- advertisement -

Anyone buy in bulk?

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by Dylan'sMom, May 2, 2010.

1. Dylan'sMom

Dylan'sMom Approved members

Dh and I are beginning to becoming overwhelmed by our $1500 per week grocery bill (not including formula and diapers for my youngest 2). We try to stock up as much as we can when things are on sale but it seems like no matter how much we get, it is gone before we know it. But, I have heard from a lot of people that buying in bulk has benefited them. If it will save us money, we are definitely willing to try it. We have a separate freezer and a huge pantry so we have plenty of space to put the extra food. But, I've wanted to know if anyone here buys in bulk and if it works well for you. Thanks.

2. Kaylas mom

Kaylas mom Approved members

$1500? that is a lot of groceries! We buy a lot of things in bulk, especially string cheese, yogurt, 100 calorie snacks and so on. I figure I go to sams about once every 10 days.

3. sam1nat2

sam1nat2 Approved members

I suggest couponing!!
    6 grand is insane amount to spend on food in a month!!:eek:

4. Mike&Dans.Mom

Mike&Dans.Mom Approved members

I know with five kids it must be hard to get time to cook - are alot of the foods you buy pre-packaged or single serving items?

Some of the things I do to keep the food bills down:

Grilled cheese sandwiches (we buy the big loaf of cheese)
    Pancakes for dinner
    $2 frozen pizzas at our local discount grocery
    Shoppers Value (from Jewel) Bags of chips $1.49 - they are tasty - I put them into sandwich bags I get from the dollar store
    Bulk bag of meatballs from Sams club - makes a ton of meatball sandwiches:)
    Pasta in bulk from Sams

Sometimes it seems like the more food in the house the more the kids eat - like fruit snacks etc - so be careful

5. bgallini

bgallini Approved members

I don't shop at Sams or Cosco b/c I found I was buying too much "other" stuff when I went there. But I do try to use coupons and try to watch the sales for great deals on things we eat a lot. So, I will buy many, many boxes of Cheerios or goldfish or whatever, when it's a really good price. I'm sure I could do better if I put more thought and time into it and shopped at all the grocery stores to get the best bargains.

6. goochgirl

goochgirl Approved members

I'm right there with you! We spend an insane amount every week at the grocery. Youtube search Mormon pantry... you will see alot of interesting storage ideas and bulk food links.

7. kimmcannally

kimmcannally Approved members

I shop at Sams - milk is the cheapest around. I wish we HAD $1500 a week for anything!
    If you decide to buy in bulk, get a vacuum sealer - they are the greatest!!! I use mine all the time.
    The best way to save money is combine coupons with items that are already on sale and really stock up on them. I do printable coupons and each computer in the house can print two, so I get a lot of coupons :)

8. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

three words:

the grocery game.

9. Mom2Will

Mom2Will Approved members

I second the Grocery Game.

You might also see if there is a distributor around with Angel Food Ministries, it is great food and very, very reasonable.

https://www.angelfoodministries.com/

The damage I could do with $1500 a week!! I thought $250 every two weeks was quite too much! Prices must be much higher in Washington

10. virgo39

virgo39 Approved members

I tried the Grocery Game for a while, but it did not include one of the major chains in my area, making it less useful.

I now keep a "price list" in my organizer where I keep track of the price of certain things that we buy on regular basis, so that I know when to stock up -- I cannot keep that information in my head.

We seem to spend a lot on groceries for our small family of three. Since dx, I buy more single serving 100-calorie packs of things for DD's snacks and have been buying more things to "try" -- different types of granola bars, crackers, etc. and more low carb items -- than I did before.

I do buy some thing in bulk and we shop at Costco for some of those items. I have a vaccuum sealer, so I when I buy meat, I repackage it into smaller amounts for freezing.

11. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

$1500, Holy Moly! That's more than we spend in a month for a family of 4 and a cat.

I belong to BJ's which is like Costco. I buy many of their brand items because it is a savings and they also offer coupons. This is what I always buy there:
    Garbage bags (their brand)
    Cleaning supplies (their brand)
    Cheese sticks
    granola bars
    Jug of pretzels
    Seltzer by the case
    Vitamin water
    Juice boxes
    I usually find that I will save several $$ on these items buy purchasing in bulk.
    I keep a list of what I spend on what items to determine if it's worth my time/money to drive out of the way to get certain items. I also find that our super Walmart, as much as I hate it, has the best prices around.

I've been trying to buy the single serving snacks only when neccessary, it is a lot of money with little return. I tend not try and buy too many new "to try out" items at once, otherwise I usually end up being stuck with things the kids don't always eat!

Buying in bulk works if you do your research, don't buy uneccessary things and making sure you will actually use it. Stick to the things you use frequently. For example, we have a sale at our store 10 for $10. However, it doesn't always apply to things you need 10 of at that particular moment, like cereal. Will you eat and do you have room for 10 boxes of it? But, the other day, they had Hansens juice boxes 10 for 10 and since they are small it was worth the savings to have a surplus.

