- advertisement -

Anyone NOT do a 504?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by mommylovestosing, Nov 10, 2011.

1. mommylovestosing

mommylovestosing Approved members

I have one in place for Ella this year, but just found out my hubby actually doesn't think it's necessary. He brought up the point that what if she catches on and purposefully makes herself high before a test she neglected to study for knowing that she can retake it? And where is the 504 in professional life? He doesn't think it should be a crutch for her to use now when there will not be something like that when she becomes an adult. He agree's with the need to test, treat lows, etc, but that's it.

Anyone else feel this way? It was hard for me to hear at first but I think I see where he is coming from. He strongly, strongly believes this should not be something that gets in her way of anything. He believes she should never use it as an excuse.

2. Butterfly Betty

Butterfly Betty Approved members

We don't have a 504 for Sophie, but only because I don't think it's needed at this point. Our school is small and all of her teachers, the aides, office people, cafeteria ladies, have been more than willing to do whatever we need to make her year easier. We do standarized testing this year and I've already sat down with both of her teachers and expressed my concerns on how we would handle them, what if she drops low, needs to test and treat. They'be both been very willing to work with me and her.

That said, in a few years when we hit Jr. High, we'll be readdressing this issue as things change a lot there. I have two boys there now and don't understand a lot of the policies they have in place and some that will not work with her needs.

3. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

She's 8, LOL. She has plenty of time to be exposed to the harsh realities of adult life.

If she abuses the 504, you deal with it then. It's not a reason not to do one.

4. KatieSue

KatieSue Approved members

We just did one last week. We hadn't had one before and the nurse and coordinator assured us that we didn't really need one but they easily did one at our request.

I was also worried about the idea that she could, if she thought about it, make herself high or low to get out of a test. It would be easier than another kid faking sick but I guess it's pretty much the same thing. I figure if there starts to be an issue we'll address it then. In junior high she did get out of PE quite a bit but she didn't intentionally make herself off.

Our 504 also puts some of the burden on her, which I do agree with. She needs to test a half an hour before a scheduled test to see if she's high/low which gives her enough time to correct before the test begins. If she's still having issues and doesn't do well on the test then she can re-take.

She also needs to test a half hour before any bus rides for field trips.

Honestly her schools, both junior and high schools, have been awesome to deal with. They're very familiar with T1. In junior high there were 14 T1s. The nurses send out memos at the beginning of the year, and at semester to all teachers with what to look for highs/lows. When to call the nurse etc.

One of the only reasons I even asked for one is we have had a couple of close calls. Last year during her health final her PDM went wonky. Luckily she had already finished the test. I ran over to the school and we got it all re-set before her next test. But..while we were on hold with Insulet she wanted to eat the snacks she had from health class, they had a party after the test, so I told her to just do an injection and eat while I figured out the pod issue. We hadn't done shots in forever. She told me the amount to verify and I kinda did a yea yea yea while I was on hold. As soon as she took the shot we both realized it was WAY WAY WAY too much insulin so then we had to cram her full of juice and cupcakes. She had another final after that and she actually did fine. So none of this ended up being a problem but it all could have been. And honestly I don't know that the teachers wouldn't have given her extra time to fix the PDM or let her re-take the other final. They may very well have, but now we do have some back up if we were to have something happen and they didn't help her out.

5. caspi

caspi Approved members

My son is presently in middle school and up to this point, both during elementary school and middle school (so far), we haven't needed it. They have been great about accomodating his needs. We have never had any issues at all.

THAT SAID, I will definitely have one in place before he starts high school. :cwds:

I get what your husband is saying that in "real life" adults aren't given a pass because they have "D", but these are children we're talking about here and the purpose of the 504 is to protect and ensure they receive the education they are entitled to. Should your child abuse the 504, then that is something you will have to deal with.

6. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

Danielle doesn't have a 504 but does have a health plan that is very detailed and has worked well so far. That said, I disagree with your husband. I think he is way overthinking it and is worried about things that may or may not happen in the future. As Karla said, deal with things as they arise. She is only 8.

When she is an adult she will have the Americans with Disabilites act that will assure she is treated equally. Does he think that is a "crutch"? If she ever applies for a job and is discriminated against because of her diabetes, I think he will be glad it is there.

I am planing to do the same as Christina and get a 504 in place before she goes to HS. As many have said here, it is better to have one in place before you need it.

7. thebestnest5

thebestnest5 Approved members

What should happen if your daughter has a high blood sugar (300+)? Do you expect her to take tests and do school work as if she has an in-range blood sugar?

8. KatieSue

I don't think it's so much of a crutch as an opportunity to learn. If you figure out in school that taking a huge test stresses you out and makes you high, then hopefully when you get a job and have a big stressful project due you'll know that it will make you high and test/adjust accordingly.

9. swimmom

swimmom Approved members

If she is going to be manipulative, you'll see that with or without a 504. To me, those are separate and unrelated issues.

We have only had to use Lauren's 504 a couple of times, but once involved a crimped cannula on the day of the math TAKS test (the state wide test in Texas). The administration appreciated having the 504 in place as much as we did because the rules around standardized testing are draconian.

Other times, she has delayed a homework deadline for one day if she was feeling unwell from a persistent high or if she had lows.

