- advertisement -

anyody know how long the JDRF has been doing a walk for the cure?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by valerie k, Feb 8, 2011.

1. valerie k

valerie k Approved members

just having a friendly debate with somebody. They said we "stole" the walk for the cure slogan from susan komen. :p I said, I have no idea who started the walk, or the slogan, and well, really, could care less. Both need cures. I have a son with type 1 an am in desperate need of a cure for him, and I lost my MIL to dreaded breast cancer as well. We have sneakers, they have pink rubber band rings... both try to get funds to help fund thier cause. Win win. but of cource, we are just wondering now. So... anybody know?

2. sarahspins

sarahspins Approved members

JDRF was founded in 1970... Susan G. Komen for the Cure was founded in 1982.... I'm going to suppose that JDRF was doing walks back in the 80's.

3. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

don't know the answers but did you know Koman is actively suing people for using "cure" in a way they find infringes on their rights - so is this where your friend is getting that we stole it?? LOL.
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/12/07/komen-foundation-charities-cure_n_793176.html

I have no idea how long the walk has been happening for JDRF but I bet it's been longer than Koman has been in existence. They are a relatively new charity, all things considering. However, they've trademarked those words I guess.

4. thebestnest5

thebestnest5 Approved members

Not very neighborly of Komen.;)

5. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

i've donated to them in the past and it sort of frosts my pumpkin that they're using donor dollars for this. As if theirs is the only cure worth noting.

6. MHoskins2179

MHoskins2179 Approved members

Interesting question...

Komen for a Cure may have been established in 82, but there isn't much that talks about when the first walk may have been. Wiki says the 3-day walk was created in 1998.

The JDF was founded in 70, as we know. The most recent annual report from 2010 says that the national walk program was created in 1992. The sneaker has been around since 1993.

But just because the national "campaign" began in the early 90s, doesn't mean it hasn't been around in some form since before then. Diagnosed in 84, I participated in my first walk/ride in the Detroit area in 1985. It soon split into a walk and ride seperately. But it's been around since then. Some chapters have introduced walks and/or rides at different times, too.

Posed the question to National Outreach, but haven't yet heard back on that one.

7. PatriciaMidwest

PatriciaMidwest Approved members

I totally agree. They are spending a million dollars a year in donations to sue other charities using the word "cure". It's just wrong.

8. thebestnest5

thebestnest5 Approved members

I agree. It's so ridiculous, that you can't even make up something this outrageous.

9. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

What a waste of time and money...my money, I've donated to them many a time.

10. SueM

SueM Banned

I will now be adding the Susan Komen organization to my list of organizations which are good at raising money/awareness... but that's about it... Ridiculous.

11. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Yeah, I'm usually on the side of protecting intellectual property, but this is ridiculous. As long as there is no misrepresentation as to what the charity is raising money for, Komen should really back off.

12. valerie k

valerie k Approved members

well, thats disheartening... I would have thought much better of the koman charity. I read about her (Susan koman) and Im quite sure, this isnt what she would have had in mind.

However, now a days, my buck goes to our little sneakers.

new slogan, Sneaking around koman for a cure??? :D

13. suz

suz Approved members

Just makes me sad. Komen won't be getting my support any more.....