- advertisement -

Anyone have experience with Providence Healthcare?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by anna-bananna, Jun 29, 2013.

1. anna-bananna

anna-bananna Approved members

Hi All,

My husband has changed jobs, giving us the opportunity to change insurance companies. We have had Kaiser (which I've had nearly all my life), and are considering a change to Providence Healthcare.

I wondered if anyone had any pros or cons they want to pass along?

We live in the Pacific Northwest, if that makes any difference.

Thank you for any thoughts.

2. Wren

Wren Approved members

I like Providence

We've been very happy with Providence.

A few caveats- DD was only diagnosed 6 months ago, and we're just now moving to a pump. We're on the "open" not HMO plan. We are double-covered - both my husband and I are subscribers through Providence, so co-pays, deductibles, etc. are picked up through secondary, so we pay nothing out of pocket. I don't know how much our coverage, formulary, etc, depends on our employer's contract (State of Oregon/PEBB).

We order pen needles, meters, strips, pump supplies through Providence Home Services, and I think this may be the best part. Providence Home Services is great. Takes 2 -3 days to get supplies, and they offered have rush shipped supplies while waiting for a prescription if needed. They were able to get the prescription the same day from the dr, and we got the regular shipment next day. Mostly I like Providence Home Services because they seem knowledgeable and get the right prescription from the endo for us. The communication between the endo, insurance, and home services seems to happen seamlessly and fast. You can get these through a pharmacy or another mail order company instead if you want.

We get lantus, novalog, and glucagon through pharmacy. No problems.

I recently checked and found that Providence will pay to EMTs to treat hypoglycemia whether you go to the ER or not. I checked after learning here that some will not.

They paid the full ER bill, 2 hour ambulance ride from community hospital to Portland, all charges at children's hospital. Bills were paid fast.

Compared to the problems I've read about here -- like slow shipments, getting enough strips/insulin to cover day-to-day variation in doses, restrictive formulary, etc. -- we haven't had any of that.

Providence also has a diabetes educator/case manager nurse call periodically. We haven't really needed this, and can decline, but has some benefits, too.