- advertisement -

Anyone juicing?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by mmacys, Jun 16, 2010.

1. mmacys

mmacys Approved members

I just dusted off my Mom's commercial juicer and want to make juice for the kids. Anyone else juicing for their little T1(s)? How do you carb count and dose?

Any good recipes? Do you mix with protein powders? I was told no juice when we left the hospital at dx, but DS loves tomato juice and we bolus just fine for it. I would imagine that he can tolerate some fresh berry juices, carrot, tomato, beets and/or greens very well. Maybe some apple or a bit of orange added for taste.

Hope there's other juicing parents out there! I would rather not reinvent the wheel if others have helpful hints.

Thanks, Michele

Mom to Xander, dx 03/13/2010 at 25 months old on a Ping

2. Denise

Denise Approved members

I don't juice but I'm not sure why you were told no juice after dx. We were told that while some foods are harder on bg's ..that we shouldn't deprive her of things. It's interesting how diff docs have diff ideas. :)

3. emm142

emm142 Approved members

At dx, I was told I could eat everything.. EXCEPT full sugar drinks and fruit juices. However, I've since learnt that I can deal with fruit juice as long as I prebolus by about 15-20 minutes. It's trial and error, but I'm sure you'll be able to make it work. :cwds:

4. NomadIvy

NomadIvy Approved members

We're experimenting with it. Last time I made something for ~K, I measured small quantities, each one separately (I made a blueberry smoothie), and just added it up. Somebody here posted something about measuring

Juicing greens is supposed to be healthy! The girls ate bitter gourd with their dinner this evening. Now if I can juice bitter gourd and Kale, and have them drink that, that would be great. (Bitter gourd is supposed to be good in controlling BG levels.)

Unsweetened pineapple juice is not hard on BGs. It has a lower glycemic index than most juices. I wonder if your doc meant no artificial, sweetened juices?

5. mmacys

mmacys Approved members

The juice rule came from the dietition at the hospital. The dietition at my doctor's office is more flexible because our son has so many allergies and we do some trial and error. Up until this point, I only use a little bit of fruit juices to flavor water so he's not bored (and for lows.) I am going to try some apple carrot mix this morning and will let folks know how the bolus goes. I don't pre-bolus yet because my son is unpredictable in whether or not he will eat what I put out for him.

As usual - the forum is so helpful.

6. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

I don't like bolusing for juice.:eek: We also were not told it was off limits, but we try not too give it too often.
    Lucky us, they have juice everyday at school:eek:. I tried to avoid that in the beginning but the nurse slapped my hand and said "He already has D. Don't make him feel any more different." Yeah, well, ok. We've been actually doing pretty good with the bolus for school juice, but it's because he eats at that time too.
    Juice alone kills us.:eek:

7. mom24grlz

mom24grlz Approved members

we were told Ashleigh could eat whatever she wanted, we just had to make sure to give her the correct amount of insulin. There wasn't any food or drink that we were told to avoid.

8. mmacys

mmacys Approved members

The juicing went well today - we combined with meals though to make it easier. I cut the carb count over regular juice and just added the carbs into the meal bolus. We had a little of rhubarb strawberry with breakfast and a little apple carrot with lunch. He loved it. I might opt to add some protein powder to make it more of a smoothie to lengthen the absorption, but overall am so happy that we are expanding our D-diet horizons. Lots of fresh produce around now!

9. jjules

jjules Approved members

right before my son was dx i was into making fruit smoothies and was trying to get a juicer off ebay and see whether it was something we would use. you have just convinced me to continue on with this idea :)

10. kyles_mom

kyles_mom Approved members

We weren't specifically told no fruit juices, but it's funny how we look at it pretty much as just medicine now.

Kyle is a major V8 lover, so he has that often plus he's a milk fanatic so those and crystal light (double strength, no less ewwwww) are staples in my house. My sis in law just gave me a juicer, I havent experimented with it yet, I'll keep an eye on this thread and maybe get motivated to try it out :D