- advertisement -

Anyone using Accu Chek Nano or Aviva?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by ecs1516, Jan 3, 2014.

1. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

How you do like the Nano or Aviva? Do they seem accurate to you?
    Thought about switching possibly in the future.

2. mamattorney

mamattorney Approved members

Yes, my daughter actually uses both. They are very accurate in my opinion. They never seem to give wacky numbers and are always close when a side by side comparison is done (although I suppose that could mean that they are comparably inaccurate). They run higher than the Contour Next and pretty close to the Verio IQ when I did side by side comparisons with them. Personally, I like the Nano better than the Aviva. It's smaller and the numbers light up. The illuminated numbers are nice at night or in the dark (checking during a movie). Unfortunately, our pump software works with the Aviva and not the Nano, so she uses the Aviva more. If her pump software added the Nano as an option, I'm confident she'd immediately stop using the Aviva.

3. emm142

emm142 Approved members

I've been using the Nano for ages (3 years?). UK version, not sure if it's the same. It beats the others I've tried (a few One Touch meters and the Bayer Contour). I find it about as accurate as I did the Aviva, but it's smaller and prettier. :p

4. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Yes, we've always used the Aviva. I kind of want to switch to the Nano, but with our backstock of Aviva strips, it would be a pain.

5. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

We used the Aviva for over three years. We would go back in a heart beat if Express Scripts still covered the strips for us. It was accurate with rechecks, my daughter liked the large strips (easier to handle when low), and they have great customer service. Now that we're using Verio, we see numbers ranging by 50 points or more for the same blood drop, she has more difficulty with the strips, its a pain to keep track of another device that needs charged, and good luck trying to talk to a person for customer service.

6. MEVsmom

MEVsmom Approved members

DD was diagnosed in July and the Nano is the only meter we have used so I don't really have a comparison. She is 8 and it is very easy for her to use independently so it works for us. It's the meter they gave us at the hospital and the CDE said the strips were preferred for our insurance.

7. emm142

emm142 Approved members

Having read this, the meters must be different in the US. Over here, the Nano and the Aviva use the same strips.

8. sincity2003

sincity2003 Approved members

When DS was diagnosed last January, we were given the Nano. It's all we used until October, when he went on the OmniPod and went to FreeStyle strips. When he came off the pod in November, we went back to the Nano. He likes it, although once he got use to the tiny amount of blood the FreeStyle required, he was a little upset. We are going to the OneTouch next Friday, but will definitely go back to the Nano here and there to use up the excess test strips we have.

9. ChristineJ

ChristineJ Approved members

DS uses the Nano. Love it!

Christine

10. mocha

mocha Approved members

I've used a few different meters over the years, but I use the Nano now, since insurance covers it.

It's a good meter, and it's adorably small. It's very accurate and I like that numbers light up.

I do wish it had a light for the test strips so I don't have to turn the light on to check in the dark, and it does take more blood than other meters.

11. Dan

Dan Approved members

We use Nano and love the accuracy and size

12. DavidN

DavidN Approved members

We used the Nano pre-Pod and liked it. I was chatting with my wife about using it again, my son overheard and yelled "SO NOW I HAVE TO CARRY SOMETHING ELSE AT SCHOOL?!"

We're sticking with freestyle for now.

13. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

I used Accu Check Aviva for seven years. I finally decided to stop. Although most of the time it was accurate or at least consistent, on more than a dozen occasions it was more than 20% off the reading from the blood draw in my doctors' offices. On two embarrassing occasions, I pointed out to the doctor that I was having physical symptoms like a tremor, but my meter said my bg was fine... the blood draw showed low blood sugar.
    And after they switched to the new test strips, the consistancy got worse. Given that my insurance had to pay over a dollar per strip for them, and that Relion Prime strips are less than twenty cents each (my copay comes out to about 3 cents each), the switch to Relion Prime made a lot of sense to me. And I've gotten better accuracy from them so far.