- advertisement -

Any tip dd 2nd birthday this weekend?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by momoftwingirls, May 13, 2013.

1. momoftwingirls

momoftwingirls Approved members

Hi guys,
    My twin girls will be two this weekend and we are having a birthday party for them. I am a little nervous since there will cake and food and I don't know how to cover for sweets. What do you guys do for you d kids. I want her to have fun and I want the day to go smoothly. I was thinking maybe do cupcakes since it would be easier to carb count.

I would love to hear any tips or advise.

Thanks guys!

2. Williamsville mommy

Williamsville mommy Approved members

For our first birthday after diagnosis we did ice cream cake. Because we could weigh it and know exactly what it was. Brownies are easy too we did that last night and numbers were fine. If your doing pizza I would give some insulin up front and then the rest later. But all in all we just corrected in the night as needed and the next day was fine. Try to take a deep breath, relax and treat the number. She will be fine and probably you will be surprised at how well you do. Sometimes we need to give ourselves more credit. Good luck and happy birthday.

3. kirsteng

kirsteng Approved members

Grady is turning 4 in two days, I also haven't figured out how/when I'm going to do the cake etc yet. I think I'm just going to wing it and see how it goes... the one time I'm not going to serve cake though is in the late afternoon - that's our worst time... whereas everything we do after dinner seems to go perfectly. Maybe just 20% more rapid to cover the cake here, and I'm not going to serve fried foods to keep it simpler.

Good luck with your birthday party! :)

4. MelissaAL

MelissaAL Approved members

We find cupcakes to be much easier to dose for vs. cake.

At DD's birthday last year (6wks after dx) she actually ended up low because of all the extra activity and excitement. Our party was for lunch and even though she wasn't going to have cake for an hour or so, we dosed for it with her lunch. (she was on novolog shots at mealtimes then)

Good luck! You can do it!

5. quiltinmom

quiltinmom Approved members

I usually dose home made cupcakes as about 30, depending on how thick the frosting is on top, and if there are any candies, etc. Store bought--I have no idea. I never buy them.

If you're concerned, make yoru best guess, be a little bit on the conservative side, and correct later if needed. It would be a shame for a child not to get cake on their birthday. It might not be as hard as you think. But I totally get it--it's one of those "firsts" that we dread until it's over and we realize it wasn't so bad.

Good luck, and Happy birthday to your little ones!

6. nebby3

nebby3 Approved members

CUpcakes are good. We have also at times done a pretty bundt cake dusted with powdered sugar instead of frosting or a frosting made with cool whip so it is lower carb.

7. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

Keep in mind that the activity level is typically much higher at a birthday party. She may not need much insulin if she is running around a lot.

I might wait and give the insulin after the party, so that you can judge the activity level.

8. SarahKelly

SarahKelly Approved members

I have no idea why (maybe somebody else does) but homemade rice crispy treats are the easiest for us. So for Isaac's past three birthday's he's had that (luck for us it's his favorite, too!) We just put a favorite gummy or other treat on top of each square to fancy it up :)
    Also, we don't dose for them until after to wait for his BG to start coming up if he's lower from playing.
    My only other tip is that if things bother you at other parties because they cause havoc on BG than don't do them at your daughters, for example HUGE juice boxes drive me bonkers so I make a point of not having them. Same with the gift bags, bags of candy are so strange to me, so I make a point of having no candy in the bags and instead creative thoughtful things that parents won't have to just toss in a day or two. One year we did a set of chalk with a hand painted rock, directions on how to play hop scotch and a jump rope. Another year we did sand buckets filled with bubbles, shovel and hacky sack.
    Not sure if that helps...but it's how we roll :)

9. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

When do they turn 2? My girls turn 12 on the 18th:D
    We have done homemade rice crispie treats, cupcakes and small ice cream cups. Also, take into consideration that they will be running around like crazy, so you may need sugar to keep those bgs up!

10. susanlindstrom16

susanlindstrom16 Approved members

I'm with you on the goody bags...we got one this weekend with all sorts of random candy without carb counts of course....ugh! I will be throwing it out tonight.

Cupcakes are pretty reliable for us if we count them as 30 carbs each. But like others have said, there is so much activity at parties that the sweets are no big deal.

11. LucyAmber

LucyAmber Approved members

Cupcakes range about 25-30 carbs, and are much easier to carb count for me :)

Or you could do mini cupcakes, I think they are around 15 carbs.

&& Happy birthday to your girls :) :)

12. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

has anyone suggested "cakepops"?

I really like those cakes that look like cakes but are cupcakes,

13. momoftwingirls

momoftwingirls Approved members

They turn 2 on the 17th! Thank you guys for all the suggestion since the girls love ice-cream we will do ice cream cupcakes! I think I am nervous just because this d things is new to us. She does get sweet treats once in a while like a week ago we took them to Maggie moos for ice cream and she did ok without any correction since she was playing. The good thing is she is young and she hadn't had many sweet thing and they both dont like sweet too much. But they do love ice cream. Lol

14. Bear

Bear Approved members

Just guestimate and watch them.

15. tammy82

tammy82 Approved members

Yes cupcakes are much easier to estimate. We usually do 30 carbs. As far as a few other things you may have to eyeball it and give an estimate and then check later on to see where her BS is. I've been through many parties and don't beat myself up over and will let her enjoy herself. I then just keep a check later on often.