- advertisement -

Anyone tried EMLA and Synera?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by StacyMM, Mar 4, 2011.

1. StacyMM

StacyMM Approved members

DS had a sedated MRI a few days ago and the sedation team used this awesome patch on him. It was like a giant bandaid with a numbing agent inside - a lidocaine/tetra-something blend. They put one on the inside of his elbow and one on the back of his hand. 15 minutes later, they peeled it off and put in his IV. He watched them do it and didn't feel a thing. It was amazing. Only thing he felt was heat - by the end of the 15 minutes it felt pretty warm - and it wasn't uncomfortable. I asked what it was and then talked to my endo's office about it today.

DD has never used a numbing agent. I've used EMLA on a blood draw and thought it was worthless - skin was numb but everything underneath it wasn't.

So...the endo agreed to write a script for the Synera and she did...but she also warned that it is a lot more expensive than EMLA and offered that as well. I left with a script for each and a plan to call insurance and see how they compare. Well, the Synera is $150 for 90 days. The EMLA is $10. Obviously, if the EMLA will work (as in, make the inset painless) then I'll fill that script. If not, I'll pay the extra and get the Synera. Based on seeing my son's reaction, I'm convinced the Synera will work. But...$10 is better than $150 ;)

If you've used both EMLA and Synera, how would you compare them? Wildly different or fairly similar? If the Synera is my best bet, I don't want to waste the time (3 weeks to get mail order on EMLA, then a few test days, then 3 weeks to get mail order on Synera.)

Thanks for your help!

2. mamamccoy87

mamamccoy87 Approved members

What we do for site and sensor insertions is numb with a freeze pack like you use for lunch boxes. We call it the hockey puck cuz it looks like one. Put it on for about 3 min and she's numb. We do use EMLA for lab draws.

3. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Hmmm. We've never used Synera, but we use EMLA with great success. The trick to EMLA is that you need to put a blob on and not let it get rubbed in. For something like a blood draw, we leave it on 1.5 hours. For a site or sensor, 45 minutes is enough.

My son is VERY needle phobic. If we tried to give him a shot with a regular syringe at this point (3 years into D), he'd have a heart attack. With EMLA, he has no issues with sites, sensors or blood draws.

4. JacksonsMom

JacksonsMom Approved members

The Dr. office used Emla on Jackson several times with success. When we started the pump I asked for a script for EMLA. This is what I got when I picked it up from the pharmacy: Lidocaine and Prilocaine cream 2.5% / 2.5%. It is something generic and it's cheap. Works great for us when doing site changes. Like another poster read we put a blob of it on and don't rub it in. I usually only leave it on for 20 to 30 minutes and he is good to go.

BTW at the doctor they used a fancy plastic cover over it (i think it was probebly a tagederm patch). We have to pay out of pocket for those and they are expensive. What I do is squirt some on some glad press and seal and stick it on! The Glad Press and seal is sticky and seals around the blob of numbing cream. It's $3 a roll and last forever vs $$$$$$ for those fancy patches!

Maybe this type of cream would work as an alternative for you since it does have the lidocaine and is generic! (Mine is in a white tube with black writing highlighted in yellow. Made by fougera.)

Edited to add: I just looked up Synera and EMLA. Synera is lidocaine / tetracaine and Emla is lidocaine / Prilocaine. I don't know if there is a generic form on Synera available but it looks like what we are using is the generic form of Emla. I watch them use the fancy patch over it at the Dr. When it was prescribed to us I assumed you had to purchase the patches seperately, due to the expense I started using the Glad press in seal. I don't know if there is a generic form of EMLA patches.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2011
  5. PatriciaMidwest

PatriciaMidwest Approved members

Are you using Emla cream or the Emla patch? Emla also comes in the patch form -- it's basically Emla embedded into an occlusive dressing. I've never used Synera but if you like that style check and see how expensive the Emla patch is. I have used the Emla patch and really like it. The Emla patch takes an hour to an hour and a half, sounds like Synera is faster. I have used the Emla patch myself for blood draws and Iv's -- If I leave it on long enough I will not feel it.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2011
  6. Corinne Masur

Corinne Masur Approved members

We have used EMLA for all insertions - pump and CGMS. It works VERY well for us - as the previous poster said, if we use a blob of it and leave it on 45 min - 1 hour prior to insertion.

7. swimmom

swimmom Approved members

We used to use Emla (or generic) for site changes. Our endo asked dd to stop because one can develop an allergic reaction to it over time & then can't use it if really needed for a procedure. We used ice packs for a while & now just nothing.

8. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

We've used EMLA for 5 years.. we use it for blood draws, putting in sensors, and for IVs.. never had a problem.. skin is always numb.