- advertisement -

Any Strips free after copay?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Mike&Dans.Mom, Sep 8, 2010.

1. Mike&Dans.Mom

Mike&Dans.Mom Approved members

Does anyone know of any brand strips where the manufacturer picks up the cop-pay?

We have a copay card for Lipitor:eek: They pick up our copay after insurance.

I am trying to cut my bills down:rolleyes:

2. BrendaK

BrendaK Neonatal Diabetes Registry

Have you checked into A+ Medical Supply? We've been getting stuff from them for years and A+ does not charge you a copay. All of our D stuff is free, except for insulin and glucagon which we can't get from them. Saved us TONS of $$

3. thebestnest5

thebestnest5 Approved members

I don't know of any free ones; just reduced.:cwds:

Accu-chek has a program that reduces copay to no more than $15, I think it's $15.

There is the Freestyle Promise program that reduces co-pays. With our old insurance we paid $15 with the program and now we pay $10.

4. ashley_lynden

ashley_lynden Approved members

I get out test strips through Medtronic. Since we have met deductible on DME for the year, I have no co-pay on One Touch strips.

5. ashley_lynden

Does A+ sell pump supplies, specifically Minimed? If we don't get Sloan on SSI we've got to figure something out. There is no way we will have the money to meet our deductible next year when we're still paying off the past years hospital bills.

6. clb1968

clb1968 Approved members

Yes a+plus does mm pump supplies

7. BrendaK

They do all pump supplies, including IV Prep, Skin Tac, batteries, extra tape for sites, and even throw in a complementary bottle of glucotabs every month.

Definitely check w/them. They're number is 800-646-8040 They will only accept you if you have private insurance that is not an HMO. They won't accept you with a sky high deductible. My mom had a $2000ish deductible once and she was accepted, but then it switched to $4500 and they would not accept her anymore, so that gives you an idea what kind of deductible they will/won't accept. They are out of network w/all insurances, so keep that in mind when you look at your deductible, you have to look at the out of network deductible. We have used them with Aetna, Cigna, and BCBS PPO's.

8. Jake'sMama

Jake'sMama Approved members

in my experience it doesn't hurt to call whatever you use and ask. My friend meets the financial guidelines and gets free strips.

We just signed up for AccuCheck, which I heard of from here.

9. ashley_lynden

Thanks! We have a $2000 deductible so I will definately be calling them. This would help us out a ton!

10. Brensdad

Brensdad Approved members

If your insurance is provided through your employer, ask if it's a self-funded plan. If so, you can probably offer to trade a lower-cost brand of strips in return for their elimination of your copay. It's really not that hard to do, and any company with any sense would agree to it. If you went to generics for $20 per box rather than brand-name for $80+ less your copay it saves them a trainload of money.

11. sam1nat2

sam1nat2 Approved members

We also use aplus, however I need to let you know that what they do is considered unethical.
    Aplus will wait till midyear to bill insurance company hoping that you have already met the deductible, and if not they will "eat" it.

Sam is so healthy that we don't come close to meeting the deductible, so as a result, aplus has to pay out for him. As a result, they call me periodically to say he has maxed out his DME and they cannot provide anymore supplies.

12. BrendaK

We never meet our deductible either since it's a separate one for out of network. APlus eats our out of networks deductible ($800 for each of us) every year and we've never gotten a phone call. We don't have a cap on DME though.