- advertisement -

Anyone else see this?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Reagan's Mama, Oct 21, 2007.

1. Reagan's Mama

Reagan's Mama Approved members

2. Brensdad

Brensdad Approved members

Parents Magazine must still have Mary Tyler Moore on its advisory board.

Now before everyone gets in a huff about MTM, she's just used as an illustration here. But you get the idea.

3. deafmack

deafmack Approved members

Mary Tyler Moore was diagnosed when they really did not allow a person with Diabetes to eat sugar. I have a friend who was diagnosed back then and she still follows that rule. Oh well....

4. Mama Belle

Mama Belle Approved members

This does not bother me. If I had a toddler I'd buy one, or one kinda like it. I don't want anyone feeding my kid carbs without me knowing it. I am pretty sure Presley's mom (mymommymommy) fashioned a similar shirt for Presley for a Housewarming party she went to where she didn't want Presley to be fed carbs without getting insulin. I thought it was uber-adorable. Unfortunately my search-fu is broken and I can't find the thread where she posted the picture. :( Someone help a girl out, will ya?

5. Ellen

Ellen Senior Member

I wrote the company yesterday explaining it perpetuates a myth. It can be especially damaging if someone with diabetes needs sugar for a low, and someone else learned from that shirt that children with diabetes can't have sugar and refuses to help treat the low with sugar.

6. AlisonKS

AlisonKS Approved members

I've had a few well meaning people show me that and I didn't want to start an argument so I was like "oh, nice" and inside screaming "wtf ever"! I mean I have a few relatives that I've explained to over and over again that we can feed Tony sugar still don't get it, I mean afterall my late aunt with type 1 wasn't fed sugar years ago.

7. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

I just wrote a letter to them as well. I have had enough.

I would never put a shirt on my child at a party that says "don't feed them sugar". I would just teach my children to come to me if they want to eat something, or keep them by my side so that I know what they ate.

8. vettechmomof2

vettechmomof2 Approved members

you know. A shirt similar in theory to this. maybe with a list of example foods of carbs. So many people do not realize that fruit is something that we have to cover for. showing something with lists might again increase knowledge but probaly just start fights with the public. Does it ever feel like them or us. Diabetically aware or the public.

What about" have you covered in insulin, today"
    with a blanket covering some of these foods up and a bottle of insulin nearby???:confused:

Allene

9. A&Ds Mommy

A&Ds Mommy Approved members

I too was going to write to the company and let them know that it is okay for kids with diabetes to have sugar as long as they have insulin to cover it. I really didn't like the shirt.

10. momtojess

momtojess Approved members

The idea behind the shirt isnt bad.. but the wording itseld is wrong.

I can see putting a toddler or child who doesnt really talk much in a shirt, with something like dont feed the kids (you know, dont feed the bears) and then on the back something to the effect, i am type 1 ask my parents before feeding me.

But to me this shirt says you can feed me an apple or banana and it is alright.

11. Hollyb

Hollyb Approved members

or crackers or bread or milk or pizza or fried rice or ..... almost anything!

Moral of the story: people who develop products to "help" with medical problems should do a bit of research first. Good grief.

12. Charmed7

Charmed7 Approved members

I have two comments:

My son was offered a lollipop after completing his swim class one summer. He was 6 at the time and just looked at the lifeguard and said, I'm diabetic you shouldn't be giving me that. It actually embarrassed the life guard and I secretly smiled. I told the lifeguard I could take the treat and give it to him at a more appropriate time (especially since the class let out at 10AM, what kid is allowed to each a lollipop that early!?)

My other comment is about people giving food advice to my son. This one lady at my work keeps telling me stories about a diabetic friend that eats what ever he wants and just mentions he will fix it with insulin and how reckless it is for him to eat all that fried food and she can't believe it. My son also had a teacher reprimand him to make sure he doesn't eat any sugars and take care of himself because he could lose his eye sight. I hesitated for one second and she finally stopped, but I was real close to just telling her to leave that lectures up to me. When she left I just explained to my soon we can't educate the world and sometimes it's just better to smile and nod.

I just try to explain to people the balancing act (Keep it simple) of carbs to insulin. There are a few people I have told this to them 5 times already, but I figure it's short and sweet and I know not to leave my son with them for any period of time lol.

Charmed

13. mischloss

mischloss Approved members

Very true. I actually had that happen with my son. The teacher was not "allowed" to give my son any treats in class because he was a "diabetic" without regard to his blood sugar which at the time was low and my son was requesting a carb to treat the low. Also, one teacher was so paranoid about any foods that she would make my son leave the classroom, go to the front office and call me each time to let me know that I MUST email her write away (written permission needed) for him to have popcorn or some other treats that were being brought into the class. I kept outlining to her that he can have whatever he wants as long as he bolus for it...he is on the pump no biggie, but she kept insisting that it be in writing each and every time. Geeesh!!!

14. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

Now see, I think your wording is ok - I like the "don't feed the bears without asking Mama Bear" concept much better than "Don't give me sugar" concept

15. melaniej

melaniej Approved members

i really don't like this shirt who would do something like that label there child in such a way its awful would you put a stop sign language only shirt on a def child not very funny my son would be humiliated if i bought something like this awareness is great but this is tasteless ok guess im having one of those days hope i don't offend anyone im finishing my coffee now but i really do like the autism shirt cute and the don't feed the bear spin off love it

16. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

I wrote them as well - silly shirt really.

Crazy that they didn't take the 5 mins needed to understand the condition they "aim" to be aiding....

17. Adinsmom

Adinsmom Approved members

I missed the post so I had to go look for it. ;) Here is the link.

18. Dana

Dana Approved members

I agree. They could have worded it differently.

19. Traci

Traci Approved members

I wrote them, too. I very politely explained that their shirt was not informative, and that it could be dangerous. I explained that if my son were having a low, he must have sugar to bring up his blood glucose. I also explained that a carb is the concerning factor, not just sugar.

20. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

The shirt is cute, until it gets to the part about don't feed me sugar. It could have been just as effective using different wording.

I agree with others, it perpetuates the myth about diabetes.