- advertisement -

Any tips before I try the Dexcom next week?

Discussion in 'Continuous Glucose Sensing' started by ecs1516, Apr 23, 2009.

1. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

Here are the ones I've heard so far.
    1. Pinch up before putting sensor in. Not sure how to do that with two hands with one holding the inserter?
    2. Don't shower right away inserting sensor.
    3. Make sure the transmitter clicks in with two clicks.
    4. Don't get IV Prep or Bard near where the sensor goes in. Not sure how hard that will be.
    5.When taking off sensor at end of week, don't take off transmitter first. Take tape , transmitter and all with an upward motion (opposite of going in).
    6. If getting ??? for a while during the first 10 hours? , when you get a number back then do three calibrations 15 minutes apart.
    7. I was told that the transmitter doesn't use batteries and it doesn't get recharged. Hard to wrap my brain around that one!
    8. Charge receiver at night on nightstand. Some were told not to do this that it interferes with connection. Only have to charge every 2-4 days.
    9. Radio Shack mic may be used. I don't have that. Navigator was loud enough for me.
    10. The Dexcom Plus can calibrated when numbers are moving??
    11. Back of arms work well. That is where we are doing it anyway.

Questions
    12. Do you have to tilt the inserter back so it doesn't insert too deep?
    13. Have you ever got ??? on the new Plus system after the first 10 hours? Does it beep to warn you?

Since my kids swim all summer long. I wonder how this Dexcom will hold up. Our Navigator did get in the pool last year. I thought we might go to the indoor pool near us for a 'test'.LOL

Last edited: Apr 23, 2009
  2. iluvmhp

iluvmhp Approved members

3. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

4. iluvmhp

iluvmhp Approved members

We were having problems with data gaps at night. I guess the charging can possibly cause some interference. We were trying to rule out why we were having problems, so we listened.

I would try it and see if it works well for you! I will try it again too. It charges very quickly, so if she is in her room doing homework, playing ect. I just plug it in.

5. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

When you quit charging at night, did the gaps go away? Also, how long were the gaps in minutes?

6. betty6333

betty6333 Approved members

The reciever does NOT have to be charged every day, once every 2-4 days (depending on use) is plenty.

I don't have the plus but do have 2 receivers and don't waste your time charging every night.
    It takes less that 3 hours to get a full charge and every 2nd or 3rd day should be PLENTY.

7. iluvmhp

iluvmhp Approved members

We were having other problems, I shouldnt have even mentioned this. I am sure it will be fine to charge at night. Again, it doesnt take long at all and it lasts for several days.

8. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

We got our appointment. 10am May 1!

9. ErikB

ErikB Approved members

It makes no difference if you charge it at night on the nightstand. Or for a half hour while sitting at the dinner table.

The only problem that can occur while charging the receiver is that the range is reduced a bit. So any data "gaps" are caused by out of range errors (the Y in the box).

I would leave the receiver on the nightstand while I charged it, but DS always rolled over to the corner of the bed which is JUST out of range. So now I usually place it on the bed after he's asleep for a half hour or hour per night, since is does not take a long time. If I miss a day, no big deal, it never seems to lose it's charge very fast.

When I'm not recharging I can leave it on the table and never have it out of range. Actually, we often put it in the hall on the other side of the wall from his bed so he can't play with it instead of sleeping. Just experiment with it. . . if you're out of range, it won't work.

Hope this helps.

10. iluvmhp

iluvmhp Approved members

This is exactly what they told me...it can decrease the range. We were just trying to rule out why we were having some issues and one of their suggestions was not to charge at night. BUT, I do not think that it decreases the range a great deal. If your charger is right next to the bed, I think you are fine. It really is a wonderful non-issue!!! ;)

11. ErikB

ErikB Approved members

Ahhh yes, but that's where Murphy's law comes in. If there is enough room on the bed for your child to get out of range, they are guaranteed to roll over to that place on the bed. :rolleyes:

12. Judy&Alli

Judy&Alli Approved members

We were not trained to pinch up. We had our rep insert the first one and the trainer helped me insert the second one, and no pinching up. For those of you who were trained to pinch up, why? Am I doing something wrong?

13. betty6333

I don't pinch up unless there is a very small amount of fat. Every time I pinched up we got poor readings.

14. iluvmhp

iluvmhp Approved members

They told us to pinch up with insertion since there is little fat. I think Alli must have less fat than Hannah though. HMMMM??? I am going to watch the video and see what they do.

15. Eric's mom

Eric's mom Approved members

I have always done the pinch up. Hmmm maybe this is part of the problem we have been having. Next sensor no pinch up for us.

Last sensor no iv prep or barrier wipe and had a much better result, still only lasted the 7 days but was a good sensor.

We still have problems with the rash that is left after sensor removal. It iches and is red and bumpy. Have tried sween cream after but did not really help.

All the tips here have been so helpful. Thanks all who are sharing. :)

16. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

I just watched all the video tutorials on the Dexcom website for the Dexcom plus. They show pinching up. Very good tutorial.

17. betty6333

That is good to know, I probably won't just because for us it works better unpinched, but I do pinch up every time for the pod insertion !

18. Jacque471

Jacque471 Approved members

We charge ours for a couple of hours at night every few days and we do have a weaker signal during the time it is charging. It will even lose connection and go to a Y at times. And we have it like 2 feet or less from his behind where the sensors are placed, so I do think charging it reduces it's range.

I usually charge it for 1-3 hours while I am awake and then unplug it again so we have accurate readings the rest of the night.

Once I rearrange all of the stinkin power cords and make space I think I will plug it in at the dining room table (also serves as my desk so it has printer and computer etc plugged in LOL) while we are eating and then when he gets down from dinner we can unplug and be on our way again.

19. Jacque471

Jacque471 Approved members

We were taught to pinch up. One time I know I didn't and didn't notice a whole lot of difference. The sensor did fail after about 12 hours and again at 36 hours and required 2 hour restarts, but after that it worked fine for another 7+ days.

It was also the one time that I pushed in and pulled back so fast that I was worried I did it "too fast". Logan was fully freaking out so I was trying to get it done quickly.

We are also using sites only on his butt, so I assume there is more fat there so that may be why we don't see much difference.

20. rickst29

rickst29 Approved members

Pinching? for me, depends on the site....

For locations which already provide a lot of "curve" (upper butt cheeks, love handles) I don't pinch. When the area is almost totally flat, I do -- thumb and pointing finger on one hand, while I shot with the other. Both are single-handed jobs.

But I pretty much stay with those four target areas, so Dexcom Sensors hardly every get the pinch. My infusion sets DO.
    - - - - -
    BTW, for longer-term use: On my elderly bod, Skin-Prep (S&N) causes much less irritation than IV prep and it helps the Sensor stay down a lot longer, too. (better in BOTH ways.) YMMV, of course, but Dexcom is immune to both formulas if you let the skin dry completely before shooting the wire in.