- advertisement -

Anyone do volunteer jobs?

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by StillMamamia, Jul 10, 2010.

1. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

What do you do?

2. Mom2rh

Mom2rh Approved members

I am working with an organization called Love Chico...it is basically a church based service day. This year is the third year of it...it started with 4 churches participating and this year there will be over 25. Folks don't attend church on one Sunday and go into the community to do service projects at schools, parks, assisted living facilities, etc. I am helping with the PR (I'm a writer/editor by training).

3. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

I am in charge of the parent's group at my son's school.
    I in in charge of Sunday school and the choir director at my church.
    I am an officer on the board of a community orchestra and play bassoon with them as well.
    I am the secretary of my son's boy scout troop.

4. sugarmonkey

sugarmonkey Approved members

I volunteer Paula. I work at our local Salvation Army Store 6 hours a week. I've been there 5 years now, started the week before Phillip was dxd. I love it. The boss is great, doesn't mind me ringing/texting Phillip multiple times a day or having to run down to the school. And the kids come with me during the holidays. My main job is to sort and price the books that are donated, but I also work on the counter serving a lot.

I also deliver library books to people who can't get out of their homes once a fortnight. This fits in with my goal of one day being a librarian.

I have also in the past done office work for the Cancer Society and Unemployed Rights Centre. And tidied shelves at the local library. That one was boring, but it gave me library experience.

5. MamaC

MamaC Approved members

Currently:
    JDRF mentor
    Volunteer in the Career Center at the high school
    Classroom helper/tutor at the elementary school
    Team parent for high school swim and dive team
    Membership Chair for neighborhood swim club

Formerly:
    Girl Scout Leader/Service Unit Manager/Camp First Aider
    Local celiac support group chair
    Various directorships at swim club
    Various PTA offices
    Civic Association
    Manager, travel soccer team
    Club representative to travel soccer league
    Sunday School teacher

6. Kaylas mom

Kaylas mom Approved members

I currently am on the education commitee of our church and one of the Sunday school teachers. I try to help out in school when I am not working there.. lol.

7. RosemaryCinNJ

RosemaryCinNJ Approved members

I used to volunteer for the Immune Deficiency Foundation (for 10 years) but I do not any longer..It is one foundation that kind of went downhill over the years...I would rather focus my time and energy now on Amanda and her diabetes and bonding with other parents going through this...Im focusing all I can on type 1 now...and really dont have the time to do both any more.

8. Brynn

Brynn Approved members

When I have the time, I volunteer as a crisis counselor at one of the local social service agencies here.

9. s0ccerfreak

s0ccerfreak Approved members

The 3 main places I'm involved with are JDRF, a youth group that I use to go to (I usually help with middle school), and a swimming program for kids/young adults with disabilities

10. Megszers

Megszers Approved members

I volunteer at my local animal shelter, and foster dogs for them when the shelter is crowded.

11. bgallini

bgallini Approved members

I did a lot of work for a local child care association for years. (mostly dealing with education of child care providers) That group folded and I've joined a new group but I'm taking my time before getting into too much work for them.

I should do more.

12. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

I've been a volunteer at the library since 1999.
    I'm on the consumer advisory board for a local health clinic.
    I'm childcare coordinator for autreat (I think that's my title, I forget).

13. MReinhardt

MReinhardt Approved members

I'm on a board of "Children at home", which is state funded. Our children at home board volunteers is made up of parents, teachers, nurses, therapist, principals, and anyone else who has an interest in helping children with special need.

"Our Children at Home program is designed to assist you and your family in securing the services and supports that you identify as necessary in helping your child to remain at home. An underlying principle of the Children at Home program is that you and your family retain control of decisions which affect your child and family. Financial assistance is intended to enable you to obtain those services and supports which are not met by other service programs."

We have helped many of parents by providing medical transportation/funding for children in need. We have helped chidren in need with clothing, special vitamins, YMCA passes, and much, much more. Each child needs are unique and tailored to suit the child, not the parent.

Its a very fufulling to know, that a child in need was helped.

14. sisterbeth43

sisterbeth43 Approved members

I don't currently volunteer but in the past I have done:"

Girl Scout leader for about 15 years
    4-H leader for about that long too (both may have been longer,)
    Head of our Parent Teacher organization,
    volunteered as a room parent many times
    volunteered at our church for many years.

Can't remember if there was any more, but most likely there was.

15. Wendy12571

Wendy12571 Approved members

I volunteer at our local school as the receptionist when needed, or library helper(most of the time). I am also a girl scout leader. I have no kids or nieces in scouting but help out with 2 troops. One Cadette level and one Senior or Ambassador level troop. I am on the Service unit committee for girl scouts. I am the Senior/Ambassador advisor. I was the cookie person for our community.
    Wendy

16. Karenwith4

Karenwith4 Approved members

I volunteer with our homeschool group and our UU congregation in various roles - mostly outreach/education and event/program organizing.
    My DH and I run a small low-cost soccer league for 60 kids.
    I volunteer with our community gardens program.
    I do adhoc volunteer jobs for the local chapters Council of Canadians and Women for Peace and I volunteer on political campaigns during elections.

As a family we volunteer regularly although what we do varies by season.
    We volunteer with a local water watchers program on water sustainability issues, we volunteer with a tree planting program doing work in their greenhouses and on tree planting bees. We're part of a loosely organized environmental group which does park and river clean ups, invasive species removal programs, tree inventories etc. We're also part of a kids visiting seniors program but that is on hiatus til the fall now.

We also work with a local charity on a lot of projects - often as part of our homeschool co-op. We regularly pack food and hygiene boxes with which are distributed to underwaged families. We do adhoc projects with this group as well, mostly in support of First Nations Communities. We recently finished a book drive and at the end of our soccer league program we will collect and donate the soccer balls, jerseys, used cleats and equipment to this group. We'll probably do a pre-Christmas thing too - not sure what that will be yet.

17. StillMamamia

Ok, thanks for the ideas. I'm looking into volunteering, so needed some ideas.:)

DH & I used to volunteer to the local "Ecological Movement". Our actions were limited to picking up the trash in the forests (my hubby's ideal living place:D) and we did plant some trees quite a few years ago. They're big now.

ETA - I'd love to volunteer with working at an elderly home, but I think here you have to have a medical training for that.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2010
  18. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

I've known people with an elderly relative who were more than happy to have me do some activity with that person. I bet you know somebody with an elderly parent, aunt or uncle who love for you to volunteer to do something with that person. You don't have to go through the old folks home to work with old folks.

19. StillMamamia

Yeah, we have here a distinction between volunteering and "volunteering".:rolleyes: One being a one time thing, like helping out at associations' parties and the other being more long-term. You have to apply through the Volunteer Association for any of them. I'll have to look into it after school restarts in the fall.

As for private persons, it's a bit hard. People are quite reticent to allow a stranger to come into their homes or help them out. If you do come from a legit association, then you have a better chance.

Thanks again.

20. GinaB

GinaB Approved members

I work parttime. During the school year I volunteer at the library or school work room. I've also held numerous posts on PTAs and booster clubs over the years.