- advertisement -

Anyone dealing with enterovirus 68 in your area?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Catiesmom, Sep 8, 2014.

1. Catiesmom

Catiesmom Approved members

So many scary news reports of this virus sending hundreds of kids to the ER and ICU. Anyone have it in their area or school yet? My DD has asthma with T1D and this is scary like the swine flu in 2009.

Catie almost 14
    Dx 6-19-2009
    Omnipod dexcom cgm in the cloud

2. sszyszkiewicz

sszyszkiewicz Approved members

Nothing in the media here in NJ near Philadelphia.

3. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

I've not heard anything about it. If I start hearing about cases in the area I'll remind my kid to wash her hands more often, as I do every fall as cold and flu season heats up, but I'm not going to worry about it.

4. swellman

swellman Approved members

Son had a "back to school" head cold thing. It wasn't severe but he was pretty congested. No fever but it's a clinger. He's a lot better but it held on for a little over a week.

5. twintype1s

twintype1s Approved members

Seems to be hitting the Midwest pretty hard right now. Our local children's hospital in Kansas City said they've seen about 450 cases in the past couple of weeks. Also heard it's bad in St. Louis & Colorado.

6. quiltinmom

quiltinmom Approved members

I heard about it on the radio this morning, but I don't think it has hit our area. Although DH was sick a week or two ago with something that sounds very similar--a really bad cold, wheezing, etc. I was worried he was developing pneumonia because of his cough and wheezy breathing (especially at night). But things cleared up after a few days, thankfully.

7. wearingtaci

wearingtaci Approved members

They(ER docs)think it is in our area. I'm not terribly concerned,it seems to affecting a relatively small number of kids. We wash hands and go on as usual

8. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

both my girls also got a "head cold", no fever but annoying postn nasl drip throat and nightly coughing to then wake up to an uneasy and unpredictable tummy/appetite. Finally seeing the end of it 2 weeks later.

9. dshull

dshull Approved members

Ok weird, we had the EXACT same thing. Kind of like a cold but more of a drip and this annoying cough. Got called from the nurse twice about upset tummies which never amounted to anything. We're outside Philadelphia. Oh and both of our kids for it and neither adult did, which is unusual for a cold
    in this house.

10. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

I am a Clinical Aide at another local school and the it is calming down now, but I had kids in the clinic like bees on honey for a good 2 weeks. Still dealing with congestion but not the tummy ache.

11. Lakeman

Lakeman Approved members

It is not in my part of Illinois yet but the CDC predicts it will be despite the seemingly contradictory statements that we don't know that it is EV 68 (even though the doctor at the hospital in St Louis said all the samples they sent to the CDC were EV 68 - politics)

When it gets here we will have to hope that hand washing will help to avoid it. One of the complications can be pneumonia which can lead to DKA.

12. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

Yes the 2 ways for the body to deal with ketosis and then acidosis is either thru the kidneys or the lungs. Kidneys get the first try then the lungs. Unfortunately I do not think either recover from the damage it might cause.

13. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

I can think of a dozen things my kid does daily that can lead to an outcome that can lead to DKA.

The parents who have cause for concern are those with kids with asthma, but for most kids who get it, even D kids, it will be a standard virus sans DKA.