advertisement

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any tips on how to string popcorn and other ideas please?

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by Adinsmom, Dec 2, 2008.

1. Adinsmom

Adinsmom Approved members

I put up the Christmas tree yesterday but ran out of time putting the lights on. Good thing too. Because Adin keeps breaking the glass bulb ornaments. They shatter into a million little pieces across the great room floor. :( I didn't think about tile floors and glass ornaments when we picked floor covering obviously. So instead of doing our memory tree we usually do (ornaments from past vacations, first christmas's etc) we are going to make ornaments and garland, etc.

It is all working out because I planned on doing a old fashioned, home made Christmas anyway. All the kids are making their presents to give and dh and I are making presents to give to them. We have old family recipes for some neat meals and I have some fun activities planned that we never seem to have time to do like gingerbread houses, etc.

So if you have any great home made gifts ideas that I can make my kiddos I would be most appreciative. As well as ideas to decorate my poor naked tree.

Thanks.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2008
  2. momandwifeoftype1s

momandwifeoftype1s Approved members

You could make paper chains to put around the tree. When my kids were too little for the glass ornaments, I tied ribbon to their little plastic dinosaurs or other small toys. We decorated the tree with their favorite things. We've made some cute gingerbread man decorations by cutting out thick cardboard into gingerbread men shapes. The kids brush on white glue and shake cinnamon on top. They used Tacky glue to attach rick rack pieces, pom poms, sequins, google eyes, and other decorations. We hang the gingerbread men with a length of rick rack. Have fun!

3. MyAngelEmma

MyAngelEmma Approved members

I love the idea of an old fashioned Christmas! We live in a log home so we decorate in this style every year. Here is a site that has info on how to make cinnamon clay that I have used before to make gingerbread men: http://crafts.kaboose.com/cinnaclay.html . It is really easy and they turn out so cute. Something the kids can help with. BTW...They smell wonderful, too! Buy a couple rolls of red and white ginham ribbon and tie them on the branches of your tree. I also string bed berries for garland. Have your kids make small paper snowflakes and decorate the tree with them. Tan raffia can also be tied on the branches as well. Gather pinecones outside and hang in tree. We also put birds nests in our tree for a natural old fashioned look. If you have an old quilt you can use this under your tree instead of a skirt.

I always get tons of compliments on our old fashioned tree and home at Christmas! PM me if you would like some other ideas.

4. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

we're going to do popcorn and cranberries for the tree that's going on our porch. I hear you need stale popcorn and heavy thread and then you just string. nothing to it - but I hear it takes a LOT of time.

if you don't do the cinnamon clay you can also just do the salt dough that you dry/bake in the oven - roll it out, cut shapes with cookie cutters, dry or bake and then paint. My daughter used to love doing that.

5. momandwifeoftype1s

Do you have a recipe for the salt dough? I'd like to do that this year with the kids.

6. D A Morisse

D A Morisse Approved members

Use stale popcorn, it won't break apart like the fresh crispy stuff will. Use a heavy thread (button thread) and the longest (dullest for kids) needle that you can find. Someone might chime in with a better idea regarding the needle.

7. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

We've done these, they really are sweet and sweet smelling ;) And they last forever.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2008
  8. momandwifeoftype1s

Thanks! That will be fun.

9. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

10. taximom

taximom Approved members

If the popcorn is difficult to string you can also use small marshmallows (the white ones, not the pastels) w/ cranberries.

I agree...the cinnamon ornaments are great!

11. caspi

caspi Approved members

OK, so which one of you crafty gals will come over to my house and decorate my tree for me?! :) They all sound wonderful!!

I just thought of something - if it hasn't already been mentioned - we should post a picture of our tree when we have it done! (Or should I say when one of you is done doing it for me! ;))

12. iluvmhp

iluvmhp Approved members

I wanna see pictures too!!!! :) Please!!!

13. Karenwith4

Karenwith4 Approved members

More fun and pretty and unbreakable ornaments

Cut shapes out of tinfoil or the bottoms of foil pans, punch with a hole and hang. They can have sharp edges so I fold them over and push the edges down. You can have the boys draw on them with a pencil and they make indents.

Borax crystal stars

stars made from twigs wired together

ornaments made from felt (wool felt if you can find it)

Button wreaths - cute if they are all one colour

dried apples or oranges (just cut thin and dry in your oven set at 150 degrees) - you can make a garland or wreaths, hang them individually on pretty ribbons, or wire them into shapes
    Hang cinamon sticks grouped and tied with a pretty ribbon.

As for home made gifts kids can help with, here are a few ideas:

~They can paint pictures on canvas bags, or aprons. If you cover it all with a plastic bag except for a square cut out for painting you end up with a cool abstract square surrounded by white - it looks really nice!
    ~ You could take their drawings and embroider them onto a pillow
    ~ melt and pour soap
    ~ help with food gifts (making granola, baking, dipping spoons in melted chocolate and nuts)
    ~ making home made playdough for friends.

Are you crafty? There are tonnes of great tutorials on the web if you sew or knit or embroider.
    One Pretty Thing, Crafty Crow, Sew mama Sew and ideas collected on this blog and this one have good ideas.

If you aren't overly crafty or a sewer you can still do things like
    ribbon sticks
    freezer paper stenciled shirt or wall hanging
    no sew tied fleece blankets
    painted little wooden people
    felt board
    lacing cards (cut out images from a colouring book, colour, glue to cardstock and laminate). Use shoe laces to lace.
    soap crayons
    melted shape crayons
    story cds - write or read a story and record it.
    painted play mat to go with blocks, cars or animals (big piece of canvas, painted with roads and buildings or a country scene - river, hills, farms, roads etc)

Here's a list of things for craft impaired people to make. :D

hth
    Karen