- advertisement -

Anyone heard of DARS (disability assistance and rehabilitative services)(sorry long)

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by Tena, Aug 22, 2009.

1. MissEmi

MissEmi Approved members

Actually, income is secondary, they look at what you have to do to manage/control your condition primarily. Also, after they evaluate your case, after they take it, they never re-evaluate again, so if you don't have a job when you go there, and you get one after they decide to do something for you, it doesn't matter :) Hope this helped.
    --Emily

2. cindyrn6617

cindyrn6617 Approved members

What great news!!! I'm so happy for you and your dd.

3. cindyrn6617

cindyrn6617 Approved members

Absolutely!

4. dqmomof3

dqmomof3 Approved members

Me too, Ellen. And as much as we all wish our kids didn't have to do what they do, the fact is that they do. If there is any reward they can gain from a lifetime of a disease that does not sleep, I am all for it!

5. NicksMother

NicksMother Approved members

Every state has some sort of program because it is a federal mandate. In Pennsylania the program is throught the Office of Vocational Rehabilitation Services. I worked as a counselor for them for about 5 years. At least when I worked for them, most students with Type 1 will meet the eligibility guildelines. Once eligibility is estabilished, then, the question becomes what services are necessary for the client to become gainfully employed. Employment is the unltimate goal. If it is determined, it is in the best interest for the client to continue their education, financial assistance may be offered but household income is taken into consideration. Not all clients receive the same fiancial assistance for schooling.

The program isn't just about financial assistance. My job title was Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor. A big part of my job was counseling people with disabilities to help them make appropriate career decisions. The focus in employment decisions was supposed to always be on the clients abilities not limitations.