comedy/drama ;)

19. Omo2three

Omo2three Approved members

insulin shock!:eek:

What does that mean? I find shows a bit intriguing. They rarely get the medical terminology quite right.

How come they don't say she is going into diabetic ketoacidosis or DKA.
    Get insulin check ketones stat! Do they say she has BRITTLE diabetes you know the Bad kind of D.

There was one movie (very old)with Jodi Foster...mmm was it "Panic Room?"

I believe they showed the person getting weak and low BG (Insulin Shock) she needed a glucagon shot....pretty accurate stuff there.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2010
  20. Lee

Lee Approved members

Except for the watch that read her bs accurately...and the fact that she had to sneak out of the panic room when it was time for her insulin. I don't know - I think I would rather let my kid run high for a few hours then risk getting shot at for a good #.