12. AlisonKS

AlisonKS Approved members

things I buy at costco: canned beans-kidney, black, pinto, garbanzo (hello I'm vegan lol), rice, fruit leather, fruit snacks (they have awesome dehydrated apples and pears), bananas, carnation instant breakfast, paper towels, toilet paper, laundry detergent, baking stuff, alcohol swabs, glucose tablets-that's all I can think of for now.
    Do you plan out your meals and only buy the ingredients for that after checking the pantry to make sure you don't already have it? We save a lot of money that way. My sister has 6 kids and I don't think they spend that much, they buy a lot in bulk and use the crockpot. They don't keep junk food in the house cause the kids will just tear through it.

13. lynn

lynn Approved members

Wow. I spend less than half that PER MONTH for nine people, three dogs, two cats, a pygmy goat and a flock of chickens and ducks. Wanna trade grocery money for awhile?:D;)

14. Marcia

Marcia Approved members

So are you spending over $200 each day or $20 each day? If you are having difficulty with $20 per day, then buy in bulk, buy store brands unless you have coupons. If you have coupons, shop where coupons are doubled. If you buy in bulk, make sure you will use it all before it outdates.Shop only once a week. Pack lunches. Stop buying soda, switch to water in gallon jugs if you don't do tap water. Mix regular milk with powdered milk to stretch if necessary. Have two meatless dinners each week. If you are having trouble spending $200 each day, I can't help you because that is more than twice what I make, let alone spend on groceries.

15. Jen_in_NH

Jen_in_NH Approved members

Do you spend $1500/week, or $150/wk?

Start by keeping all of the receipts and really look at what you're spending your money on. A lot of things like cleaning products, trash bags, storage containers, etc can be cheaper if you buy in bulk. They can also be pretty cheap if you use coupons and wait for sales at Target/WalMart/RiteAid etc.

As far as food, I make out better with coupons at our local grocery stores. Try looking at www.afullcup.com It has different forums for different grocery stores. The people on there are great at finding the best deals, telling you which coupons match up, etc. I started hard-core couponing last year, and while it took a while to build up a good stockpile of stuff, my grocery bill has gone down dramatically.

A few things I've stopped doing - no prepackaged snacks. I can make a lot of that stuff at home, or repackage stuff myself. We've really cut back on buying soda, juice etc (other than the Juicy Juices that are just for lows). We've stopped buying a lot of convenience stuff in favor of making it ourselves - stuff like instant mashed potatoes, rice mixes, etc.

Good luck trying to figure it all out - it really takes some trial and error to see what will work for you.

16. Tonysmum

Tonysmum Approved members

Please tell me that is a typo. If I had that budget, we could eat steak at the finest restaurant for every meal all week long and have no need to buy groceries.
    However, to stretch $150, buy fresh and cook from scratch. Double up on recipes, eat half, freeze half for another time. Simplify meals, as someone else said, have a couple of meatless options. A baked potato with fillings, maybe. Or make some soup with seasonal veg.

Good luck

17. MissMadisonsMom

MissMadisonsMom Approved members

So I live near Seattle and I can tell you that even if I shopped at Metropolitan Market (the most expensive by far around here) there is NO way I can spend $1500/week on groceries :) I am choosing to believe it was a typo. My favorite store around here is WINCO - they have the most amazing prices and are just a regular grocery store - not a club like Costco. Many times they are cheaper than Costco and easier because the package sizes are not huge. Produce prices are the best around. I do go to Costco for paper products and cleaning products though and usually walk out of there with $100 worth of stuff I really didn't need. :eek:

18. zimbie45

zimbie45 Approved members

I agree its got to be a typo. It must be $150 per week.. ( which is more reasonable ) or is it $1500 per month ( extreme).. But the big thing to help cut cost are by coupons.. Get them from the sunday paper, and online from something like www.coupons.com. pair your coupons with the current grocery stores sales... Sign up to learn to do the grocery game ( http://www.thegrocerygame.com).... I can usually get my grocery bill cut by 50 to 60% on average and have saved up to 85% before. and you end up with lots.. Be prepared to stock up on things..

FOr example... This is a deal i got this week.. My local store has kelloges cereal on sale for 2 for $3.00 then i had a coupon for $1.00 off 2 boxes.. SO i got each box for $1.00. I have gotten cereal for 0.50 a box before. If you plan your coupons right and also stock up on them you can really make out.. ONE week we had an incredable deal on cereal and other things an i matched my coupons up.. Saved so much i kept going back that week and ended up with 25 boxes of cereal.. And i averaged only paying about $20 for those 25 boxes. IT helped stay stocked up. and really cut my grocery bill othger places. It helps alot too when your store does double triple and quad. coupons to really maximized on your savings.

HTH

19. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

After spending about $160 on groceries today and seeing everything I came home with including fish and meat, I'm thinking $1500 has got to be a typo.

There are great ideas here, and I think the best one for all of us is to avoid as much as possible the prepackaged convience snacks. Yes, it's nice for the carbs and school, but boy it does add up. I've taken to using a baggie and writting the carbs on it for my daughter. We save the single servings for when she goes to friends or for when my parents visit and watch the girls.

20. mamort

mamort Approved members

We tend to buy alot of household supplies, non perishables and seafood, fruit at costco. We also buy a side of beef every 1 -1 1/2 years. The place we buy at, if you buy a side of beef, they throw in a hog for free. So for a family of 4 I spend about $ 60.00 a week, and about every 10-14 days I spend about $100. at costco.