- advertisement -

Anyone need blood ketone strips?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by tiffanie1717, Oct 20, 2009.

1. tiffanie1717

tiffanie1717 Approved members

I was getting four boxes a month with my insurance and they are piling up. Some expire in February and I know I won't use them all. I have about 12 boxes I would like to send to people that can use them. I'd love to give them to those that are having a hard time finding them. These are for the Precision Xtra blood ketone meter.

Maybe 1 or 2 boxes/person? Pm me if you're interested. First come, first served. :)

2. CADMOM

CADMOM Approved members

I have seen the blood ketone machine mentioned here. Our endo/CDE has never mentioned us getting one.....Has this replaced the urine ketone strips?
    Also we are on MDI could that be why?

3. joy orz

joy orz Approved members

The precision extra meter is a great meter. It reads BG's and ketones. (two different types of strips) The blood ketones show up much sooner than the urine, so you can treat earlier. It's worth having.

I can send a few boxes off as well, if someone pm's me.

4. CADMOM

CADMOM Approved members

So do most people have both? Does insurance cover the meter and strips if you are using a regular blood glucose meter?

5. Gaia

Gaia Approved members

I finally convinced Joey's endo to get us a blood ketone meter and she's mailing it out today. Ive told them more than once that its a pain to wait for him to pee to check ketones. Sometimes he goes hours! :eek: I have no idea what brand though but I'll check this thread once it comes. :cwds:

6. 22jules

22jules Approved members

There is only one blood ketone meter--the precision extra. It is a lot easier to check ketones (just like a bg test) than using the urine strips.

You can buy these meters at walgreens, cvs, etc. but I would ask your endo for one--they usually have a stash.

We only use the precision as a ketone tester. We use our ultralink for bg tests so we don't have the insurance company buying two types of blood glucose strips. Our insurance covers the ketone strips, but I'm not sure if all do. Luckily we don't have to check ketones too often.

Does not matter if pumping or mdi but I think more endos suggest them when pumping because using only short-acting insulin could let one develop ketones faster if there is a problem.

7. Gaia

Gaia Approved members

Thanks Julie... I didnt know that. :)

8. Jacque471

Jacque471 Approved members

We got our meter for $10 at Walgreens and use it only for Ketones when needed. The strips however are super expensive. They are about $50 for 10 strips.

With our high deductible plan we had to pay OOP until we met it so that was quite a shock. And our Endo did not recommend using them (they prefered the Ketostix). I persisted and got a script for 1 box a month. Next time I needed scripts I had them change it to 3 boxes a month.

Then we changed insurance so now it's a $40 co-pay so I had them increase it to 6 boxes a month. Still quite a bit for 60 strips, but when he is sick it is worth it. I just sent out some boxes to a CWD memeber because they were expriing in July and I wasn't sure we would get through our whole stash.

I stopped ordering them monthly now and just order when I feel I need to, since I have enough on hand to get through a couple of illnesses if needed, plus the random checks we do since Logan has Ketones every morning when he wakes up. If he goes high and stays there after waking we generally assume it is Ketone related and the insulin has all gone to them, so then we check and dose accordingly. If we check randomly when he wakes, then he gets extra insulin for the Ketones along with his wake up bolus and he levels out faster.

9. tiffanie1717

Strips are gone. Sorry I didn't have more! :)

10. Kalebsmom

Kalebsmom Approved members

We also have some I could spare if someone could use them. Just send me a PM. I would like these to go to some one that either has no insurance or their insurance does not cover them.

11. tiffanie1717

Just wanted to update those that pm'ed me. I am only sending out one box per person because of the overwhelming response. Just wanted you to know! :) sorry I couldn't send two to each of you! (I don't have enough! :) )

Oh, and I'm ripping the pharmacy label off so your box might be a bit mangled. Just a bit. :)

12. Seans Mom

Seans Mom Approved members

I say forget the box and send them in envelopes, less postage. They are individually sealed in foil and have the exp. dates on them, the "code key" or whatever that thing is called will fit with no problem. Just my 2 cents. ;)