- advertisement -

Anyone using the UltraSmart meter?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by anna-bananna, May 9, 2012.

1. anna-bananna

anna-bananna Approved members

I would like to try it for DD, but her CDE is reluctant to write a script for it because she says they have been having too many problems with the date/time getting accidentally reset (to an incorrect date/time) among the patients in their practice that are using this particular meter. :confused:

Is this really such a problem?

Should I push for it anyway?

I wanted to try this one, since I am sick of manually logging, and this new meter would be cheaper for us (through insurance) than the USB cord to download everything. Plus ALL of our computers seem to be on their last leg at the moment. :rolleyes: I would really LOVE to try the Verio IQ :cool:, but Kaiser refuses to cover it at all, since it uses its very own kind of strips. :mad: They also refuse to cover any meters which are not the One Touch brand. :(:mad:

Thoughts?

2. MamaBear

MamaBear Approved members

We have the Ultra Smart 2 and the One Touch Mini. We have never had the date reset itself. But with booth of those One Touch models I have noticed they reset the time. Ours has only ever been by a few minutes so it has not been a big deal. 2-5 minutes hasn't made any big difference to us.

3. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

Our endo mentioned they have seen a problem with the One Touch Minis that if you push the test strip in too hard it can reset time and date somehow. They said the Ultra Smart one did not have that problem. We have used the One Touch Mini for camping trips etc and never had a problem. Also have used the Ultra smart and never seen a problem with it either

4. Charliesmom

Charliesmom Approved members

We used to use it and had no problem with it. In fact, our endo gave it to us in the office. I prefer it over the minis. I have wasted so many strips on the minis because it feels like the strip is in all the way and it isn't. I'm usually on autopilot and don't stop and check.