- advertisement -

Anybody with a CWD in Hawaii? (Military related)

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by CaelinsMommy, Jul 24, 2010.

1. CaelinsMommy

CaelinsMommy Approved members

My hubby's time is winding down here in PA and we'll soon be making a wishlist of our next duty station. For so long we've wanted to go back to North Carolina, but I'm starting to think I'd maybe like to put Hawaii at the top of our list instead. Caelin is enrolled in EFMP as a category IV I think (CONUS only, major medical area) but it is my understanding that the EFMP has been overhauled and the category no longer dictates where you can be stationed. Basically, I'm looking for advice, experience, resources etc. in regards to living in HI with a CWD :cwds:

2. Brynn

Brynn Approved members

I don't live there but have a very good friend who does, and her 10 year old CWD. They are in the military as well. PM me if you would like.

3. fredntan2

fredntan2 Approved members

I visited once before dx-to Oahu

it was glorius. absolutely loved it.

the people were so friendly-not like the people on St John when we visit that island-the natives there are kind of like what are you visiting our island for, but in HI its not like that.

traffic was horrible on Oahu
    I just loved it

4. peruvianpasohi

peruvianpasohi Approved members

I"m 55. JDRF is not real big here. No help at all to adults. Found 2 good civilian endos here, bot not most don't rx either pumps or CGMS'. I don't know how the military docs are. Oahu traffic is he** for a few hours each day. The public schools are not very good once you reach 6th grade. 504's are not adhered to very well. The weather is always great for a kid.

5. cindyrn6617

cindyrn6617 Approved members

We lived in Hawaii for a little over 3 yrs prior to dx. Not sure how it would be with a CWD. Hubby was Navy and all of us absolutely loved it. We lived on Oahu in Pearl City. Traffic was heavy during rush hour but the drivers are actually alot nicer than the ones here on the mainland. Beaches were great, whales Dec-April, inter island flights to see the volcano and other islands. It was the experience of a life time. We used Tripler Army hospital and never had any problems there. Good luck.