- advertisement -

Anyone use contact detach infusion sets?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by susan0909, Apr 30, 2014.

Tags:
  1. susan0909

susan0909 Approved members

We just started using the contact detach sets and I was wondering if anyone had any pointers on taping it and in which direction you have the tubing coming out. We are using it on his backside and I don't have a lot of room.
    Thanks

2. mocha

mocha Approved members

I use them!

I use two pieces of Hypafix: one on top of the actual site, and one with a hole cut out on top of the connection. I flail in my sleep and have ripped out many different types of infusion sets in my sleep this way.

Since I'm putting these in myself and not super flexible, I always try to have the tubing pointing toward my front so it is easier for me to reach, put in, connect, and remove. I use my arms and legs, though. I have terrible absorption on my back side and my tummy is all scar tissue.

3. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

My son uses them but doesn't seem to need any extra taping. I do recommend hypafix also though, in general. He uses legs almost exclusively and orients up, he keeps the pump in his pocket mostly.

4. dshull

dshull Approved members

My son is 9 and he will only use the contact detach. For the bum, I put the needle in with the tail facing down, then loop the tail around and needle site and put the connecting piece either above it or to the side, pretty close together. Then I put a piece of IV3000 covering both pieces, and put the edge of the IV3000 kind of half on the connecting piece so he can unhook for a shower, etc. I have found that IV3000 irritates his skin the least of all of the tapes, even though it is not the strongest sticking. We haven't had a problem with the sites coming off. But we started the pump in September, and that was before the hot weather/pool every day/sunscreen days which are around the corner. Not sure how IV3000 will hold up to all'r that.

A word of caution if you have a skinny one like me - he likes the bum the best and for months, we only used that for sites. Then at his last endo appt they said there were some lumps under the skin from overuse :( He really refuses to use any other kind of site, and honestly the ones we tried all fell out of his skinny body anyway. So he have started using the back of the arms. My beef with Animas is that they only sell 43 and 23 inch tubing. 23 is too short for arms, and 43 is wayyy too long for a kid. Tandem sells an in between tubing length but we get our supplies through animas and can't get the in between length (if you're listening Animas, sell the in between length!! the manufacturer does make them) Also think that once he is wearing short sleeves and in the pool all summer, he is not going to want to answer all the questions he will get about the site on his arm. On the bum no one can see it. He doesn't really care if people see it, he just doesn't want to answer their questions in the middle of a game of Marco Polo in the pool :)

5. RomeoEcho

RomeoEcho Approved members

You can get the 32" from a third party supplier. Your insurance probably covers one at the same cost, or less, as Animas directly. I do it so that I can get pump supplies and sensors in a single order and streamline the whole process.

I also only use Contact detatch. I don't usually use any extra tape unless one starts to come up. The positioning of the extra tubing depends on how it wants to fall, since I find it more comfortable to let it follow it's natural curve than to end up with it sticking out. Also, make sure there is enough slack for his full range of motion so it doesn't tug.

6. shannong

shannong Approved members

My son has ripped out a couple of sites, so now, I always tape over the site. I don't tape over the safety connector though because we have never had any issues there. My son also only uses bum because that is the area with the most fat.

7. cdninct

cdninct Approved members

My son uses the Medtronic equivalent, the Sure-T. I find that the tubing likes to bend in one direction between site and connector, so I go with it. I like to position things so that the tubing ultimately feeds out to the front, so on one side, the tail faces down, and for the other side the tail faces up. Like the PP, I like to put the needle and connector quite close together. I only tape the site itself, though, using Opsite Flexifix. The connector part has come off on occasion, but that really isn't a big deal--we tape it down when necessary. Opsite has worked just fine for us through two full summers with lots of swimming and beach time, but I think my son has fairly "sticky" skin!

8. Melissata

Melissata Approved members

Just got the 32 inch tubing today from the Tandem rep. It seems to be hard to get, I have been waiting for weeks for Solara to get it in. She always liked the shorter tubing with any other sets, but since you lose inches with the tail part, it just isn't long enough. They sent us the 43 inch ones and they are just way too much tubing. So the medium length should be perfect. I would certainly find out who else you could get them from. Animas is being silly for not giving people what they want! You could just change to a third party for all of your supplies. Call and be sure that they will get it for you first though.

9. MEVsmom

MEVsmom Approved members

We just started pumping last week, but we are using contact detach sets. I use a piece of opsite flexfix cut in a square slightly bigger than the actual site. I have not taped the safety thing down. DD likes the butt because she has more fat there. The first couple of sites were put too low on her tummy where there is no fat and it was painful to her.

10. Lori_Gaines

Lori_Gaines Approved members

My daughter also uses it, in her rear. We use Tegaderm to tape over the infusion site only, not the safety anchor.

11. Courtfoster

Courtfoster New Member

image.jpg

We use tegaderm over the actual site only and don't use it except in the spring/summer when it is hot and she is swimming a lot.
    On another note if any of you contact detach users would be willing to save the two "plugs" that go in the two ends of the site and send them to my daughter it would be greatly appreciated! She has been using them for the clasp on bracelets she is making and selling to raise $ for JDRF. We had no idea how big of a hit they would be and she is almost out.

Mom to 5 year old T1 daughter dx on 9-17-13, pumping with a pink ping since 12/13 on humalog

12. missmakaliasmomma

missmakaliasmomma Approved members

I tape over the infusion site only as well. If the other thing falls off, we just let it hang there, tuck it in somewhere. We also have the tubing towards her stomach. Sites are always in the upper butt. Dex is for arms. Nowhere else with enough fat to put anything/

13. packmule

packmule Approved members

We just started our son on the t:slim and had a rough start with the Inset 6mm infusion set. We switched to the Contact Detach after three consecutive kinked cannulas in the first 48 hours. We haven't had any cannula problems since switching to the Contact Detach.