- advertisement -

Anyone have similar experience? Stubborn, unexplained lows

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Lynnieg123, Feb 4, 2014.

1. Lynnieg123

Lynnieg123 Approved members

It's only been 2 days this has happened, but I can't come up with any viable explainations and I was wondering what other people have experienced. DD is 8.5, diagnosed 3 years ago, sugars are always a bit unstable but the last 2 days she wakes up in range, has the same breakfast she always has, same insulin she's had for weeks and weeks, and within 2 hours her BG is 40. It has been taking 8-10 glucose tabs + juice,a nd suspending her pump to get her back into normal range - and even that has been taking close to an hour. Obviously I'll be changing her breakfast ratio and possibly her basals tonight but I was wondering if there might be something I'm overlooking. I don't think she is sick and it's too early for puberty hormonal hell on the BGs, right? Please say right. She rarely has stubborn lows like this and I'm hoping it's just a weird phase that will go away in another few days.

Thanks,

Lynne

2. mamattorney

mamattorney Approved members

We're not 3 years in and my daughter is in puberty hell, but my daughter has been really low recently, too. I dropped her basals by 10% across the board on Saturday and that helped some, but she was low a couple of times yesterday and then - 49 today less than an hour after lunch. She ate around 40 carbs before she came back up. Even with all the carbs and an 85% temp basal (of the new settings) she was still only 128 at 3:00p.m.

3. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

During the first 5 or so years we'd suddenly have these random "no diabetes" days. In fact we very occasionally have them still. Just a few days when she seemed to need almost no insulin without any evident virus or stomach bug. Just happened ;-) Sometimes those islet cells just get the better of the T cells ;-)

But I just noticed that you're in New England - you know that cold can make for lower bgs, right? That might be part of it if she's out in the cold playing or even walking and possibly, I suppose, if her bedroom is colder than normal overnight ( I know ours have been this winter ;-))

Last edited: Feb 4, 2014
  4. abdabs

abdabs Approved members

We had this happen recently. My son had a stomach virus, and a super bad one at that. I got it 2 days later with milder symptoms. My daughter never got it (no puking, that is), BUT her BG's were super low for several days. I think it was her version of the virus with no other outward symptoms. This may not be the case for you guys, but I thought I'd throw it out there!

5. wilf

wilf Approved members

Any chance of inadvertent extra boluses, by you or her?

6. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

It's a series of steps, a series of specific buttons that have to be pressed, in sequence, to bolus on this pump (on any pump) "Inadventent" bolusing just doesn't happen.

7. wilf

wilf Approved members

Who knew?! :)

8. Ali

Ali Approved members

When I was younger I assumed all my weird super low days were either hormonal or residual activity days. I am now "older" and I just finished a 36 hour period of very very low numbers. I pump and have this happen sometimes without an obvious hormonal or exercise reason. For me I think I am putting my sets into areas that are absorbing the insulin more or less efficiently. If you are young and not pumping I would assume hormonal changes. These weird lows and highs for me over the last few years are new (after getting out of hormonal issues) so I am assuming site issues. For you, it could be numbers were impacted by were you injected or placed a pump set or hormonal or exercise or illness factors. You have way more variables at a young age than I do but put the injection or pump place into the equation also.ali