- advertisement -

Anyone taken the Auto Train to Disney World?

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by DsMom, Jun 26, 2012.

1. DsMom

DsMom Approved members

We are in the beginning stages of planning a trip to Disney World. My husband originally wanted to drive there (from Pennsylvania:eek:)...an idea the rest of us aren't too fond of. But flying has become such a pain and so expensive...so we were thinking about the Auto Train.

Has anyone here done this? What was your experience like?

2. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

When I used to work at Disney my parents didn't want me driving to FL by myself so they put me on it every summer. It was OK. You get on outside of DC and it ends in Sanford. You need to factor in the time you have to get there for loading on the car, offloading etc. IMO, I would have just preferred to drive as it does add on several hours of wait time.

That being said, it was fun. Being a poor college student, I couldn't afford a sleeper car, so I slept in my seat. Met interesting people and saw a few neat things along the way.

3. Joretta

Joretta Approved members

I have not personally done auto train but I did take the train from Disney area to dc. We did a sleeper car on the way to our vacation. That was fun my child and I had so much fun. We played games talked very bonding she was 10. Now with that being Said room was small sleeper room. Very cozy we had to move things though to use the toilet and there was no privacy and I mean none.

4. MamaC

MamaC Approved members

Living quite near the Auto Train station, I know LOADS of people who swear by it for transpo to and from FL.

5. selketine

selketine Approved members

I've looked at it a few times vs driving or flying and it is very expensive. I think every time I've looked it was quite a bit cheaper to fly and rent a car - and flying is probably easier overall.

This is if your are taking your car with you. However sometimes even just taking the regular train is more expensive than flying. (I mean like the regular train this summer - not taking the car - was around $1400 R/T and the 4 of us can fly for less than that!).

YMMV depending on the time of year you are going. The auto train is more expensive cause they have a fee to haul your car.

6. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Yes, it is cheaper and more time efficient to fly. The only reason I took it was because I needed my car for work and my parents didn't trust me to drive the whole way (they didn't have time to drive with me):D

7. DsMom

DsMom Approved members

Wow, didn't figure it would be more expensive. Have done no homework on this yet, obviously, just kicking around ideas. My husband hates the hassle of flying...even though it would be quicker than the train...and I hate the idea of driving, so we're searching for a compromise.;) I figured the train would be cheaper...so much for that! But my DH may still be willing to do it to avoid the airport! We'll see...

Thanks for your input everyone!

8. selketine

Price it out for some dates. Of course holiday periods are going to be more expensive (like Christmas, etc).

Sometimes Amtrak runs deals (at least for the regular train). Getting a sleeper car adds quite a lot to the price also. You might find a good deal from Philly on a regular train - and plan to sleep in the seats - and rent a car. It still costs nearly the amount of flying .

9. Charliesmom

Charliesmom Approved members

When we looked a couple years ago I was surprised by the price, too. We didn't even want to bring the car with us and it was more expensive than flying. Then when we thought about he extra time my husband would have to take off it just wasn't worth it. That being said, flying to Disney World last month was such a nightmare that we will be driving next time and just make a point of seeing some sites along the way.

10. selketine

We flew down in December and it was easier than I guessed it would be - no problems with any of our carry-ons or his medical devices. We tend to drive down for longer trips though cause we have the time and it is nice to have our own car there - and cheaper overall.

11. Charliesmom

Charliesmom Approved members

It was just a bunch of stuff that built up. My husband and son have the same first name so we could only do an early check in for 3 out of 4 of us. We had to check Charlie in when we checked the bags. It took a bit for that to get done. Charlies pump sets of the alarm every single time so we then had to wait for a supervisor to come observe the pat down because of all the stuff on the news. So we had to wait awhile and they did the pat down and residue test and sent us on our way. We got on the shuttle to go to our gate and a TSA agent runs up to us and says we all have to go back through the metal detectors again because the pump set it off. We do that and run because our plane was boarding soon. We get to the gate and there is a 2 hour delay for our flight. When it was finally time to board we were standing in line and the attendant calls us and asks why Charlie isn't checked in. Turns out the lady that checked our bags didn't actually check him in even though she printed out a ticket and everything. Took about 15 minutes for the agent to get it straigtened out.

12. goochgirl

goochgirl Approved members

I took the Autotrain last year, and the year before (by myself with the 4 kids). It was great, and the only way to travel! We slept in our seats. Be sure to pack a blanket, as its pretty cold in there, and take a travel pillow. Get the early meal, so the kids can watch the movie at 7. Take snacks and stuff to entertain the kids. We have never slept well, but that is ok. Its still the easiest way to get to Orlando from the East coast. Wish it went other places. The earlier you buy your tickets, the cheaper they are. Be sure to call instead of doing it online so you can ask for specials. They will be able to help you with the cheapest configuration of your ticketing. You will also get a discount for being a AAA member. Have fun on your trip!

13. DsMom

DsMom Approved members

Thanks for the great and specific tips!! We do belong to AAA....thanks so much for reminding me to check on that!:):):)