- advertisement -

Anyone else not have a 504?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by mommylovestosing, May 10, 2010.

1. mommylovestosing

mommylovestosing Approved members

I had started the process of having one, but then the meeting itself kept getting delayed by one thing or another (not this meeting-related, other school stuff the principal couldn't miss). I have a great relationship with every teacher that comes in contact with Ella and have no doubt that in any event they will follow the plan I have documented. Each teacher also has her own "low kit" for times Ella cannot make it up to the nurse.

In talking with my endo he told me that they are not necessary unless the school is not cooperating. I had a great conversation with the vice principal and unless I smell trouble (for lack of a better term) I will keep it that way. Middle school may be different ;)

But I'm very pleased right now and wondering if anyone else is in the same boat?

2. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

Count me in. Danielle has been in two schools since dx and both have been very accommodating (I feel very lucky about that!). So we have a very detailed Health Plan and it has worked out well so far. That said, as she travels upward in grade toward High School there is a possibility she may need one, if that happens I will put one in place at that time. Some people here may disagree but my feeling is, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. :cwds:

3. Brynn

Brynn Approved members

When I was diagnosed I was 17 and a junior in high school so my situation was very different then, then yours in now. However, I was still in a public school setting and I could have gone to get a 504. My parents nor I did not feel the need for a 504 because of the school I was at, at the time was great! Whatever I wanted, I got (as far as d was concerned.) I ended up having to transfer to another school and immediately realized that a 504 would be necessary, so I think it just depends on your school, your situation.

4. McKenna'smom

McKenna'smom Approved members

I don't have one and don't feel I need it. Our administration, staff and teachers at my daughter's school have been phenomenal with dealing with McKenna since her diagnosis. Fortunately, we have another year at this school and then its on to middle school. Hopefully we'll have the same experience.

5. PatriciaMidwest

PatriciaMidwest Approved members

I did not feel my daughter needed a 504 at first. DD was in Elementary school and we had the most fabulous school nurse and principal. Everyone bent over backwards to accomodate her. We moved to middle school and things weren't quite as good, but no major issues until now.

I started the 504 process last month. DD is now finishing up 7th grade, and there have been problems this year (days she should NOT have been put on school bus before treating a low, days when I should have gotten a phone call, etc). The problem is I am finding the school LESS cooperative in writing. They have deleted about 80% of my 504 draft and when I question it they keep asking me to justify why I need xyz, or state that their plan is about the same, but has to follow a certain format. It's pretty clear to me that they are making the process difficult and are going to commit to as little as possible because it is a legal document.

I'm debating my next move. We have prevented future problems by just having my DD call home after every single glucose check. The school and nurse have been accomodating when I speak to them, but when I presented accomodations in the 504, they just conveniently delete.

Not sure what I will do to be honest...I dislike the conflict and tension I feel right now, I tend to be emotional about my DD dcare and I'm not sure I want to go through the process of defending every line item on the 504.

I think our school district is very "lawyered up" and knows how to play their cards on the 504 process to avoid possible future lawsuits as well as minimize the number of new 504 requests. No offense meant to any lawyers out there. :)

Others here have found their school district very accomodating with the 504 process so your mileage may certainly vary. I hope whatever you decide works well for you.

6. danismom79

danismom79 Approved members

I think my daughter's school would be just as nice and accommodating as they are now without the 504, but we do have one. The school nurse actually called me in the hospital to let me know she'd already set one up for me to review when we got back. I believe now would be the time to get one if you want one, while they are cooperative. You could have a really hard time later if you do run into trouble, just read some of the stories here.

The one thing I would advise is that if you have state-mandated academic testing, you review the guidelines for those accommodations. If you want them during testing, you may have to have a 504 already in place. I learned that late last year.

7. VinceysMom

VinceysMom Approved members

Our school has been EXTREMELY accommodating. We do have a 504 Plan, it was suggested to have one by our school psychologist. I believe as the children get older, and when they sit for the state tests, ACTs, SATs, etc., a 504 may be required in order to be able to take breaks for BG testing, etc.

- Kathy

8. mommylovestosing

mommylovestosing Approved members

The testing thing is good to know. She won't hit that until 3rd grade. If there is one thing I'm going to fight for here soon is her ability to test in the classroom. I'm tired of her missing class when she is low. It's rare she goes under 60, so for her to have to get up there and stay for 15 minutes to retest for a, say, 66 is so silly to me. They are worried about the blood borne stuff but, truthfully, until they get rid of staplers and thumb tacs I don't feel they have an argument, you know? Anyone battle this and win?

9. Brandi's mom

Brandi's mom Approved members

We dont have one but I think I may try to get one next school year to see if I can get them to agree not to count her D-absences against her.

10. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

Yes and yes. When Danielle was first dx (3rd grade) she would always go to the nurses office to test. It worked well in the beginning because it was all so new to us and if felt good knowing someone was helping her. As she became more skilled at doing it herself it made sense to just do it quickly and discretely in class. When I first suggested it (4th grade) the school was hesitant and made the usual grumblings about blood borne blah blah and distracting other students blah blah blah. I was firm but respectful in stating my wishes and they came around with no problem. Especially when I calcualted the amount of time she was spending out side of class. She went to a different school for 5th grade and they have been fine about her testing whenever and wherever she wants.

