- advertisement -

any suggestions for raising BS without harming teeth?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Tommo, May 19, 2010.

1. Tommo

Tommo Approved members

Just come back from the dentist - looks like this is the beginning of trouble with decay unless we change our ways : ( Does anyone have any good ways of getting sugar in without harming teeth? Tom is now at school and is given dextrose tablets every time his pump beeps low-(at home we tend to give a drink of soya milk or some fruit - but can't risk this at school as its too unpredictable...

2. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

My son had 14 cavities at age 4. The dentist filled them and then put a sealant on the teeth. He has had one cavity since and is now 16.

If this isn't possible, your son could brush his teeth or rinse out his mouth after having sugar.

3. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

Can you get the school to give juice with a straw?
    Also I agree with the pp about getting sealants done.

4. Tommo

Tommo Approved members

thanks for suggestions - yes, good ideas - will ask dentist about a sealant (if we have that in the uk) many thanks

5. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Our dentist told us after having glucose or juice to take some water and have her swish it around her mouth and spit it out. This will help considerably.

The dentist also put sealant on their theeth.

6. KellyMama

KellyMama Approved members

We also have sealants but if she's awake enough we'll dry brush and have her rinse and spit into a cup. I'm paranoid about this and we've been slacking lately - good reminder for us to stay on top of keeping her teeth clean! :)

7. sariana

sariana Approved members

Caedence has quite a few issues with her teeth as well. I asked the Dentist last time about it and I was told that Baby teeth are different then adult teeth. He baby teeth may be weak, but the adult can come out strong. It is just a random thing. Try the best that you can do and that is all that can be done basically.

8. Abbysmom

Abbysmom Approved members

Thumbs up for sealents

My non-diabetic children have there teethe sealed and have never had a single cavity. There expensive but they really work.

9. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Another fan of "sealing" here ;)

10. Leece

Leece Approved members

Our dentist gave us some Xylitol lollipops and suggested DD have one in the afternoon. Apparently Xylitol inhibits the growth of bacteria in your mouth. He recommends them to kids that are at higher risk for cavities. He also suggested rinsing with water after having any sugar as a minimum effort.

11. joy orz

joy orz Approved members

Our CDE suggested using honey in a medicine dropper, that way it doesn't much touch the teeth at night.

We haven't had luck with it though when she's sleepy and beligerent with a low. Just makes a big old mess. Maybe you'll have better luck.

12. wdhinn89

wdhinn89 Approved members

I have heard that pretzels bring up BG quickly too.

13. Snowbound

Snowbound Approved members

We use small 13g orange juice boxes from Oasis. They're a great size and sturdy.

It's not ideal for the teeth, but better than chewing on something.

14. Tommo

Tommo Approved members

thanks everyone - just a thought, is it best to wait for big teeth before sealing - just worried that if there is any decay it will be sealed in?

15. Southpaw

Southpaw Approved members

I'm a dental hygienist and am dealing with this too. DD has enamel decalcification already.

I use a fluoride TP and watch that she doesn't ingest too much.

I also apply fluoride varnish to her teeth every 3-4 months. You can ask your dental office if they can apply it for you. It may cost some $$ out of pocket, but its worth it.

Juice tends to cause cavities along the gumline whereas sugary foods tend to get stuck in the occlusal (chewing surface of teeth).

Sealants can protect the chewing surfaces only.

Fluoride rinses (such as Act, or a RX rinse) can help remineralize the flat surfaces and gumline areas.

I struggle with the juice thing, since I know its just sugary crap and causes a LOT of decay.

If she's low at night, i will actually brush her teeth right after the juice to be safe.

I will also make her rinse and spit with water if a brush isn't around. Even if she just swallows the water, its better than leaving all the sugar on the teeth.

Oh, and they'll check that the teeth aren't decayed before they seal them.

Good luck!!!

16. Omo2three

Omo2three Approved members

Hi,
    Your child is only 4...so I am guessing no permanent teeth in. usually that happens around 6 yrs of age, the 1st permanent molars will get sealed...and they erupt behind his baby molars.

Usually baby teeth are not sealed.

I would recommend OTC fluoride act rinse, before bed time
    If he can rinse and spit he is ready for Fl treatments.

Juice is great for treating lows...have him swish with water afterwords and
    I take a wet toothbrush (no paste) for middle of night time lows.

Good luck....

17. Tommo

Tommo Approved members

many thanks all - really grateful for all your ideas, Alex