I think it's worth having.

10. TheTestingMom

TheTestingMom Approved members

I would never not have one. It's there to protect my child. We have a small school, great staff etc etc but things change, staff comes and goes but the 504 will be there to protect him if the need ever arises.

My son didn't have to be at the 504 meeting, I could have never told him and he'd be none the wiser.

11. mommylovestosing

And his response would be, "What about the kid who didn't get any sleep because "XYZ (insert something here - new baby screaming, parents fighting, etc..)? He won't anything to help him..."

I'm just sayin.' This is what I deal with. :(

12. mommylovestosing

He would say yes.

13. joan

joan Approved members

My son had a 504 for grammar and middle school. Once high school started we had a meeting and the school said "see how it goes without one, we are here to accommodate his needs, etc" so he never had one.

Things were fine. Yes, he took tests at >300 and <70. I remember how upset I got when he did poorly on a test and he said I was so low I couldn't think. That happened once and he learned.

When he had tests he was more focused on his blood sugar levels the class before to avoid this from happening.

He never wanted to have diabetes be an excuse for not taking a test or for doing poorly. In the long run he learned to be responsible for himself. He graduated in the top 3% of his class.

I am not saying this is the right way to do it but it was the right him for him.

14. thebestnest5

thebestnest5 Approved members

:(

Does he feel the same way about low blood glucose levels and school work/tests? The brain needs glucose just as much as it needs oxygen.

What about bathroom breaks during class? During high blood glucose, extra bathroom breaks are a need.

High and low blood glucose levels can have an affect on cognitive function.

http://www.dlife.com/diabetes/ask-a...hypoglycemia-affect-your-brain-and-what-.html

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8910814?dopt=Abstract

15. swimmom

swimmom Approved members

Since you already have one in place, how is it working out?

You (or your husband) might talk to the 504 coordinator or counselor about it from their perspective. A 504 can provide guidance and parameters for teachers and school administration that allow them to provide accommodations without getting in trouble with the standardized testing authorities (for example).

If he's worried that she is or might become a malingerer, then that's a different issue to address.

16. MamaC

MamaC Approved members

IMO, T1 is enough of a challenge for a kid to bear. Why deny the benefit of accommodations if necessary? Deal with the adult world as an adult.

17. samheis

samheis Approved members

I'll be requesting one in the next few days. We haven't had problems until now-3rd grade. Before, his teachers understood if he had to leave to check, snack, or potty, he might need some extra time to finish work, and would even send extra worksheets home for me to review with him in case he missed important lessons. His 3rd grade math teacher just can't seem to grasp this concept, so I'm hoping a 504 will help. I sort of wish I already had one in place. Sam failed math on his last report card. Some of it's him-there are learning issues here-but a lot of it is her not letting him have that extra time, It's been a mess. So now, 504 just to be prepared for these kind of teachers, cause I'm sure this won't be the first one we run into. I honestly don't think my son takes advantage of leaving the classroom, and I don't plan on discussing the specifics of the 504 with him. If he's lying about the blood sugar (ie. he says he's hot to get out of class) well, the meter won't lie, and we'll deal with it then.

18. Lenoremm

Lenoremm Approved members

So if your daughter gets to high school and just gets a lousy schedule she will need to deal with it? It is possible my kid could have a 7:45am start and not have lunch before 1pm. If gym is in the mix, maybe even at 12:15 or so, he would be in a bad way by the time he got to the cafeteria at 1:00pm. Snacking outside the cafeteria is only permitted by a few teachers at our high school. We could not rely on this. The 504 gives us some flexibility but does not allow us to dictate the scheduling. It provides for snacks and bathroom breaks. DS knows if it is abused or taken advantage of there will be consequences. It is in place to keep him safe.

Very few adults have jobs that would not allow for a break mid morning if necessary but very few schools provide that break. The 504 accommodates for this, it is really not a crutch.

What about the ACT or SAT? Should a D child take a three hour test without a snack or time to check blood sugar? Mine could not without risking a dangerous low. If the 504 is not in place the testing accommodations will not be made.

19. sarahspins

sarahspins Approved members

Ugh.. D is quite a bit different than not getting enough sleep due to a crying baby or something similar. Sometimes I wish that people who don't understand the profound effects that highs or lows can have on brain function could actually experience them for themselves.

I'm sorry that your husband doesn't understand, but the 504 protects your daughter's rights at school. It's not a crutch, it's certainly not an excuse to get out of doing things, and I don't think it could be used as easily to manipulate things as your husband expects. It essentially allows for modification when it's required, which is not all the time.

The good news is though, that you can get the 504 in place without your husband being involved :)

20. KatieSue

That's actually not true - we got SAT accommodations before we did the 504. The counselor said it can make it easier to get them but it's not necessary.

Also having one in place, doesn't mean it will ever get used. I think of it more as a just in case safety net.

In the grown up world if you have a project on a deadline and don't complete it there will be consequences. If you're not functioning at your job because your sugars are off sure you could have a problem. But kids aren't grown ups. With all the extra responsibilities our kids have 24/7 a little help here and there to get them along isn't, in my opinion, going to make them into irresponsible slackers later in life.