- advertisement -

Anyone awake? help please

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Mimi, Jul 3, 2009.

1. Mimi

Mimi Approved members

....I'm at a loss. Stubborn high that won't go away

8:45pm - 277 - 1 Unit Humalog correction
    11:37 - 320 - 1 Unit Humalog correction
    1:10 - 322 -
    2:30 - 338

Ketones are 0.0

It's been 3 hours since the last correction....do I give another correction?

Should I up the amount?

Grrrrr!:mad::mad:

2. ccarrol4

ccarrol4 Approved members

Are you sure the insulins good?

3. buggle

buggle Approved members

I agree that it might be worth trying new insulin. Brendan sometimes does this -- runs high and won't come down with repeated corrections. We just keep correcting every few hours until we get him down. But... you're up all night then, watching for a low.

I wish that someone more experienced would come on. Brendan's kind of a whacky case, because his pancreas is still kicking in -- on and off with various amounts of insulin. So, I don't feel like what we do with him will necessarily be a good idea on another child.

Still... I'd keep treating. If it's been 3 hours, then I'd think you're safe to give another correction. I hate these long nights. I sympathize with you and know how exhausting and frustrating it is when this happens.

4. 22jules

22jules Approved members

I would do a correction especially since it has been 3 hours. I tend to be fairly aggressive when Erin hits 300 because it just seems to take more insulin to bring her down. We are pumping however. If you do correct, just check her in 1 1/2 hours to make sure she is coming down and not too fast. Good luck!

eta: Also I find that growth spurts tend to be pretty insulin resistant again needing more insulin to bring her down. Kind of like the regular rules don't apply--unfortunately it does make for a long night and I might be there with you!

Last edited: Jul 3, 2009
  5. Mimi

Mimi Approved members

New cartridge started yesterday. Just double checked the expiry...still a year away.

We have not had a really stubborn high like this before. And nothing out of the ordinary today in terms of food or anything for that matter. This past month has been the pits, in terms of wonky numbers. I think the honeymoon may be coming to a slow and bumpy end. :(

I'm going to bite the bullet and give her another shot. Tonight, I really, really hate this. :mad:

6. Barbzzz

Barbzzz Approved members

Mimi,

Any chance that it might be a rebound? They're usually pretty ornery. I'd try another correction, she shouldn't have any IOB at this point, or very little from the most recent correction. I'm very cautious with night time corrections, because Alex responds quickly to it. I know you didn't see it before, but who knows.

As Carol asked, it's not your insulin is it? Could it be losing potency or a new vial that doesn't work?

7. Barbzzz

Barbzzz Approved members

Thinking on this some more... what was her last meal? Could it have been something with a slow GI factor? If Alex eats say corn flakes before bedtime, she is on the high side at her 2:00 am reading, or maybe something with a lot of fat.

((HUGS)) I know its frustrating. And you may be right, the honeymoon may be ending. It's all a guessing game.

8. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

Tell me about your day, any lows? What was the activity level?

9. Mimi

Mimi Approved members

I don't think it's a rebound. She had decent numbers all day and she's good at feeling her lows during the day. I was so proud of her today actually....she was playing with her sister, brothers and cousin and felt low...they were at the park...she took 3 tabs just like I've always told her too. She didn't want to test there which, of course, would be the ideal...but I've always told her if she's playing and feels low she can always just take the tabs.

Off on a tangent, sorry....anyway, they were home 15-20 minutes later and she was 126 when I had her test.

The vial is new as of yesterday...wouldn't we have noticed before now if it wasn't working correctly?

10. Heather(CA)

If you give another shot, I would try 1 1/2 units. Then test at 2 and 3 hours. If she goes higher AGAIN. Stop correcting, it may be a rebound and if so she will come down on her own better than with a correction. Also, how hot was it while playing with her cousins? Could the insulin gotten hot then?

11. Mimi

Mimi Approved members

Normal activity level. They were in the pool for a short time but it was too cold, so I can't see how that would affect her the way swimming normally does.

It was between 3 and 4pm when she treated her low feeling with 3 glucose tabs without testing....so I don't have a number for that.

Went to baseball after dinner, was 205 midway through the game around 7pm. Then she had a cupcake after the game. DH did not cover this snack...this is what I thought was causing the 277 at bedtime and we corrected.

Any thoughts?

12. Mimi

Mimi Approved members

I did give 1.5 units. Great minds think alike! ;)

She didn't have the insulin with her and it has not been hot enough the last few days to worry about temperature affecting the insulin.

13. Heather(CA)

Sorry, I went to bed after my last post...Did she come down? Uncovered cup cake, yea, that would shoot her up.

On a side note, I do think swimming in cold water would be the same, then her body is using energy to keep warm too.:cwds:

14. Mimi

Mimi Approved members

Yep, she did come down. At 5AM she was 94. I was a bit nervous about this, so at 6AM I kicked my dh out of bed and told him it was his turn to deal. :rolleyes:

She was 210 at 6AM, then 178 at 7AM.

Presently she is at a birthday party...and they'll be going swimming! Oh joy! :rolleyes:

Thanks everyone for your responses and advice. It was so great to have people who understood to reach out to! :cwds:

15. zatff

zatff Approved members

Stuff like this happens every so often for reasons we don't always understand. If a couple correction boluses don't work I often try just doubling the basal rate for any hour or two since that sometimes works. If it starts to drop I will then increase the length of increased basal. I will also try a manual injection in another part of my body too in case it is due to bad site or bad insulin. If this works then it is time to change either infusion site or insulin cartridge or both.

16. Emma'sDad

Emma'sDad Approved members

Sorry I missed out on the ordeal. Glad you were able to make things work out. Good luck with the birthday party!