11. MountainJam

MountainJam Approved members

The school DS is in now has a good history with students with D and we have have had excellent support from all parties concerned. I believe that in the present situation, we would get the same treatment with or without a 504.

However, I am a big believer in written confirmation of how things are going to work and to that end we have a 504. If anything changes with the current school personnel, I want to be able to fall back on a written agreement for how things are to be done.

12. ctmom

ctmom Approved members

important to have when older

I understand why many here do not have a 504Plan for their young children. When my son was in elementary school he was just diagnosed and like many the teachers and nursing staff were wonderful. We had no issues at all. When he moved to middle school we had a 504Plan put in place- it was simple without mention of testing BS before tests because his levels were very stable at this time and we really did not know any better. I must say there were occasions when teachers did question his leaving the class early to go test in the nurses office and go to lunch a few minutes early (yes this is what we had in our plan) On these occasions I would send them a "nice" email to remind them that not only did they embarrass my son but they had no right to stop him and attempt to make him stay in class instead of follow the plan. Now in High school we have had to make additional changes about testing before exams- what to do when BS interferers with his abilty to complete his homework-yes it has happened once and I was glad to have it in there-the list goes on. One key issue as many point out is that nursing plans are not legally binding as 504Plans and shared with staff who comes into contact with the student.

13. juliesmom

juliesmom Approved members

We are starting the process now that julie is going to 3rd grade. Mostly due to some problems during state testing.

14. virgo39

virgo39 Approved members

We don't, but DD is only in kindergarten and half-day kindergarten at that.

The diabetes care plan is relatively straightforward and I like our nurse. I think testing begins as early as first grade, so will work on a 504 then. For now, we are not sure what school she'll be in -- we are on a waiting list for the dual language program at a nearby school, should be accepted into an school that parents can choose for multi-age classrooms, or can stay in our assigned school (which happens to be the farthest away)!

15. MamaChrissa

MamaChrissa Approved members

Jason has been self testing, in class, since the 1st grade. Honestly, he could have done it in K , but it was enough of a PITA to "convince" the school that he had the ability to test and treat independently, I don't know how it would have gone in K. But, it took me showing them the regulation myself, (our RN is a waste of space) to be convinced he wasn't going to freak out or infect the rest of the class and they had no choice. Cant wait till next year when he will be blousing himself, w/o RN supervision. The AP should have a meltdown :rolleyes:

16. dragonfly

dragonfly Approved members

We don't have one. The principal suggested trying it without one and if we felt like we were having issues that they weren't addressing, then to get one. We haven't had a problem with them.

17. LARSMS

LARSMS Approved members

This is interesting to me. Perhaps I have become overly suspicious and while I am glad all is going well for you I have to wonder why not just go ahead and give you one.

18. sbsmith1804

sbsmith1804 Approved members

We don't have one for Derek! We haven't seen the necessity for it. His teachers and administration does a fab. job! Also, his school nurse isn't a board registered one. In fact, she doesn't have any more schooling than I and I trust her 100% with Derek. She was taught how to care for him and he's not the only type 1 in the school. Derek simply gets up in the middle of a class if he's feeling low or high or whatever he needs and taps a friend on the shoulder to accompany him to the nurse. Its great! During the OAA tests a hall monitor was available at all times and Derek was told if he needed to leave for any reason to just set his pencil down and go to the hall monitor!

19. GinaB

GinaB Approved members

We never got one for Joseph because his elementary school is so wonderful. We have a meeting to start one next week so it is in place for middle and high school. It's much easier to get one going before middle school and for me, I think that is where the problems can arrise. Having seven different teacher, subs and other staff could be a nightmare. I'm confident that most the teachers will be fine but it only takes one and if the administration isn't supportive you can be in for a big fight instead of just pulling out the 504.

My oldest daughter has extreme peanut allegies and one year she had one teacher that was a huge problem. If someone pulled out a peanut snack she would just switch seats or go into the hall for a bit. We never had a problem except with that one teacher and since he wouldn't be reasonable with me or my daughter we had to get the principal involved. It was a huge hassle for a very rare occurrance. Since diabetes is all management all the time the opportunity for problems is magnifyed.

I've been told by a few people that once you get out of elementarty the schools are very resistant to starting a 504.

20. selketine

selketine Approved members

The BEST time to get a 504 is when you have a wonderful principal, nurse, teachers and staff. You are essentially just putting into writing what everyone is doing anyway - how could they refuse that? We don't do 504 plans to play "gotcha" - we do them so that everyone clearly understands what is expected - it is all just written out - just like it would be if you buy a house or a car and sign a contract. There is nothing inherently contentious about a 504.

The WORST time to get a 504 is when you start to have a problem (principals change, teachers change, nurse changes). (Of course some people start out with a difficult situation so they never get a "best" time.)

What benefit do you get from waiting?