- advertisement -

Anyone using t slim yet?

Discussion in 'Insulin Pumps' started by BrendaK, Feb 11, 2013.

1. BrendaK

BrendaK Neonatal Diabetes Registry

After doing some research and talking to our endo, it looks like the t slim is our pump of choice after the out of warranty Cozmo bites the dust.

Is anyone here using one that can give feedback and a review?

The endo was super impressed with the pump itself as we'll as the "forward and progressive direction the company is headed".

Carson is super excited about the slim size and touch screen. I'm happy about the 300 unit cartridge size, rechargeable battery, and lure lock sets (we can keep using our same infusion sets).

Reviews?

2. MHoskins2179

MHoskins2179 Approved members

We posted a review by Wil Dubois on the t:slim over at D'Mine last Thursday. He's also been writing about it regularly at Life After Dx. There have been several others that I know of - including (but not limited to) D-Dad Scott Benner at Arden's Day, Sarah at Sugabetic, Melissa at Sweetly Voiced, and Adam Brown at diaTribe. I think there have also been other CWD threads with reviews.

3. Danielle2008

Danielle2008 Approved members

As posted above, there are quite a few bloggers who have been posting about the Tslim...I have read nothing but good things.

I believe Stacey's son is using the Tslim, and loving it.

Unfortunately, not all insurances are covering it at this time. UHC isn't, and it is quite frustrating. Hopefully, they will contract soon.

4. sarahspins

sarahspins Approved members

Yep, we have UHC and my ping warranty is up in about 6 more months and I am hoping things will have changed by then... I was very disappointed when I heard they weren't covering them.

5. Danielle2008

Danielle2008 Approved members

I spoke to Tandem again last week hoping for good news since I last talked to them in Oct. There are some UHC plans they can work with(if you have "out of network" options). Unfortunately, mine is an EPO with no out of network options....so completely out of luck. I do believe they will come around eventually. BCBS is covering, and I think I read some on MCR, too.

My current pump is fine, I don't entirely need a new one today...but I am antsy with the "new" things coming...in specific the Enlite and Veo, and coverage for the Tslim.

How can you not love the sleek look of the Tslim!

6. sarahspins

sarahspins Approved members

Well I have an out of network option but the deductible on that is like $7500 and then they only pay 50%, so yeah, not gonna happen... just coming up with my $2500 in-network deductible would be a stretch (though I will have whittled it down by about $500 in supplies by the time they'd cover an upgrade anyways).

7. selketine

selketine Approved members

Kaiser HMO Mid-Atlantic isn't covering it either - it was already denied. We are thinking of appealing. William's pump warranty is already up as of a couple of weeks ago so it is tough. William has been wanting a t:slim since he saw a prototype of it at a CWD conference in 2010 (when he was 8 years old!).

If anyone hears of any Kaiser HMO's covering it in the USA (each region is a bit different) let me know. I'm thinking if we go ahead with another Animas pump I can just see Kaiser deciding to cover it 6 months later - ugh!

8. Kaylee's Mom

Kaylee's Mom Approved members

I have looked at the TSlim since the son of who helped develope it lives in my town .. he gave me a print out of the pump ... it looks like an iPod .. really cool but I could see my 8 year old breaking the screen pretty quickly. But can't wait to hear reviews of it ... :)

Crystal Grant

9. BrendaK

BrendaK Neonatal Diabetes Registry

Thanks for the feedback. I found one review of a blog listed above (DiaTribe) that was good. Haven't had any time for the online community so I hadn't seen the others.

We have BCBS so I think I will take the next step and see if it's covered.

Definitely will be talking to t-slim about the durability of the screen/pump. That's my only reservation so far. Looks very breakable.

10. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

I talked to our NP/CDE about this at our last visit, she said a rep actually threw it onto the ground in front of her! Did not shatter.

It's supposedly very durable. Technology is out there for this to be true, you have to remember that apple and other cell phone mfg are not invested in their products being durable, they like it when we break them and have to buy another!

Looking forward to hearing more about this product as well.

11. selketine

selketine Approved members

Perhaps Stacey will weigh in but I've heard that her son Jessie has broken several pumps (hence his website: http://www.pumpslayer.com - ha ha).

He has the t:slim and put it through its paces and it hasn't broken. This was a concern last summer at the CWD FFL when t:slim let folks trial the pump with saline and the durability was called into question. I think some common things (like dropping it on concrete or a hard surface) it was fine.

Of course if it did break there is a warranty so they'd replace it - unlike your cell phone if you drop it and crack the glass!

12. MrsGink

MrsGink Approved members

We've had the t:slim since September. They did a great job getting it covered by insurance. We were pretty early to get one and we had to go through a 3rd party (Edwards Diabetes Care) but no problems.

Our son will be 14 in a week and he loved the t:slim ever since he saw it. It is really easy to use and he has been much better about bolusing.

There were some problems and we are on our 3 pump, but the problems - they seem to be related to the cartridges - have been resolved. We still had our old cozmos to turn to when I wasn't sure if it was really a cartridge or pump issue. Customer service has been exceptional. We had problems during Sandy and a fully charged pump arrived at out door step 18 hours after contacting them. Tandem and UPS both came through for us!

