- advertisement -

Anyone have an extra One Touch Ultra 2 download cable?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Nancy in VA, Jan 4, 2015.

1. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

I don't know how with 3+ One Touch meters that I don't have a download cord, but I don't. I never had to download the meter when we had the Animas because we could just download the pump. But, I need to download the meter now. I figured before I bought one on the One Touch web site, I'd check here to see if anyone has one they want to get rid of cheap! Thanks!

2. caspi

caspi Approved members

Nancy, I'd call them and ask them to send you one. If they tell you there's a cost involved, remind them that your child uses approximately 300 of their test strips a month. :wink: That works every time for me. :smile:

3. Nancy in VA

Christina: I'll have to do that. I don't know how I don't have a cable. I bought one off Amazon back in November but it didn't work so I had to send it back. I've borrowed a neighbor's a couple of times but figured I better have my own!! :)

4. mom24grlz

mom24grlz Approved members

I have 3-4 one touch ultra 2s and none of them have the download cable. Not sure how that happened.

5. Nancy in VA

No luck on a free cable. I told them it was ridiculous to have to pay $30 for a cable. They told me the Dr could download the meter and I told them that I was a bit more proactive about management and didn't just look at the number once every four months. I also told them it was ridiculous to pay for a proprietary connection when everything else has gone USB. So, I guess on principal, I will investigate a new meter when we run out of our current OneTouch strips.

6. jenm999

jenm999 Approved members

Just to play Devil's advocate, but why do you bother downloading the meter data at all? You have all that data in your Dex reports (and most in your pump too, unless you were doing a carb only bolus). I just started using Diasend where i can see insulin and BG side by side and it's just amazing. Both the Dex and tslim can connect using a cheap mini USB cable. Pretty much our meter is only used now to calibrate and verify the Dex.

Also, pre Dex I used the One Touch software which is utter crap, plus you'd be missing the meter at school or your travel kit if you have multiple meters.

7. Nancy in VA

I downloaded the Dex and t:slim together last night so maybe I don't, but the Endo won't make changes off of the CGMS data, only the meter data. so, maybe it only matters on Endo day - I guess I hadn't thought of it that way. I guess I thought I was missing a piece of data if I didn't have the meter data in the mix when analyzing numbers.

We only use one meter - she doesn't go to school and she uses one meter exclusively. got in that habit with the Ping remote and we've stuck with it! Extra meter only comes out when we travel to make sure I have a backup meter.

8. jenm999

jenm999 Approved members

Wow! Our CDE and endo only look at the Dex data for patterns. Don't buy the generic cable on ebay. That's what I did because I think it's outrageous to pay for a cable when you are buying $$$ strips every month. But it doesn't work, though I'm not convinced it's the cable - could be the crappy software drivers, my old USB port, or any number of things. Good luck!

9. Nancy in VA

I did initially buy a cable on Amazon. It didn't work and I quickly got a refund and returned it. Nice thing about Prime - didn't pay for shipping either way!

10. dianas

dianas Approved members

In Lifescan's defense the Verio does come with a more standard cable I think it's a micro USB. Can you switch to the Verio IQ for future data? That comes with a cable and all you'd need is a new prescription. And since it's also made by Lifescan I would think your insurance would cover the new strips.

11. Nancy in VA

Diana: I may switch. Right now, I have almost 6 months worth of One Touch regular strips that I want to use up. I did tell them it was ridiculous that the entire world has standardized on USB except for them!

12. jenm999

jenm999 Approved members

Tell that to Apple! </off topic>

13. Nancy in VA

I'm with ya! At least one end of the Apple cord is USB. So, when I travel I only have to take ONE charging brick - I just take my big iPad one and can use that for my Kindle, my phone, OR my iPad. I can also use it for her Dexcom and her pump. My iPad and iPhone have the same wide plug so basically I can take 1 brick and 2 cords (1 wide Apple cord and 1 mini USB cord) and charge everything I need to charge.

14. mom24grlz

Our endo is the same way. Won't make changes off a cgm, and only meter readings. But we have never downloaded a meter ourself, the endo downloads them at appointments. I've only downloaded a pump 2-3 times in the 4 years she's used one. And the dexcom at least 3 times since starting it in Oct.

15. Nancy in VA

I don't mind making changes off the CGM. But I can get the Endo not doing so. Its "not approved" for those types of decisions and I can imagine they could be held medically liable if they make a medical recommendation for a child based on a CGM and then something happens to that child.

16. mom24grlz

I've been making changes based off meter readings for 4.5 years, and i can't bring myself to make them off the cgm yet. While her cgm most times is within 20% of her meter readings, it's not close enough that i'd be comfortable making changes.

17. caspi

caspi Approved members

Wow, that stinks that they won't send you a cable, Nancy. :( If you're thinking of switching meters when your "strip stash" is gone, you should get a new Rx before then and save up a few months worth of new strips. We now use the Verio and have been pleased with it.