- advertisement -

Anyone using Apidra?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by slpmom2, Sep 12, 2011.

1. slpmom2

slpmom2 Approved members

My dd is currently using Novolog but we've just gotten a prescription for Apidra, as we'd like to see if it makes any difference for her. I'd love to hear from other parents whether you've tried Apidra, how you made the switch from your previous insulin (did you have to change basal rates, carb ratios, active insulin time, etc.?), and how it worked out for you.

Thanks for any insights you may have!

2. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

We've been using apidra for about a year.. at first we had to make changes, lowered everything, less insulin over all, but that quickly changed (within a week) and everything went back to where it was.. we left her active insulin at 3hours.. I wanted to change it to 2.5, but on MM you either get 2 or 3, nothing inbetween.. its safer to have it on the longer end, so I left it.

3. Mom2Kathy

Mom2Kathy Approved members

We had to increase basal about 25% across the board. And we reduced the DIA to 2.5 (we're on the omnipod, so it was possible to change to this). I don't know if I can attribute that 100% to the Apidra, but it is what we had to do.

I love Apidra - it definitely works quicker and we don't have as many spikes as before. The only drawback I see is it degrades quickly - at most 25 days outside the fridge.

I also like it because we are one of the few patients our endo has on it. So he gives us samples at every visit. I got 5 vials from him on our last visit. That will last us about 4 months. Just in time for our next visit! I haven't paid for insulin since June. :)

4. lisamustac

lisamustac Approved members

Ds has been on apidra for close to a year. I have been very happy with it. The only thing we needed to change was IOB to 2.5 hours.

It has helped out with post meal spikes. Overall it has worked very well for us.

5. lmf1122

lmf1122 Approved members

We've been using Apidra for almost 2 years.

We had to increase basals initially, but after a few weeks they returned to previous levels.

We use a DIA of 3 hours.

One big difference we found, besides lower spikes following meals, was that a reduced or increased basal rate on Apidra makes a huge difference in BG.

For instance if DD was running a little low (70s-80s) at night on Novolog, I would do a minus 80-90% basal for half an hour and she would come up to about 100 or so and stay steady. If I did that with Apidra BG would be >300 1-2 hours later. On Apidra, I usually don't do more than + or - 20% temp basal for or it really affects her blood sugar.

6. Kayeecee

Kayeecee Approved members

We've been using Apidra in our Omnipod for about a year and have had very good success with it. I don't recall any specific adjustments because we constantly adjust basal rates and what of those was attributable to the switch would be impossible to figure out. We do not have problems with insulin going bad any more quickly either on the shelf or in the pod and we live in hot Atlanta. Give it a try and the best of luck to you.

7. Darryl

Darryl Approved members

We've been using Apidra for around 3 years with the Omnipod pump and Guardian CGM. Apidra works faster than humalog, so post-meal spikes are lower and control is more straighforward. We had to increase doses around 25% when we switched but everyone has different results. Since you are using the CGM I'd start with the same doses, then adjust based on what you see. You will probably see that you can correct more often without insulin stacking.

8. 3kidlets

3kidlets Approved members

We've been using Aprida with the OmniPod for about 6 months. Hana was previously on NovoLog. I did change the duration for 3 hrs to 2.5 hours. I do notice that her highs come down much faster and the spikes are definitely minimized.

9. slpmom2

slpmom2 Approved members

Thanks so much for the input, everyone. Based on this we'll probably just start with her current doses and settings and then adjust as needed. Having the CGM will be a big help, and we'll plan to do it sometime when we have her home with us for a few days before sending her back out to school.
    Appreciate your thoughts!