- advertisement -

Anyone seen the Nova meter with ketone strips?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by dqmomof3, Oct 1, 2010.

1. dqmomof3

dqmomof3 Approved members

Just wondering...at Walgreen's yesterday, they had the NovaMax Plus meter - the same meter that used to link to MM pumps before OneTouch - and it uses both ketone strips and glucose strips. I didn't realize there was an option other than the Precision Xtra on the market for ketone testing.

Anyone use the Nova? Good, bad, indifferent? Ketone strips any less expensive?

2. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

Never knew there was another meter out there.. FYI, I believe the Nova meter can still link to the MM pumps.

3. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

Just looked it up, it test less blood than the precision xtra meter.. Might be something to look into.. it would be nice to have the ketone meter and blood glucose meter in one.

Edited to add that the novamax doesn't link to the MM pump.

4. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

thanks for letting us know about it.

I really hate needing to ketone test and find that the strips are out of date and i have to open a new box and code it with the chip.

Their website says no coding, I wonder if you have to switch it ove from ketone to glucose when testing.

How much did it cost at walgreens???

5. dqmomof3

I can't remember how much it was at Walgreen's, but I will check! Here's an excerpt from a Gary Scheiner article written in September:

Sanvita, makers of the Nova Max meter (formerly BD Logic), has introduced Nova Max Plus. This new meter has the ability to measure not only blood glucose, but also blood ketone levels using separate test strips. Unlike Abbott's Precision XTra meter (which also measures blood glucose or blood ketone levels), no special coding is required for either type of strip. The blood sample size with the Nova Max Plus meter is also much smaller. Any meter can measure blood sugar, but timely, accurate ketone measurements are essential for pump users (to troubleshoot pump-related problems), pregnant women, and during sick days. This meter measures both with relative ease.

Sounds like something I might want to look into. Now what I want to know is will the NovaMax Link meter - the actual meter that links to the MM pump - be reconfigured to do ketone strips too? If so, we just might make the switch.

6. dqmomof3

7. Wendyb

Wendyb Approved members

We were big Nova users before CGMS and night testing. I loved the linking feature prior to cgms (I don't have the revel). Then we switched to freestyle so I could do night cals with the awesome light. I saw the Nova meter at Walgreens and thought it was awesome to give precision a bit of competition.

8. mom24grlz

mom24grlz Approved members

interesting! I'm thinking about getting a blood ketone meter for Ashleigh. I'm going to go to walgreens and check it out. I'm curious to see how expensive the strips are compared to precision strips.