- advertisement -

any opinions about the swine flu vaccine my endo wants my kids to have

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by jewlzann, Sep 21, 2009.

1. jewlzann

jewlzann Approved members

I am always nervous about new vaccines. Our endo is big advocate of the new swine flu vaccine. Any thoughts?

Julie

2. gboysmom

gboysmom Approved members

My thoughts are that no one here in this house will be getting it. Too much controversy surrounding it and I feel it was rushed in the making. :(

3. bgallini

bgallini Approved members

We will all be getting it, if we can. I worry more about Alex getting the flu and then not being able to control his blood sugar and/or ketones. He's away at college so if it happens, he will be on his own. :(

4. sam1nat2

sam1nat2 Approved members

won't be getting it here.
    My kids are overly sensitive to vaccines. They will be getting the regular flu shot though.
    Swine flu has already hit the school and it appears that at least here, its pretty mild. Not sure if Sam had a mild case of it, but he was sick for a few days which is very rare for him

5. BellasMom

BellasMom Approved members

No one in this house will be getting it. Do the research on the swine flu. It's highly contagious but not a killer virus. The vaccine hasn't been through all the standard FDA channels and last time they pushed a fear based vaccine like this it killed all the soldiers that it was tested on. The CDC has already reported vaccine complicated deaths. My Endo hasn't said a word about it.

6. karliesmom

karliesmom Approved members

We won't be getting it. I've done some reading on it and talked to a few different RN's about it and came to the conclusion it is not worth it. It is a live virus they give you and that seems dangerous to me. I think they pushed this one through way too fast.

7. KyleBugsMom

KyleBugsMom Approved members

LOTS of misinformation out there. The CDC site has the most accurate info.
    The only way you get a LIVE vaccine is to get the mist. The flu injection will be dead virus - just like a regular flu shot.
    The shot the veterans got had the adjuvant Squalene in it. The "swine flu" vaccine is adjuvant-free.
    My endo pointed out that being sick with the flu could cause DKA that even a hospital cannot control. I believe that because K had a reaction to the seasonal flu mist (so he wasn't actually sick) and that is the ONLY time he has had ketones since dx...and his blood sugars were relatively in control.

I am not knocking ANYONE for whatever decision they make for their family - I'm still not COMPLETELY sure we are getting it. However, I don't think people should base their decisions on bad information.

8. jilmarie

jilmarie Approved members

Here's the link to the CDC H1N1 page.

The most accurate information all in one place :)

9. KyleBugsMom

Thanks, Jill! :) I have no idea how to post a link!

10. bgallini

bgallini Approved members

You responded before I could. I wanted to make sure I was right but it is the Flu Mist that has live virus in it, not the shot.

This explained it best for me: http://74.125.93.132/search?q=cache...+vaccine+live+virus&cd=11&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

I also agree that I have no problem with others not getting the vaccine for themselves or their children. But since the OP asked, I felt I'd give my view which is I'd rather risk the vaccine than the actual flu....esp for Alex.

11. 2type1s

2type1s Approved members

Morgan already had the swine flu, and she was very sick for about 24 hours, then just miserable for a few days. She never had ketones and we managed her at home. I am leary of any vaccine with so little time in research. We will get the regular flu vaccine (actually Morgan already did). we waited on Zoe because she was sick for 4 days with a fever (possibly swine) for the 4 days before her appointment. Doc said to wait a couple of weeks.

12. sarahconnormom

sarahconnormom Approved members

We will be getting the regular flu shot but not the swine flu shot. Connor's endo said we should only do the regular shot.

13. Kalebsmom

Kalebsmom Approved members

We will not be getting the H1N1, but we will all get the regular flu shot.

I have gone back and forth on this so many times. As of this moment we will skip it.

I should add that kids ped said if their kids were younger and lived at home they would not get it for them. To me, if a dr would not give it to their kids that is good enough for me.

14. KyleBugsMom

I'm glad Morgan did well (I love the name Morgan, by the way!). Not every diabetic will get ketones with the flu - I am just saying that my son had them as a reaction to the flu mist (he's also only 2 y.o.).

I am also very leery of a shot that has spent such little time in research (which is a fact) and for that reason, we may not get it. However, I think it is a major disservice to make a decision based on misinformation. (adjuvants, it's a live virus - none of which is true).

15. wilf

wilf Approved members

As you can see from the responses already, vaccines are not an issue that people here agree on.. :rolleyes:

For the record, I am a firm believer in the relative value of vaccinations - both to the individual and to society. If we haven't had the flu by then, we'll be getting vaccinated (in November).

16. miss_behave

miss_behave Approved members

I don't know if I want to get it. My dad thinks I'm ridiculous and paranoid for my concerns about it and that the whole family should get vaccinated. I may have to anyway, as a student nurse. I dunno, they haven't said anything about it but I'm not doing clinicals yet.

17. RosemaryCinNJ

RosemaryCinNJ Approved members

we are going to a new endo today and I will ask about swine vaccine also...so I will let you know what he says.

18. Pauji5

Pauji5 Approved members

Children's Hospital's in Chicago is saying, yes, get the vaccine. Our ped also had a good point. He said that each year, the flu shots are different, because there are differences in each strain. No one seems to make the same arguments about the regular fly shots not being heavily tested.

Kendall will be getting the shot, and if possible, so will her brothers. I've thought alot about this, and while the people that are getting swine flu now find it to be fairly mild, it is next spring that is what is being predicted as being the "bad" one.

19. Haleysmom2214

Haleysmom2214 Approved members

I do not think we will be getting it. We get the regular flu shot. But I dont like something that didnt take long to put together. My oldest daughter got the hpv shot last year and now they are saying that it could cause long term affect complications and even death. They havent said anything about this new shot because they dont know what the effects will be and I am not willing to find out.

20. Toni

Toni Banned

Re swine flu vaccine. You have to weigh the risks of child having a reaction to the vaccine (slight risk) with the risks of child getting really sick coming down with the swine flu. There are risks from all flu shots; don't know if swine flu shot incurs more risk than the regular flu shots she has gotten every year. Sis does not think so. She is getting the shot, as soon as it becomes available and, to my way of thinking, that vaccine cannot get here soon enough. We have notified the nurse to report any cases of swine flu at the school. CDC recommends Type 1 children stay home from school in that instance and Sis is following their recommendations.