- advertisement -

Anyone?s blood sugar drop from studying ?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by C6H12O6, Mar 17, 2013.

1. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Approved members

Anyone's blood sugar drop from studying or doing school work
    I was just wondering if I am the only one who has this experience ? sometimes I think it is coincidence .

2. RomeoEcho

RomeoEcho Approved members

It's possible that what you might have been doing instead of studying raises your blood sugar and your basal was compensating for that rise. Do the drops you see from school work happen if you study at a different time of day?

3. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Approved members

Yes, it has happened at different times of the day.

I wonder if it is possible that thinking hard causes the brain to metabolize more glucose ?

4. nebby3

nebby3 Approved members

The brain uses a lot of glucose. I know my dd needs more insulin on days we don't do school. Other activities that she concentrated hard on like art will also make her low.

5. Lee

Lee Approved members

My daughter tends to run a bit lower with mild stress, so yes, when she studies, her blood sugar drops.

6. JodiKobernick

JodiKobernick New Member

My daughter used to have lows frequently during math class or when she was studying math - so yes I do think it's possible1

7. wilf

wilf Approved members

This happens to DD. We will also see blood sugars drop over the course of longer animated phone conversations.. :cwds:

8. KatieSue

KatieSue Approved members

Happened at our house just this afternoon.

9. Mish

Mish Approved members

all the time.

Any sort of work (or play) that requires brain power sends my son ridiculously low.

10. LJM

LJM Approved members

We have seen this with Math in particular and now we see drops when he drives (just learning--seems to take instense concentration).

11. ashtensmom

ashtensmom Approved members

We have noticed for a while now that her bgs Are lower on school days and on weekends need temp basal increases and have contributed this to concentrating at school because she gets way better bgs without any excercise while in school.

12. denise3099

denise3099 Approved members

Absolutely. Your body can use other sources to convert into glucose, but your brain can't. That's why when you're low your brain goes wonky but your lungs and heart don't stop and your muscles don't stop. your brain eats up a disportional amount of glucose.

DD went low every time she was learning a new violin piece.

13. Lightly Salted

Lightly Salted Approved members

Yes, especially when doing his math lessons. Just this morning, I moved math up from after lunch to test this theory -- still dropped low even immediately after breakfast.

14. Megnyc

Megnyc Approved members

Yes, I actually tend to sip slightly sweetened ice tea while at the library (and not just for the caffeine!)

But if I am stressed while studying or concentrating my blood sugar will rise. I know last semester I had to increase my basal by 100% during/after orgo lecture.

15. pianoplayer4

pianoplayer4 Approved members

Not when studying but when ever I walk into walmart or JC penny's ;-) sometimes it seems like there is no reason, but if its happening consistently don't be afraid to eat before you hit the books:)

16. Joretta

Joretta Approved members

My DD rises most of the time at home. But, at school she goes low. She is stressed at home.

17. malyssa

malyssa Approved members

I tend to see big drops when I'm studying for any subject containing numbers; calc, chemistry, or physics. I usually need a temp. basal when I take exams in these subjects as well.