- advertisement -

Anyone planning on getting the US version of the Medtronic Veo when it comes out?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by ecs1516, Dec 28, 2012.

1. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

I have heard the US version of the Veo is suppose to come out 2013. Maybe spring. Anybody thinking about getting this?
    I would like to have one for my younger son.

2. Turtle1605

Turtle1605 Approved members

We are patiently waiting. They sure don't get in any hurry with these things.

3. T-bird

T-bird Approved members

Well, since I'm in Italy, I have one and I love it! :) I would definitely recommend it.

4. Megnyc

Megnyc Approved members

Maybe? I am torn between the dexcom and medtronic CGM. The dexcom is so much simpler but the medtronic is so much more accurate (for me). If I switch to Dexcom permanently I will probably move over to Animas if they ever manage to integrate.

But I spent Wednesday night with my bg bouncing between 38 and 50 all night. My pump was beeping constantly and both my boyfriend and I just slept through it. I either need the pump to alarm more loudly or shut off if I am that low for 6 hours. It has never happened before but it is terrifying to wake up and be that low and look back and see you have been that way for hours. Sadly, dexcom is not a solution because I am finding it is just not catching those lows as well as medtronic does.

Anyway, so yes I want/need the Veo. I have little faith it will be here anytime soon but it will probably be what keeps me with medtronic.

Last edited: May 14, 2013
  5. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Yes. We are out of warranty, and will upgrade as soon as the Veo is released here. My cousin works for Medtronic and told me that they expect it to be approved very soon. She said that they are doing what they call "fire drills" where the reps and other employees practice the rollout. The good thing is that MM gets their products to market very, very quickly after approval.

6. Danielle2008

Danielle2008 Approved members

Sure hope it comes out soon. It seems when one Diabetes product comes out, all the others follow right there, too. However, it then leaves several years of nothing new.

I don't know yet what I am going to do. My warranty goes up in February. I am going to re-look at all the pumps on the market. It would be nice if the Veo was available to look at when the shopping begins. I like my Paradigm 522, and have been happy with Medtronic. I am excited to see what people think of the new CGMs, but just upgraded to the new G4...so will keep that for awhile at least.

7. MHoskins2179

MHoskins2179 Approved members

Keep in mind, Medtronic only submitted this to the FDA in June 2012. And the Enlite CGM sensor isn't even out yet.

8. hawkeyegirl

They will release the Veo and the Enlite together. They cannot market the old sensors with the Veo and cannot market the Enlite sensors with the Revel. They are a package deal as far as the FDA is concerned.

9. funnygrl

funnygrl Approved members

I don't think we'll ever see the Veo in the US personally. I can't see the FDA approving low glucose suspend with the accuracy in current sensors. I frequently have the sensor glucose drop if I roll on top of it in my sleep.

10. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

True, but I have had the MM sensors catch many lows. Last night it went off at 85. I treated with three glucose tablets. ABout an hour later it alarmed 58. I assumed much be false maybe sleeping on it. The meter matched exactly the 58. Could not believe it.

11. hawkeyegirl

I have no doubt we'll see the Veo in the U.S., and almost certainly in the next year.

12. Ndiggs

Ndiggs Approved members

the 530g (U.S. Veo) is the new pathway, or whatever medtronic calls it, pump. We just got our daughters new medtronic pump last Friday, and they only sent us 30 days of sensors, as they said they did not want to over ship as they are being told to anticipate shipping new pumps/sensors by Jan/Feb.

We have had both the new pump and sensor on our daughter in a trial, and we LOVE it, the low suspend is very very nice, and we found the new sensor to be just as painless as the dexcom we had and very easy to put in, and more accurate to boot.

13. MelissaAL

MelissaAL Approved members

We are probably going to upgrade when it comes out. DD got her Revel at the beginning of Dec. We also got the integrated CGM, but have not started it yet(getting used to pumping first). Her dr wants us to wait until the Enlite comes out. In Nov she said it would be soon so I am encouraged by posts that others have heard the same.

14. dianas

dianas Approved members

I think it will be released very soon in the US. That's what I've been hearing from my endo and the reps. The FDA is actually allowing Medtronic to market this pump pre approval which is a first.

My understanding also is this pump is considered by the FDA to be more like the artificial pancreas so it's an entirely new category of devices apart from traditional insulin pumps. I thought I remembered reading a blurb a while back that these type of products were a higher priority for the FDA and supposed to be fast tracked. I can't remember where I heard that though so I'm sure there's some sort of marketing behind that statement but can't remember who's.

15. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

It sounds great!

16. Darryl

Darryl Approved members

It is hard to believe that something as simple and potentially life-saving as turning off insulin when BG is low would take so long to approve (even taking into account that the Medtronic sensors can have false lows when dd sleeps on it, these lows are temporary until she rolls over the other way which she'll do at some point).

My biggest fear about D is that no one responds to the CGM alarm, especially at night. If the Veo becomes available it will be - although a trivial advancement in technical terms - the single biggest advancement in D care since the CGM itself. Even if we switch to the G4 which we might do to get a better sensor range, we'd switch back to Medtronic if the Veo was available.

17. MHoskins2179

MHoskins2179 Approved members

Medtronic is not allowed to market this 530g pump before approval. And the 530g and Enlite were submitted together as a system, and it's not being given an expedited review by the FDA. Reps and doctors have been saying "soon" on both of these for a long time, even before the FDA submissions. No one aside from the FDA decision-makers know when this will happen; anyone else who says so is just speculating (or hoping).

18. funnygrl

funnygrl Approved members

The problem is it doesn't measure bg, it measures interstitial glucose levels, which can be entirely different from the actual bg. I personally have had terrible luck with medtronic sensors as it seems to just at some points pick a number and stay there for me. I've literally had it reading in the 50's when my meter said I was in the 200's. I do, however, for the sack of people that do have accurate readings and would benefit from it, hope it gets approved soon. The realist in me just doesn't see it happening. I've had diabetes for nearly 10 years now and have seen so many diabetes technologies that look good on paper never come to fruition, at least not in the US.

19. jules12

jules12 Approved members

We just went through having to buy a new pump at the end of the year because my son's pump broke and we were out of warranty. This is what our rep emailed to me. While I know some pump reps will say about anything to get you to purchase their products sometimes, this does sound like they are closer to releasing it. Whenever it comes out, we want the new pump.

"It is true that we cannot guarantee at this point that the new system will be launched before April, however we are confident that it will."

20. Darryl

Darryl Approved members

Maybe for you, but we've been using the Medtronic Guardian CGM for 6 years and it is very accurate, usually within 10 points of BG.