- advertisement -

Anyone know of Canadian forums?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by kas77, Apr 29, 2010.

1. kas77

kas77 Approved members

Hi, I am from Canada and have been trying to find a good diabetes website where I can talk to other Canadians predominantly. I have learned so much coming here, but I always feel awkward having to convert my readings and sometimes feel like everyone else is speaking a different language.

I've tried looking up Canadian forums, but then when i go to them it turns out that there are no (or very few) Canadians there.

I'm not good with computers, so I am probably not looking right, but if anyone can recommend a site I would be ever so grateful.

2. Snowbound

Snowbound Approved members

This is the only forum I use - it's where all the cool kids hang out. :D

You'll quickly get used to doing the conversion from mmol and other than that the only differences I see are the discussions about health coverage and the school 504's.

Beyond that there are a lot of very good and useful discussions. Also, if you have any Canadian specific issues and put that in the thread title you'll find lots of responses.

3. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

http://childrenwithdiabetes.com/converter.htm

I'm not Canadian, but I play one on TV.:eek::D Just goofing off.

The above is a BG converter link. Maybe bookmark it on your pc or add it in your signature line, so people can do a quick conversion? For adding a siggy line, go to User CP (left side of your screen), then Edit Signature. Save changes.

:)

4. danismom79

danismom79 Approved members

I know there are several members from Ontario, though I can't think of any names right now.

5. Snowbound

If you select the Community dropdown in the blue menu bar, you'll see a Social Groups option. Pick that then at the lower right of the Random Groups box you'll see Show All Groups.

Select that and you'll find that there are two Canadian groups, one has 24 members and the other 17. Nothing much happens in these groups but you can see a list of some of the Canadian members.

6. kas77

kas77 Approved members

Thanks, I wonder why there are so little activty from Canadians anywhere I go.

7. Snowbound

where do you go?

8. Hollyb

Hollyb Approved members

Hi from another Canadian. I couldn't even be bothered linking to the online converters so I just worked up a little chart I can keep open beside the CWD screen when I'm here. It's not exact but it puts you in the ball park. Feel free to copy and paste!

36=2
    54=3
    72=4
    108=6
    144=8
    180=10
    216=12
    252=14
    288=16
    324=18
    360=20

9. ShanaB

ShanaB Approved members

I'm not sure why you think there is very little activity from Canadians, there are a lot of us here that post regularly. Plus, diabetes is a universal disease...no matter where you live, you deal with the same ups and downs.

I'm also not sure what you are converting...:rolleyes:

10. kas77

kas77 Approved members

Good to see another Ontarian here.

11. kas77

kas77 Approved members

What I am converting is the number my glucometer gives me. From what I understand I am reading in mmol something and so I have numbers like 6 for normal and 25 for dangerously high, but most the posts I have come across are in mg/dl(?) something so the numbers are more like 110 so I have to multiply my number or divide their number by 18 to equivalate (is that even a word).

Sometimes I feel like such a moron here.:(

12. canadianmomto6

canadianmomto6 Approved members

Another Ontarian here ( we're in Windsor). I've found so much useful information here and there are quite a few Canadians that are regular posters. You get used to the number conversions pretty quickly.

13. owensmom

owensmom Approved members

Just because we don't post regularly doesn't mean that we are not here. How this disease impacts our children and our families does not change at the border. CWD has been an absolute blessing for our family and I hope that in time you may come to feel this way too.

14. kas77

kas77 Approved members

This place IS great, don't get me wrong. I have learned so much here already and am so grateful for the wealth of knowledge that is shared here. I am just a little dismayed how difficult it is to find anywhere more specific to Canadians. It's always nice to talk to people who are more familiar with your "home".

I'm not very good with computers and thought maybe I was just missing something that would link me up with other Canadians.

I'm sure I will get used to it. There have been a few links posted here to help me, if I can figure out how to apply them, until then I have found a little calculator to keep nearby and I'm sure after a time I will be able to make sense of the numbers I am seeing without having to convert them.

15. ShanaB

ShanaB Approved members

Sorry, didn't realize you had a glucometer...
    http://forums.childrenwithdiabetes.com/showthread.php?t=53078

16. Tuff

Tuff Approved members

17. Mody_Jess_Pony

Mody_Jess_Pony Approved members

I'm from Nova Scotia :) and this is the only forum I use

18. kas77

kas77 Approved members

Nova Scotia is beautiful. My Uncle lives on a base there, well, when he's on land anyway.

19. Skyefire

Skyefire Approved members

There are lots of us on here..lol If is makes you feel better just post in mmol, most people on the forums are use to looking at both and can usually understand what we are talking about. Holly I have the same thing printed off,It is a great way to get to understand the difference, just remember when reading a post if you know the "range" of the number you will be fine.

under 70mg is low
    70-160mg is in good range for most. (4-9mmol)
    180-270mg is a bit high (10-15 mmol)
    290-400mg is high (16-22 mmol)
    above 400mg is very high (above 22 mmol)

but if I want to know the actually number to look I just x18 So I truly understand what people are talking about.

I found once I started reading in ranges and not numbers it made life a bit less stressful :)

20. Mody_Jess_Pony

Mody_Jess_Pony Approved members

I also used www.diabetesdaily.com for awhile :) and I think I know the bases your talking about Probably the one in Halifax if he's Navy