The charge holds a good week. We charge all at once. Others do a little bit every day. If we hear about severe weather coming, we do charge it all the way. We also have a mini back up battery pack that should be able to do the pump and Dexcom G4 (LOVE IT!).

There is a t:slim facebook page. People all love the t:slim but there are some who want to continue using apidra and they have been having problems with the t:slim. There are a lot of theories but it seems apidra is a bit of a diva, regardless of the pump used.

I highly recommend the t:slim at this point. I think all of the bugs have been worked out of it by now. We came from the cozmo which was so trouble free and easy. We still use the insets, which we also found to be completely reliable. Now with the t:slim, if we have rising blood sugars, I won't just change out the infusion set and see if that worked. I will change the infusion set AND the cartridge. As with anything new, you need to learn the tricks.

Four months ago, I would have said the t:slim is a good pump for someone who has previously had a pump and can deal with trouble shooting (or understands pumping). Now I would even extend the recommendation to anyone interested in state of the art pump therapy.

We love our t:slim and with the cozmo IP and dexcom integration, this will only get better!

AM

13. Kimby

Kimby Approved members

Andrew loves the tslim too! He is still amazed when he types in a bolus and it delivers something like 4.32u. The accuracy really helps in identifying issues with I:C ratio. The basals are that accurate too. The only thing I have missed is the ability to download the pump, but the software should be out the end of this month. I hope it's good!

14. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Can you elaborate on what your kids love about the t-slim?

Last edited: Mar 5, 2013
  15. wvchinacat

wvchinacat Approved members

Just started Tslim

Husband has been using T SLim for almost a month now and we just ordered our daughters - she should be up and running in about a month.

He switched from the omnipod to tslim. He was die-hard NO TUBING guy. But with all that - for the past 6 months he had been having many occlusions, he was tired of many pods failing and knocking it off when he wolked through doorways. He also did not like the big PDM and the discomfort of leaving his PDM at home accidentally and not being able to at least cover carbs . . .like our daughter could on her ping.

When given the option of returning to shots/pens - he said NO WAY and he did not really like the tubing options - but when the t slim came out he thought he would give it a try.

He has been using it for about a months and has had only 1 occlusion from a site - good control and he loves that if he forgets his meter - he can at least still bolus for carbs and check his bg later. (I cannot tell you how many nights we'd be out to dinner and he'd left that darn PDM at home:rolleyes:)

It was super easy to set up, the touch screen is nice - but it does not swipe like a phone. The priming takes WAY longer than the ping - but that is not good or bad thing - it is just what it is. Battery life is great so far and he plugs in when he drives home from work daily to top it off - but even without charging - after a few days it still has more than 1/2 charge. It is very easy to see all your setting, without scrolling though numerous menus.

After using him as a guinea pig we are going to go ahead and order DD's as well. She is 12 and is looking forward to having the newest pump at camp this summer!
    We are lucky and it is covered by our insurance company and the distributor company (CCS medical) has been very quick, helpful and great customer service so far.

We also use Apidra and were told that it has not been tested in the pump. Somehow - we get our Apidra free - so right now it is our insulin of choice. If that changes - we will likely go back to Humalog. With Humalog and Novalog - you can fill the pump for up to 7 days worth of insulin and just change out the site . . . we do not do that - we change the bladder (cartridge) every 3 days and have not had any problems.

Since she takes her pump off when she swims anyhow - it should not be a problem - but I think I will miss the waterproofness of the ping. The Tslim is water resistant . . .

Hope this helps . . . We have old Dexcom systems and are thinking about upgrading to the newest one soon. Neither DD or DH use them currently.

It will be nice to have both of them on the same systems - for the past 4 years we have had 2 systems (OmniPod and Animas) It's been great to see how each work, what we like and don't like about each and so forth. All this being said - we have LOVED being able to pump and each system offers it's own pros and cons. I hope I have not offended anyone with comments regarding the ping or pod. Both are great systems and had our insurance not covered 100% - we'd still be using them happily!:cwds:

16. mape18

mape18 Approved members

My son will start using the t slim on April 17. We just received it in the mail last week. Seems pretty easy to set up. Seems heavy with clip but can wear in his pocket. Waiting for rep to trian us. This is his first pump. We have Cigna who does not have a contract with t slim but was able to get it 100% covered by going through 3rd party.

17. Shopgirl2091

Shopgirl2091 Approved members

Just curious - what 3rd party did you go through? We have Cigna and I am researching pumps, still trying to decide what's right. I really like the T-slim, but I thought they wouldn't cover it because in their paperwork they say it is "experimental".

18. wvchinacat

wvchinacat Approved members

We used CCS medical. out BCBS is out of Pennsylvania, but we live in WV and the WV BCBS in not in network with Tandem. However, with CCS it was covered in full. They also tried using Edgepark - but edgepark was not in network with WV BCBS either. I'd call tandem and ask what 3rd party distributor they suggest. Good Luck!

19. Shopgirl2091

Shopgirl2091 Approved members

Thank you! We're still a couple of months out, but I want to do all my research now so when they give us the green light we can go for it.