- advertisement -

Anyone else have something crazy like this happen?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Ndiggs, Mar 8, 2012.

1. Ndiggs

Ndiggs Approved members

Ok, so today has been crazy! Olivia woke up at 450 this morning with ketones, so start to think great shes getting sick. Double up the basel rate on the pump and give her her bolus and correction via syringe just to be safe. Check an hour and a half later, sugars have gone up but ketones are the same.

Ok strange but this is D so I page endo again and they have me give another correction, recheck and re-page in an hour. Recheck and sugars are just reading High on the meter and ketones are going up at this point. We change the site again to make sure its not a site issue with the basel, recheck in an hour and still the same thing. Correct again, new insulin this time, no change in numbers but she starts to vomit, over and over and over again.

Page endo again, they decide we need to go to the er to get a line in, but give another correction again first just to be safe. Still in er now (hour 7 I think) waiting for a bed upstairs.

Has anyone had anything like this happen? New sites, switching to shots, new insulin, and still sugars going up and ketones going up? Intreating to note, her lab-work was actually not that bad, ph was 7.3 which is only mildly on the acidic side.... but her blood was THICK, real high platelet count.

2. Helenmomofsporty13yearold

Helenmomofsporty13yearold Approved members

Norovirus is making it's rounds. My DD has been sick all week after getting it from her younger non-d stepsisters who both had to go to the hospital, one for high fever and the other for dehydration. I hope they get her feeling better soon.

3. Mommy For Life

Mommy For Life Approved members

Hi

Just curious how Olivia was doing? I hope she is better!! :cwds: Did you find out if this was the norovirus? I almost want to spray my Olivia down with Lysol I am that desperate to avoid the sickies. :rolleyes:

4. Lani

Lani Approved members

Wow. We have had highs that drive us crazy for hours. But usually, a shot by syringe will bring levels down, at least unitl we can troubleshoot all other things, site, insulin etc. How is Olivia? How are you? Sending prayers to you... please keep us posted.

5. Ndiggs

Ndiggs Approved members

Ok to update, we just got home from the hospital. White count was high, but little to no explanation as to the cause. Overall thinking is that she got so dehydrated that the labs were WAY off. Still have ketones, but we get them cleared and they come back.

But at least we are home now and not super high sugars.

6. GAmom

GAmom Approved members

saw this on another post about animas pump, thought I'd repost it for you in case , in a long shot, it might help with some of the high bgs:
    "I have just received thru UPS a notice from Animus about the One touch Ping Pump
    This is just a summary of the letter.
    It says that we need to check the time and date settings because of the leap year. They could be incorrect resulting in the wrong basal and bolus times.
    This could have resulted in unexpected high or low BG's."
    Hopefully, she's doing much better now! sounds like a tough time for both of you.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2012
  7. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

Poor thing, hope she's feeling better soon!!