advertisement

Any Tandem Basal IQ reviews?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by BrendaK, Sep 5, 2018.

1. BrendaK

BrendaK Neonatal Diabetes Registry

Just ordered the G6 and requested an Rx from the endo for the Basal IQ software update for my son. Any reviews here? I'm specifically wondering how it deals with hard and fast lows. My son also has Adrenal Insufficiency (Addison's) which is currently making diabetes more difficult to handle at the moment because his meds are a little off. Hopefully his medication adjustments will kick in soon, but the basal iq can't come fast enough!!

2. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

My daughter started on it last Friday afternoon. Her first night...proved it's not a cure. She went to 375 with a pulled out site at 4 a.m. The next two nights were gorgeous with it suspending if she were going low. She woke right around 100 each day. Last night she had a basal shift and experienced a fast low that the basal iq was not able to keep up with but it didn't require the normal amount of carbs. I think it's going to be a significant game changer for nights.

She says it's hard to give up control during the day. If she pre-boluses too long, it shuts off (once when she was still at 140), which she doesn't like as she then goes higher than she would have otherwise.

She says the accuracy is great.

3. BrendaK

BrendaK Neonatal Diabetes Registry

Thanks. That’s good feedback. I don’t know exactly what to hope for or expect but we are willing to give it a try. Diabetes + Addisons + Athletics makes life challenging for an 18 year old high school senior wanting that independence. Hopefully the basal IQ will help a little.

4. MomofSweetOne

I just studied data. It looks when her pump is suspended for any length of time, she gets resultant highs from lack of basal. Time to dial in the basal accuracy.;) I like seeing the little suspend lines at night....and the awakenings so close to target most days.

5. MomofSweetOne

Basal IQ is fabulous...until it fails. The Bluetooth on my daughter's pump failed. She'd gone on Basal IQ during a major basal transition time, and the first night without it, she had four 55&below alarms after prior nights with it being beautiful lines between 85 and 100. The next night, she had a lower basal rate....and only two 55 & below alarms. By the time she was back on Basal IQ, we had done several basal adjustments that continue even now. It was a sleep-depriving lesson to us to keep the basals as close to accurate as possible, even if Basal IQ suspends to compensate for their inaccuracy.

We were less than impressed with Tandem's handling of the replacement. She spend 1.75 hours on the phone on hold or trouble-shooting the pump the first day. She was told it would be shipped for next day arrival. She told the person her mailroom would be closed over the weekend. When it didn't arrive Friday afternoon, I called to enquire why not. I was told she hadn't called in early enough the day before to have it shipped out, so it would be arriving Saturday. Ummm....she'd told them the mailroom would be closed! It arrived Saturday, and the UPS delivery person gave it to a non-mailroom employee, who fortunately got it to her. Only.....Tandem sent out an unupdated pump, so she had to install Basal IQ herself...and they refused to email the link to upgrade until she had the pump in hand. Once the pump was in her hand Saturday, that division was closed for the weekend....thus no email to upgrade. It was late Monday afternoon before she was able to update the software on the pump (the other one had failed on Thursday). After once having a Medtronic pump fail at 9:30 p.m. and receving a new pump in hand by 10:30 the next morning, this was shoddy service, to say the least.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2018
  6. Portabella

Portabella Approved members

My son is on his first session with G6 and the Basal IQ. So far, we had sensor errors twice, both lasted about an hour, but otherwise it's fabulous! Takes care of night time lows, and the lows that happen when bolus kicks in faster than food.

7. MomofSweetOne

Are any others having difficulty with the pump dropping the cgm data and thus leaving Basal IQ not functioning?

8. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

No, in fact, we find that the pump is more reliable at receiving the signal than his phone is. I'd suspect something was wrong with the pump in your case.

I'm really liking the basal IQ. At night, it's great. During the day it occasionally suspends basal when I'd prefer that it not, but overall, the benefits outweigh the downsides.

9. sszyszkiewicz

sszyszkiewicz Approved members

I can say that the BasalIQ has prevented or at least shortened some of my son's lows. The absence of basal insulin is never enough if there is too much iob from an overzealous bolus/correction.I am looking forward to the next update where it will deal with the highs.

10. MomofSweetOne

The difference in Basal IQ on my daughter's comfort level about correcting at bedtime is huge. She is currently headed toward the lowest A1C she's had since diagnosis, despite it being her first semester of college, other than once when her pancreas decided to kick back in temporarily. The nights when the pump is reading and adjusting and when it's not are markedly different.