- advertisement -

Anyone joining Camp Sweeney TX on Sunday?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by angiej, Jul 14, 2009.

1. angiej

angiej Approved members

Just a call to see if anyone else from the list is heading to Camp Sweeney, third session on Sunday?

We are flying to the USA on Thursday, have a few days to get used to the heat and the time zones changes and Alice is very excited!!!

Alice has just turned 7, and this will be her first experience of Camp. She has had weeks away from us in the past, but is looking forward to making lots of new friends and doing all the fun activities - I also think she is looking forward to the late nights and late night activities!!!

We know one girl from the UK who is coming - the girls met each other at Christmas - so there will be at least one friendly face she knows (and about 200 friendly faces she doesn't know yet!)

Anyone?

2. emm142

emm142 Approved members

Just wanted to say I hope she has a really great time!! I'm from the UK too (Essex).

3. angiej

angiej Approved members

Hi Emm - thank you - I hope she has a great time too :D I am pretty sure it will be a marmite experience, she will either love it or hate it, and I am certain she will love it!

I am all packed and ready to go - can't wait :D

4. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

I have lived in Texas since 1982 and I am still not used to the heat. It is a shock to my system every year. I can't wait until the end of October when it begins to cool down.

5. angiej

angiej Approved members

We will be in Gainesville - north of DFW - should we expect dry-mega-hot or humid-damp-mega-hot?

6. Bobbie

Bobbie Approved members

Yes.....I live near Dallas and the weather is HOT, HOT, HOT right now! Maybe a cool down......below 100 is expected this weekend.
    Hope your daughter enjoys Camp Sweeney! My 9 year old isn't quite ready for the 3 week camp yet. Wish they still had the 1 week sessions.
    I suggest you enjoy yourself by poolside or near a lake.

7. mathcat

mathcat Approved members

I suspect humidity is moderate but I am not from the area. The weather report does show the chance of rain though (notice the high of 105 today though). At least after that it may go down to the 90s.

http://www.weather.com/weather/tenday/USTX0496?from=36hr_topnav_undeclared

I just looked again: the humidity right now at 7:55 am is 68% and the temperature is 78.

http://www.weather.com/outlook/events/weddings/local/USTX0496?from=search_weddings

8. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

When it gets hot -- in the 100s -- the humidity is low (down in the 20% range). At night and early morning the humidity is higher -- in the upper 60% range.

9. JenPatterson

JenPatterson Approved members

My daughter went to the first session. She is 12. She absolutely loved it. They keep them so busy and entertained. It was very hot when she was there in June, but I just asked her and she told me that the only thing offered outdoors in the afternoons (heat of the day) is swimming and waterpark. All the other outdoor activities are either inside, in the morning or evening. It can still be hot, but they take lots of precautions - lots of fluids, etc. She'll be fine and will have a blast! The video streams are awesome for getting to see her during those three weeks.

10. clb1968

clb1968 Approved members

I am just south of Gainsville, it is 101 right now , we are supposed to cool off to the 90's later this week. It is hot and humid.
    the humidity is at 24%, so dry , the rain is supposed to come on Thursday night, and then it will cool off a little bit.

Are you staying in Texas long, we are trying to get a CWD meet together in the Ft Worth/Dallas area and it would be great to have you there. There is a thread in the OT forum about it.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2009
  11. angiej

angiej Approved members

Wow! thanks for that - sounds like she had a great time - I am sure Alice will too :D

12. goochgirl

goochgirl Approved members

Glad you are coming!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I hope we get to meet you and your family while you are here. It is hot here!! If you can get used to drinking iced tea, you will be fine. Trade you a pump pouch for Chocolate covered Hobnobs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Can't get them here; heartbreaking.

13. angiej

angiej Approved members

In that heat!? Choc covered hob nobs will last about 30 seconds ... if that lol!

Iced tea sounds OK - I could get used to that, although a proper cuppa would be better (and yes, I have packed my tea bags - its gonna be nearly a month you know :rolleyes:

Is anyone in DFW on Monday - maybe meeting up for a coffee? We are in the Stockyards hotel for a night ...

14. Christy'smom

Christy'smom New Member

We will be joining you at Camp Sweeney on Sunday! This will be my daughter Christy's first time. She's 13 and was diagnosed last October. Any packing tips or advice on how a messy kid can better organize her stuff for 3 weeks?

Looking forward to meeting some "veteran" moms.

Tracy (Lubbock Texas)

15. Brynn

Brynn Approved members

I MIGHT be taking a child up there on Sunday for a friend of mine as a favor! I should know probably later on today! Camp Sweeney is awesome, I was a camper there for a few years. The summer here, right now, not so wonderful.

16. angiej

angiej Approved members

Hi Tracy.
    Apparently (according to others I have talked to) they only get a couple of shelves for their stuff, so I have tried to sort Alice's stuff into bags (shoe bag, undies bag) etc so that she can find stuff within her big bag - at least at the start! Other than that, just label *everything* :)

seer you at the new camper parents induction meeting maybe :)

angie x

17. angiej

angiej Approved members

I don't know - yes, it is hot here (I know you all tried to warn me, but really, how can you explain this heat?!), but you can't compare it with back home - according to friends right now there are floods, rainstorms and endless lightening ... I know where I would rather be ;)

18. Brynn

Brynn Approved members

Oh yeah, its pretty bad right now, wait until Aug, thats when it really gets hot!:D

19. clb1968

clb1968 Approved members

Hey, now it is almost 20 degrees cooler today then it was yesterday.

20. goochgirl

goochgirl Approved members

Hobnobs don't last 30 seconds around me, anyway!!!! You are going to LOVE the stockyards hotel!! I'd love to meet you for coffee... or a beer (you're going to have to get used to drinking it cold, too!) !