advertisement

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anybody with a toddler looking at going on the pump?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Leece, Jan 6, 2009.

1. Leece

Leece Approved members

Looking at putting my daughter on a pump. We have three to choose from...Animas, Medtronic and Cozmo. She just turned 1 and was diagnosed in November. Anybody have any reviews?

2. chammond

chammond Approved members

Our 7 month old was dx in November and he is on the ping. so far we have been really happy with it. It is nice to be able to remotely give him boluses with the remote when he is sleeping. Luckily he usually sleeps through the finger pricks. We haven't had any trouble with the tubing or sites coming out like I have seen others posting. So far really really happy!

3. Cookie Monster

Cookie Monster Approved members

Our 9 month old has been on a pump since he was about 2 weeks old. Difficult for us to compare as he's never been on injections but we're very happy with the pump.
    We have the site in his thighs, alternating each leg. We might start putting it at the top of the buttocks in a while but at the moment he is on his back most of the time.
    As he's a baby he grabs anything he can get his hands on and pump tubing is great for pulling! It's summer where we are just now and we've had him pull the site out of his leg a couple of times because the hot weather makes him sweat and the site loses some stickiness. It was very hot though.

4. Kelly.Marie

Kelly.Marie Approved members

I have a 2 year old on the Ping, didn't compare other pumps, the Ping was strongly suggested to us by the Endo. I am happy with it, easy to use. Still have some issues with the remote from time to time. Numbers are better controlled overall. Only using his bum as site and it's starting to look irritated.
    As for pulling on tubing, touching the pump, never been an issue (yet).

5. cilipu

cilipu Approved members

Maxine was put on the Medtronic pump back in december and we are very happy. Things are far mor relaxed and her BGs are not that weard any more.
    We are far more flexible and insulin doses can be adjusted far more accurate then before.
    Maxine likes that she only needs to change the set every third day and that there are no more ongoing injections through the whole day.

6. RosemaryCinNJ

RosemaryCinNJ Approved members

My daughter will be 3 in March...We are discussing it now with our endo office..We are going to pump class Jan 14th....Our endo for some reason likes his pedi patients to be a little older..so we shall see...I got a lot of negative feedback from endo nurse yesterday about pumps, but the endo didnt agree nor disagree..he just signed me up for the class with DH... I know the parents here who have their toddlers on pumps are happy with it..and honestly Im going to take their advice and oppinions over one nurse! :)

7. Kirsten

Kirsten Approved members

It's been 3 years since we shopped for a pump for our then toddler. We chose omnipod, but I wouldn't recommend it for kids under age 2. Our second choice was animas for the small basal increments.

GL!

Kirsten

8. RosemaryCinNJ

RosemaryCinNJ Approved members

My endo said the same thing to me about Omni pod..I would of thought for Amanda this would be ideal because she could not pull it out, etc. but endo said no..I got a sample one in the mail and really liked it small size etc..Im bummed (for now) Going to pump class on Jan 14th here!

9. momtojess

momtojess Approved members

We started our daughter, Jessi, and an animas pump when she was 15 months. She is now 7 yrs old, and stil uses an animas pump.

It is a personal choice, but I will say it was one that I was so glad we made. I dont know how I would have gotten through the toddlers years without the pump.

10. goochgirl

goochgirl Approved members

We are very happy with the Animas Ping for our toddler. Its nice to be able to bolus him while he's running around or in the back seat of the car eating a snack.

11. kafroche

kafroche New Member

We are staring the pump seminar and classes on January 12th. Is it wrong that I am petrified!? I am so afraid of the pump malfunctioning. It feels so much more within my control when I give my son his shots.

12. miss_behave

miss_behave Approved members

Actual malfunctioning of the pump is not that common. Insulin overdose, or anything that would cause the user serious harm, is basically unheard of. The pump does many, many safety checks on itself a day. As long as you test regularly there needn't be any concern, if theres a problem you'll catch it quick. I'm sure you'll love the pump, rarely do I hear of someone who doesn't! Good luck.

