- advertisement -

Anyone had this pod problem?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by redheadmom, Feb 9, 2011.

1. redheadmom

redheadmom Approved members

Have you had a pod appear to stop delivering insulin, but had NO alarm? I have had several incidents in the last couple of weeks where I watch my glucose level go sky high on the cgm for no apparent reason. Corrections via the pod do not work. I eventually replace the pod and within 15 minutes my cgm line levels out and then I start to come down. NO ALARMS. These pods are usually just a day old. Is it just me, or have others had these unexplained highs? I've used the pod for 3 years, and have never had this happen before. It also is not site related...it has happened in tummy and in arms (and my arms have no scar tissue.) What's really strange is that today I bolused with the "bad" pod off, and watched it deliver insulin. I could SEE the insulin coming out of the cannula. So what is going on?

2. chbarnes

chbarnes Approved members

Well, if you can see it deliver a bolus, it probably isn't the pod. Could it be the insulin? Any exposure to heat or cold?

3. redheadmom

redheadmom Approved members

Good thought...I'll open a new bottle and see what happens. Thanks.

4. JeremysDad

JeremysDad Approved members

This happened to us about 2 weeks ago but we know what happened. Jeremy bumped his pod while riding his bike. The pod looked fine after he bumped it. After his BG continued to rise, even after boluses, he removed the pod and found that the cannula had become dislodged so the pod was still infusing insulin, just not in his body. He did not see that it had become dislodged through the window.

5. etringali

etringali Approved members

I think we've had that a couple of times. It's been his cannula got dislodged or end of bottle it seems. If he's still rising after 2 corrections we generally do syringe and pod change.

6. chbarnes

If the cannula is dislodged you will usually see condensation, or fluid in the window. Sometimes there will be a little blood.

7. momof2here

momof2here Approved members

absolutely

Yes, we have had this many times - in fact, we had it yesterday. Everything was fine and then, his blood sugar began to rise and rise and rise and not respond to corrections. I checked the canula, it was in.

Removed the pod, bolused an additional .5 unit to jumpstart the pod, along with the correction and his bg went done within a 1/2 an hour.

Also, there have been many times, for us, that there is condensation in the window, without there being a canula issue so don't use that as your guide.

8. chbarnes

I failed to add, when we see condensation in the window and run a finger on the fabric we can smell insulin. Sometimes there can be leaking without the cannula being visibly dislodged. If the BG is high, we would change the pod.

Of course, if the BG is high, and you can't find a reason, it's a good idea to change the pod anyway - and if that doesn't work, get a fresh vial of insulin.