- advertisement -

Anyone have lower basal needs from 3-7am than 12-3am?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by rutgers1, May 26, 2013.

1. rutgers1

rutgers1 Approved members

Every time we get a new regimen for our son, there is a higher basal rate in the early morning hours. However, I am finding that he generally runs high from midnight to 3 and progressively falls from 3 to wakeup at 7. If allowed to sleep, he will also fall from 7 to 9.

To me, it seems like switching the basal rates between those two times (the morning is currently slightly higher than the night) would make more sense. I am just wondering if our endo is maintaining the current rate (with more basal given early morning) because the general perception is that kids need more insulin in the morning.

Anyone else need LESS insulin early morning than late at night?

2. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

On the weekends I will set my 15 year old on a temp rate from when I get up - say 6-7:00 because oddly, she seems to need only about 50% basal then till she gets up - maybe 11:00 or even noon, on non-sport mornings.

My feeling is that every kid is different and no textbook covers them all. Dose as the numbers dictate and don't worry about what they, are "supposed" to do.

As Badshoe says, "YDMV"

Last edited: May 26, 2013
  3. katerinas

katerinas Approved members

It totally makes sense to me. As we are on MDI I give him regular insulin to cover the hours 12-3

4. sugarmonkey

sugarmonkey Approved members

DS often drops after 3am. His basal is highest 9pm-12am. 3am is quite a bit lower.

5. kiwikid

kiwikid Approved members

We're now going straight through from 6pm until 11am at 1.1 units per hour *eek*... I remember when we had basal alternating of .05 and .00 ... You have to do what works for you.. :cwds:

6. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Highest basal here is 8pm-midnight. Midnight-4am is lower.

7. lmf1122

lmf1122 Approved members

DDs lowest basal rate is from 3am to 5am and then it goes up considerably (almost double) at 5am and even higher about an hour before breakfast.

8. SarahKelly

SarahKelly Approved members

Isaac's basal rates drop at midnight (half of previous) and then again at 2am (half again) and they don't go back up until 7am.

9. Ali

Ali Approved members

Upon waking my insulin needs increase. If I sleep in I keep dropping. So I have figured that my basal rates tend to be based on the fact that I get up about the same time most days and by in general starting to increase my basal rates in preparation of getting up I can control those morning highs better, but when I sleep in that increase causes a low. So I adjust for weekends with my basals. Ali

10. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

yes basal and ISF, especially after 4am till 6:30.