- advertisement -

Anyone ever gotten the Dex receiver wet and still had it work?

Discussion in 'Continuous Glucose Sensing' started by kyleesmom, Aug 18, 2009.

1. kyleesmom

kyleesmom Approved members

Kylee is at the lake with some friends and her receiver got dropped in the water. I told her to let it sit and dry out and hopefully it will still work. If not, I guess we will be buying another receiver. Im kicking myself for not sticking it in a plastic bag now, but I never thought it would matter.

2. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

Sorry to hear that. We put our Navigator receiver in a plastic bag when we're at the pool. I'm not sure it will do a lot of good if dropped in the water, but I figure every little bit will help.

3. sammysmom

sammysmom Approved members

Sorry, we have not had that happen (yet.) We do have an aquapac that we put it in when near the water...works perfectly.

4. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

Not toatally wet.

Put the receiver in a sock and then in a bag of dry rice. They rice should pull the moister out quicker. Good luck.

5. kyleesmom

kyleesmom Approved members

Well, they set it out to dry and when I talked to her tonight she said it is beeping and vibrating(she was just barely high), but you cant read the screen. She said it looks wet underneath the screen. Maybe there is hope, although if we cant read it, its pretty pointless. She wont be home until 6 tomorrow night either.

The story about how it got wet is interesting. She is at a reservoir with her friends family, and they have a boat. Her friend has been telling her how fun it is to ride the tube behind the boat, but Kylee was afraid to do it. She had taken off her Spibelt because they were jumping into the water, and hung it off the railing so it wouldnt get wet. They talked her into riding the tube and apparently the tube was leaning up against where whe had hung the Spibelt and somehow it got tangled up with the tube rope. Im wondering if she didnt hook the belt around the rope without realizing it. They didnt know it had happened until they pulled the tube back in and saw the belt hanging. I guess I should just be glad it was still there.

6. jan123

jan123 Approved members

My first Dexcom poped off my waistband and went swimming in the toliet! It never worked right after that. Some people I know have let the Dexcom dry out and it continued to work.

Good luck!
    Janice

7. kiwikid

kiwikid Approved members

Nope - it died instantly :( and completely.

8. Danda

Danda Approved members

It happened to us.
    Hannah trow it in the bathtub along with her "barbie friends" for a "swimming lesson" :eek:... It stayed there for a good 15-20 min. When I found it, I shake it the best I could, holding it with the charger port down. After that I put it on top shelf of the cupboard and left it there for 4-5 days. After that I charge it for 3-4 hours and start giving us readings again. Only problem was once disconnected from the charger, it got black. I guess the connections inside were still wet and the battery couldn't charge. After other 3 day of keeping it on charge mode all the time it started working fine, like before the "swimming lesson". We used for about 4 more months 'til we got the 7+

Note: I did not push any button and I try my best to not have it near the transmitor.

Next day I got to Cabela's and bought a dry pack(by kwik tek)http://www.shopatron.com/product/part_number=DP-46/697.0 :)