- advertisement -

Anyone successfully using tummy as a pump site?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by VikkiMum, Aug 7, 2011.

1. VikkiMum

VikkiMum Approved members

Hi
    My 6yr old daughter is slim (not really skinny) and I'm thinking about trying out her tummy as a pump site as I think I need more rotation & have been using her bottom quite a lot. We are using stainless steel sets. Am looking for your experiences - anyone successfully using their child's tummy?
    Thanks
    Vikki

2. emm142

emm142 Approved members

I'm slim, but older, and my tummy is my favourite site. My BGs are better with tummy sites than anywhere else.. I've read (and experienced) that absorption is faster there.

3. sbsmith1804

sbsmith1804 Approved members

My ds is 11 yrs old and been on his pump since Nov. and uses his back and belly for his sites. He's very athletic and in contact sports and so far... so good!

4. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

Not sure if you are asking for specifically younger children's stories or not, but my son rotates sites from tummy to tush to thigh. Tummy is definitely a great site for him.

Very active and muscular, very little fat anywhere.

5. selketine

selketine Approved members

William used the top hip (past 7 years) until recently when he wanted to start putting in his own sets - and he uses the stomach. So far he is really happy with this area - says it doesn't hurt - and I think he likes that he can see it himself if he thinks there is a problem.

6. McKenna'smom

McKenna'smom Approved members

My DD used to wear her sites exclusively in her tummy. Then her arms became her favorite. Currently her flanks are her favorite place for her inset now. All locations worked well for her.

7. Poodle

Poodle Approved members

I work out and my stomach is the WORST place for me. I have alot of muscle there from working out with hockey the best place for me is my side of my leg Bc all my leg fat is there! Lol

8. StacyMM

StacyMM Approved members

DD's favorite site is tummy. We have to force a rotation and rotate in legs in the summer and arms in the winter. Every third site has to be off-belly. We definitely get better results, too - for us, legs have a much slower absorption on DD.

9. sugarmonkey

sugarmonkey Approved members

Phillip almost exclusively uses his tummy. Have to really push him to use legs occasionally and give his tummy a break. He's very skinny too. No fat anywhere.

10. mommabear

mommabear Approved members

We use tummy and bottom..My son is very skinny. :cwds:

11. DsMom

DsMom Approved members

We use only the butt area. We tried the tummy months ago, but had very poor results. My son has zero fat in his tummy...and we had occlusion alarms (the only time we ever had these), sites came out, and painful sites). I figured we will wait until he gets a little fat to try there again. I worry that his butt sites will go bad and stop absorbing insulin...but we don't have a choice right now.

12. virgo39

virgo39 Approved members

My DD wears the pod on her belly, bottom, and arms.

13. Bearkev

Bearkev Approved members

DD has been afraid to try it in the belly since day 1. However, while at camp a couple weeks ago she finally gave it a try. I was very proud of her :D Unfortunately, when she came home from camp she came down with a pretty bad cold and her numbers have been rather high, being in the 300's quite often. We switched her back to her bottom just in case. I think the cold is what was causing the highs, but she may not have enough fat in her belly to absorb the insulin. I do find it funny though how upset she was when we went to put her site back to her bottom.

14. Mindy and Tim

Mindy and Tim Approved members

I have 2 pumpers. My dau uses belly sites mainly, and we use the Quick set (she has a minimed). My son uses belly and butt. On his butt we use Sure-T, and tried that on his belly, but he did not like - said he could feel it more. He now uses Quick sets on his belly. Both of my kids are very lean, also.

15. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Yes! Abby saw other kids at camp using tummy sites, so she decided she wanted to try. It's not her favorite spot, but it helps when her arms and bum need a rest. We do find that on her, sets don't hold up as long on tummy because her skin is more sensitive. But, she uses her tummy, that's a big step forward for her:cwds:

16. Susanne

Susanne Approved members

Sophia uses tummy and tush. She loooooves tummy sites! (stainless steel).

17. danielsmom

danielsmom Approved members

So when you use on thigh or buttucks or back...aren't you like sitting on it, or bumping it more?...

18. Jacob'sDad

Jacob'sDad Approved members

Jacob uses his belly, but he is not skinny.

I would think that with a steel set and a skinny kid, it might be important to not put the site in an area where their belly will crease when they lean forward. I would think that would cause the steel cannula to poke and be felt.

19. VikkiMum

site stinging.... a bit

argh! I don't know what to do!
    First, thanks loads for all your helpful replies.
    I put her site in her tummy this morning. She didn't complain, but now, a few hours later she's complaining that it's stinging. But she's not complaining that much. She's playing then every now and then saying it's stinging. I don't know whether to take it out or stick with it - maybe it's just a new sensation being in her tummy ???
    Och! (that's Scottish for Argh!!) I am having a bad day today. First her other site failed so she went really high and the reason we didn't catch it early was because she's had to be a few days without her CGM (sensor problems) and I have now realised we can't live without it. Anyway, new sensors should be turning up soon, just need to make a decision about her site....
    thanks for listening
    X

20. VikkiMum

ok... latest is that I know the site is working and I've asked her if we can keep it in 'til at least this evening - she said yes fine & doesn't seem that bothered now! Maybe it's just a case of it feeling different ...?
    X