- advertisement -

Anyone see better numbers with steel cannulas?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by shannong, Nov 21, 2013.

1. shannong

shannong Approved members

My son's numbers have been really crazy lately. I was fighting highs 3 days ago, did a site change and his numbers have been great, until today. He is due to have his site changed tonight, but numbers at school today have been high all day. After the last site change, I did notice a very small amount of blood in the cannula.

Just has me wondering: Has anyone seen better numbers making a switch to steel cannulas? We currently use the Inset 2's.

My understanding is that steel cannulas prevent kinking. I can't say we have any issue with that, but I do frequently see blood in the cannula. Will steel help with that?

Thanks.

2. obtainedmist

obtainedmist Approved members

Though this isn't really an answer to the steel canula question...sometimes a switch out at day two just makes life easier no matter what set you are using. Blood in the canula could effect both a teflon & steel canula similarly. When we tried the steel set, it didn't really help much. What did, for us, was just switching out at 2 days (or whenever the numbers indicated a switch).

3. shannong

I picked my son up from school, changed his site and numbers came down rapidly, so it was definitely the site. No blood in the cannula. His sites do always look a little inflamed and red. Not sure if this is normal? They heal quickly though after changing and have never led to a bad infection.

Maybe I will try routinely changing at the 2 day mark.

Thanks.

4. Shopgirl2091

Shopgirl2091 Approved members

We have had to change at the 2 day mark pretty consistently, I think it is just something with my son's body chemistry. We use the regular insets, and for some reason after 2 days they just stopped working. We even had a period where they would only work for 36 hours and then his numbers would sky rocket, just weird. So we stick to changing on day two, but I have found for some reason we can get 3 days out of certain areas on his body, just kind of random, but that's just our experience.

5. rachabetic

rachabetic Approved members

I'm just curious, but what kind of insulin is he using? I'm guessing you might just need to change out the site every 2 days, but I had weird numbers like that when I was using apidra. I would have great numbers for the first day or 2, and then I would skyrocket. I switched back to novolog (now on Humalog) and all went back to normal, with sites lasting at least 3 days.

Sorry, I know this doesn't answer the steel canula question. Just something else to think about though. :cwds:

6. shannong

He is on Novorapid, which I think in the States is the same as Novolog?

Insulin seems fine, because I did not even change the cartridge and his numbers are back to being great again.

I am frustrated though because it seems like lately a site will just suddenly go bad - could be after a day or two days or three days. It is very random.

7. onthego

onthego Approved members

It made all the difference in the world for my son. We go 4 days between site changes- he tends to run lower towards site change day. (!) It was completely opposite with Teflon cannulas- he would run low on the 1st day, then by day 3 was running high. It made it really difficult to see patterns and make adjustments. His endo talked us into trying steel cannulas- we were reluctant, but honestly, for us, it has made managing his blood sugar a breeze. His a1c for the last year has consistently been between 6 and 6.5.

8. shannong

Sounds like a similar pattern to us.

Just ordered some steel cannulas, after this site lasted less than 24 hours. Got a high reading tonight that wouldn't come down with a correction. When I removed the old site, it was bleeding really badly. I'm fed up. Pumping was going so well until recently. Hopefully the steel cannulas will help.