- advertisement -

Anyone tried an Aquapac for the pump?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by cm4kelly, May 15, 2011.

1. cm4kelly

cm4kelly Approved members

I have heard of some people using the Aquapac when their kids go to the water park instead of unhooking the pump.

Anybody tried this?

My son usually goes high so we unhook and bolus for the hour he is missing basal.

Just considering buying one - but $65.00 - not sure if it is worth the money.

2. snail_on_wheels

snail_on_wheels Approved members

I bought it for my son, but he refuses to wear it, because it is so big and bulky. So for me, it was a waste of money :(
    Here`s a picture of his usual pump pouch and aquapac (and his old pump).

3. kiwiliz

kiwiliz Approved members

Too bulky for my daughter - who is very tall for a 14 y/o. I have had great success with "press'n'seal". Really waterproof! You just have to cut it properly, leaving enough to seal and wrap around the tube an inch or two. Ordinary cling film doesn't work well enough to waterproof.

4. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

I doubt my daughter would wear one. To big, it would drive her crazy.

I guess before plunking down that kind of $$ I'd ask him what he thinks, or if you get it, find out the return policy.

5. Rachel

Rachel Approved members

We have been using it a couple years. It is a bit big ... but for us it is worth it. We like that we can see the screen through the pack and see numbers on the CGM. It has cut down on extra BG tests at the beach / swimming lessons. And we don't have to worry about missed basal, which is really nice on those days when we are in the water a lot.

6. Our3girls

Our3girls Approved members

We have one. Don't use it for just swimming but we use it when canoeing since it is a long amount of time and she needs to be getting insulin or she goes high and feels yucky. I do have to say my daughter does not complain she really does not mind much but it is a bit bulky. If she did not want to wear it I would probably still use it and wear it myself so it is easy to hook her up more frequently even at a water park.

7. denise3099

denise3099 Approved members

We disconnect for swimming and beach--she'd go low anyway and really likes the freedom. But for waterparks she wears it. It's bulky but necessary. and since it's clear and soft, you don't have to take it out since you can push buttoms right through it. I do wish they would make it shorter and the black clip thing is not only heavy but floppy--it should have a hook or something to secure it to the belt. I improvised by tying it with a ribbon.

But there really is nothing else. MM sells a hard waterproof case that the 500 series paradigm does fit in but since it's hard you'd have to take it out to dose (since there's no good remote--come on MM, step up!!!) and it's a pain to take out so not good at all. Why doesn't MM make a case since that is one thing that pushes ppl over to animas? I'd buy their case right now if it were for sale and I'd pay up to 100 bucks for it.