13. EmmasMom

EmmasMom Approved members

We started our daughter on a MM pump at 14 months and are still loving it 3 years later. The integrated cgms was our big deciding factor and she's been wearing one 24/7 for more than 2 years. Cgms combined with pumping offers amazing flexibility and control and is invaluable if your child can't tell you when they feel low.

I haven't done any recent pump shopping, so I'm not sure if any other company has the integrated cgms yet/soon, but it was as life changing to us as the pump itself... maybe more.

Good luck.:)

14. brima

brima Approved members

Kirsten, can you tell us why you wouldn't recommend it for kids under age 2?

15. Adinsmom

Adinsmom Approved members

I am not Kirsten but I wouldn't recommend it for anyone insulin sensitive. The highest you can set the ISF factor to is 1 unit of insulin for 300 bg points. I had no idea when I shopped for pumps that Omnipod didn't at least go to 500. I couldn't use the pump to the best of it's ability and it's calculations because of it. I worked around it and other issues because I really liked the tubeless aspect of the Omnipod but if I had to do it again I would probably pick the Animas expecially now since they have the ping.

16. haileysmom

haileysmom Approved members

my daughter, hailey started pumping when she was 18months old. We started off with the OmniPod, but the pods seemed to be falling off all the time. I think it was because she was too small and there wasn't as many sites we could use with her. After that we moved to the Animas 2020 and LOVED it...last week, we upgraded to the Ping and it is AMAZING!!! I am thrilled with it! it is so nice to be able to give her boluses and corrections from the meter. She likes that a lot better, too, because she dosen't have to be still while I am giving her the correction. (She is 3 and 1/2 now) I think it's so much easier to use a pump vs. injections with a toddler. when she wants seconds of food, i don't have to give her another shot- i can just put it in her pump. it has worked out great for us!

17. afamov4

afamov4 Approved members

we went to pump class and looked at them all we decided on the ping. our reassons are the small doses that you can give and he is 2 so the meter that can be up to ten feet away was the deciding factor. after getting it and practicing we like it we go live next wed.

18. Leece

Leece Approved members

Update...

So we were informed by staff at our Diabetic staff that the only pump we could buy was the Animas so we did (smallest basal rate setting). We will be going live on Thurs Jan 29. They managed to get us in our own class so quickly because I can't get much time off work and I would like to be around while we are setting it up. I also need to know my dad (who is my caregiver while I'm at work) can operate everything. I Think Canada is a little behind. The newest Animas pump is the 2020 no Ping yet. I think we will upgrade when it gets here. I like the sound of remote bolusing. Thanks, for the help. Will let you know how it goes.

19. Kirsten

Kirsten Approved members

There are a lot of factors. Insulin sensitivity is one. The omnipod also does not allow you to program a basal rate of zero and that along with the fact that the lowest basal setting is 0.05 make it difficult to manage very low basal rates. Also, you need more "real estate" on the body for the omnipod. The sites are effectively larger since the pod is relatively large for a young toddler and doesn't follow the curves of their little bodies. We became experts on pod placement on our then large 2.5 year old, but it would be very hard to keep a pod on a smaller child.

Kirsten

20. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

Kaylee started pumping right after she turned 3.. she's pumping with MM.. animas (now refered to as the 'ping' by most people :) ) has the smallest basal and bolus capablilities, MM is coming out with a new pump in a few months (what we're told anyway..) that will have the same capabilities as the ping.. I'm not sure about the cozmo and its smallest basal bolus.. I don't think you can go wrong with any of the pumps.. they are all great, all do the same basic things, and then some have different abilities, such as waterproof (ping, cozmo?) the MM is intergrated with the CGMS (continuous glucose monitor) although the other pumps are suppose to be intergrated soon.. cozmo has a customized food thing (I don't know much about this since I never really looked into the cozmo).. I've never heard anyone here say they don't like the pump they've choosen.. everyone seems to be happy with their choice.. I think with a little one, the most important thing to look into would be the basal and bolus capabilities :)