- advertisement -

Anyone else dealing with Bedwetting?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by BellasMom, Oct 8, 2009.

1. BellasMom

BellasMom Approved members

Isabelle has always been a bedwetter...even prior to diagnosis. She's 9 now and still wears pull ups. Last night she ran out and wet the bed twice and didn't even know it. I woke her up the first time when I checked her blood sugar only 2 hours after she went to bed. She's doesn't typically have bg over 140 in the middle of the night. I know D can interfer with the hormone that regulates night time urination and that about 30% of kids her age still wet the bed. I think it's a combo of fact that she sleeps like the dead and I honestly don't think she cares. Dr says she'll grow out of it. My other children are 4 & 6 and they haven't we the bed for a long time. I'm just frustrated with it...any one else dealing with this? :confused:

2. JenniferM

JenniferM Approved members

We have the same issue. DS is 10 but from what I understand a lot of other kids his age still have the same issue.

I will say that if his numbers are higher than 300, he is more likely to have an accident where he does not even feel it till after the fact.

Jennifer

3. WestinsMom

WestinsMom Approved members

We dealt with it for years. I think he stopped wearing goodnights at about 8 or 9. He still has issues if his blood sugar is high over night, like 250+.

4. Kayeecee

Kayeecee Approved members

Yes! My 7 y.o. was dx'd about 3 weeks ago. Both my husband and I were late bedwetters ourselves, so our oldest had had some issues that she has outgrown. #2 and #3 had no issues. Our youngest, the one with D, wet the bed longer than any of them, but had been going dry until the summer when it seemed to start up again. Turns out that's when the D was probably ramping up since her A1C on dx was around 11, meaning she was in the 300's for most of the summer. A co-worker who is a Type 1 dx'd when she was 21 just yesterday told me that when she was dx'd SHE started to wet the bed!

5. sam1nat2

sam1nat2 Approved members

its a physical condition caused by a lack of hormone needed to concentrate the urine at night (in the absense of high bg)
    Often heriditary, often self corrects, however medication available to help.

sorry for typos, ina hurry

6. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Actually my older non-d son wore the goodnights until he was 8, my son with d was dry at night at age 4 ,go figure;) I myself had a problem with it as a child, the doctor advised my Mother to have me wait to use the bathroom during the day, not so that I was in pain, but so that the bladder muscles would be strengthened. It worked within a few months.

7. melissajm

melissajm Approved members

Yes!! Lilly is 7 & still wets almost every night. It is starting to bother her because she is too self conscious about it to have sleepovers. I hope she grows out of it soon.

8. Gomod71

Gomod71 Approved members

My son is almost 9, and a very heavy sleeper. Some nights he stays dry, others he's wet, sometimes even due to high blood sugar.

It's frustrating for him, and expensive for me. It also never fails that the when I put a fresh set of sheets on the bed, he'll wet them. :eek:

Poor little guy, when he had a sleep over at his best friend's house he was MORTIFIED to have to use a pull up. He told his best friend "You'd better not tell anyone!" and much to my amusement, his friend's response was "Eh - it's not your fault your body's broken". LOL - leave it to a kid to put it in perspective.

9. Mom211

Mom211 Approved members

We deal with this, too. I put a pull-up on her and don't worry about it. Several of our older children wet the bed for a looong time, but they eventually grew out of it.

10. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

We deal with it too. Abby is 8. Doc said that this is perfectly normal. She's also a very heavy sleeper and if she has a high bg during the night, she wets. She doesn't wet every night, but I would say 3 out of 7.

11. bluedevils_fan

bluedevils_fan Approved members

My DS is 12 and is wet nearly every night. He is seriously dry MAYBE once a month. Doesn't matter what his BG is. High, Low, Perfect . . . doesn't matter. His pediatrician wants us to buy one of those alarm systems that is supposed to wake him at the first drop of urine. Fat chance! He doesn't hear his pump alarm or vibrate. Doesn't hear the alarm clock which is literally six inches from his head so I am not buying a $60+ machine to wake me up when he wets. It certainly won't help him. They also won't give us the medication to help solve the problem.

Endo won't give us the meds either. Says we need to talk to his pedi about it.

We just keep buying the overnight pull-ups.

He was actually completely dry overnight from ages 3-6 and then started with the nightly bedwetting. Was diagnosed with D just before he turned 9.

I don't have any suggestions for you but I feel your pain!

12. yeswe'rebothD

yeswe'rebothD Approved members

Grace does this still too. She was trained all day and night for a good year, in fact part of what made me start to check her sugars on my meter. She's wet since age 3-1/2, and the only correlation I can make with her diabetes is like Jennifer said, if she's high, it's worse (I could put three pull-ups on her in a night when she starts the night over 300).

I stressed over it for a long time but finally decided I just needed to let it go and quit waking her up during the night to try to make it to the toilet. Timing was NEVER right with it, I could go in two consecutive nights at the same time and one night she'd be dry, but the next night completely soaked. We use goodnights or underjams here (whatever I can get cheaper, she has to wear the large size), and everybody is stress-free about it. Plus I get to do MUCH less laundry!

13. GaPeach

GaPeach Approved members

Alarm WORKED for us

My DS sleeps so hard a bomb would not wake him. His pedi did prescribe a med - that did not work.

At the age of 12+, he still did not sleep through the night dry. My MIL said that both of her sons had the same issue.

I did get the alarm. With ours, it had a speaker that was pinned to his PJ shirt right at the shoulder. The super high pitch alarm could be heard on the opposite end of our house. No way he could sleep through it. It frightened all of our household awake! :eek:

It only took TWO nights! :D

BTW - he became very discreet at dealing with pull-ups/overnights at sleepovers and camping trips. He took a gallon size ziplock bag and a grocery sack. He went into the bathroom to put the pullup on and then wore pj bottoms. In the morning, he went back to the bathroom (or waited until the tent was empty) and put the wet pullup in the ziploc bag and put that zipbag in the grocery sack and stored it away in his duffle bag until he got home.

14. BellasMom

BellasMom Approved members

It's a relief to know there are other kids out there. I don't really make a big deal about it, but I do think about it. None of her girlfriends seem to have the problem so I didn't know if it was the D or not. I have thought about the alarm before since nothing else has worked. Her urination was what alerted me to the D. It was really unreal! I remember one night she was watching a movie with her brother & sister and then had made a bed on my living room floor. She crashed out about 9 and I put a goodnight on her. I checked her at 11 and it was saturated. I took her potty and put another one on her. She still leaked through that one and just flooded the bed. Her first A1C was 11.8 so she was running high..poor thing. She slept through all of that as well...it's amazing to me how you can be soaking wet and not realize it. I was never a bedwetter but her Dad and My Dad both were.

15. Gracie'sMom

Gracie'sMom Approved members

My sister just took her 6 1/2 year old in for this (non-d) and they said it's a sleep thing, that some kids sleep patterns don't mature to the point to where they wake up when they need to use the bathroom until later. He said it is very common, and even has kids up to age 11 that still struggle with it. Although he advised her to hold off on treating it unless it is damaging her self-esteem, he said there is a medication that can treat it if it is desired. But he told her it is WAY more common than most people think, because it's not the kind of thing you advertise to your friends . . .

16. Jake'sMama

Jake'sMama Approved members

Yes! We are definitely dealing with this... and I firmly believe it HAS to be tied to D because Jake only wet the bed a handful of times before his dx. He was a PITA to potty train but once he was, he almost never wet the bed.

Last November, about a month prior to dx, he began to wet the bed. Every night. I had just had outpatient surgery so we attributed it to stress. He didn't miss a night. We bought UnderJams, which he hated. Seriously hated. He wet through those and we had to change the sheets anyway. We bought one of those pads they use in nursing homes - washable - and he would move so much it was ineffective.

After 3 solid weeks of wetting the bed and then a few daytime accidents where he "didn't get to the potty in time" i scheduled an appt with the Ped. The day I picked him up early from school, he had had an accident AT school and was mortified. I had to take him home to change before we could go the Ped. At the Ped he was still quite capable of giving her a urine sample and the dipstick told the story. Sugar in urine. He was only 377 the day of dx.

He continued to wet the bed for a few weeks, every night. Endo assured us it would end once his BGs were "in control". He cried about the UnderJam and my conscience felt guilty for the landfills, plus he'd had this traumatic Christmas so we just took our chances with whether he would wet or not. He has a plastic sheet over the mattress and a cotton, waterproof mattress cover over that. (the cotton one is wearing thin and sometimes can be soaked through to the plastic sheet. Plastic sheet makes him sweat and feels icky under the sheet, so we use both)

He helps with the sheets and we just make it a non-issue. He used to feel bad and try to hide it or wait in bed like he didn't know he wet the bed. He obviously can't control it, doesn't wake to notice it until morning and uses the bathroom right before bed. I made him a deal, it's no big deal if he's wet, he just needs to tell us when he gets up and take a shower. It's just a bummer part of D.

He's wet about 2xs a week right now.

We have restricted fluids, woken him to pee, and journaled his night time snacks since dx. None of these seem to make an impact. If there is any sort of variation with his insulin (given late, forgotten) he will be wet.

The longest time (15 nights in a row) he went with dry nights was when he had swim class every day for 30 minutes over the summer. We are trying to make sure he gets an equivalent amount of daily exercise, but have struggled to make it everyday with school in, winter setting in and gym class only every 3rd day. We cannot convince him to get back to soccer since dx.

So big hugs, we totally get it. We have a high efficiency washer, which helps and fits his comforter. With winter temps at night I can't get it smaller than 2 loads.

17. EmmasMom

EmmasMom Approved members

Us too... Emma wears goodnights at night, though she's only wet maybe 2-3 nights a week, it's always the night we forget or think we can do w/o that she soaks the bed.
    It is almost always related to her blood sugar, but it doesn't have to be high by "kids with D standards". Anything over about 160 causes your kidneys to spill glucose. This causes more urine output and will absolutely cause bed wetting.

18. Mimi

Mimi Approved members

My 12.5 year old non-d son takes the meds for bedwetting. I think it was around age 10 I finally took him to the ped for them. Aside from the mountains of laundry, we took it in stride and never made an issue of it. But by age 10 it was really starting to bother him on an emotional level.

We have no issues now, he is very relaxed about taking a pill before bed (even at friends houses)...it's just worked out really well for us.

19. tiffanie1717

tiffanie1717 Approved members

We have the same issue as Emma with Kylie. She's 6. Neither of the other 2 had any trouble. Travis will occasionally wet the bed if he is very high but that is very rare.

20. zimbie45

zimbie45 Approved members

Here too! But its gotten much better! Befor diagnosis Charlize never wet the bet, never... INfact she never had an accident EVER not even thru potty training.. Well then started, and happened.. Bed wetting was all the time> I talked to the endo about it and found out that its is very common in diabetic children and most do out grow it around 10 years old... Charlize wore pull ups for years... I then started to notice that alot of her bedwetting had to do with HIGH blood sugars... I could promise you that if she went over 300, we where having an issue, and washing sheets... Over time it slowed down.. We no longer have issues... I make sure if we have an bad HIGH, then there are no fluids after 6 or 7 pm, got potty befor bed, and wake up in the middle of the night if high... It worked so far.. NOW we dont have to do any of that... And maybe 1x every other month, she has an acccident,...

Have hope, it will get better.. charlize will be 9 in a few months...