- advertisement -

Any one not getting H1N1 vaccine ?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by zimbie45, Oct 23, 2009.

1. zimbie45

zimbie45 Approved members

Any one not getting the vaccine? I see so many post on every one getting one, just wondering who is not? We are not. for a few reasons. 1. I personally dont like live vaccines, specially so new. 2. charlize reactions to the regualar flu vaccine so i dont want to do this one either ( no reason to chance even thought they are diffrent JMO) 3. OUr endo also says NO WAY !!!

I dont want to start any debates on you should or shouldnt. Just curious who is also not getting one.

C

2. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

the h1n1 shot is not a live vaccine. the nasal mist is. Live vaccines are contraindicated for our kids anyway.

3. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

There's a poll on right now with the option to select "getting it" or "not getting it".

4. karliesmom

karliesmom Approved members

Hi Chandra, We are also not getting the H1N1 vaccine. After talking to people at Phoenix Children's and our pediatrician and doing tons of reading on it, I have opted not to have Karlie vaccinated for it. We did get the regular flu shot the other day and she did fine with it. I think she may have already had H1N1 anyways as we were running high temps with croupy cough a few weekends ago and pediatrician said those are classic symptoms. We are off to do our saline start at PCH this morning...nervous and excited too!
    Kim :)

5. My_Dana

My_Dana Approved members

Not getting here.

Most folks are/have according the voting Poll.
    Currently at about 65% getting/have gotten, 35% not.

6. Gracie'sMom

Gracie'sMom Approved members

We want to get it. But there are 194 school closed in our state right now because too many kids are out sick (many have > 30% absent this week). So, we may be too late by the time it's available . . .

7. BrendaK

BrendaK Neonatal Diabetes Registry

I was going to get it, but now I'm not so sure. I'm not so worried about it's safety, but I am concerned that the H1N1 clinics are going to be absolutely mobbed. The only place to get one around here is at the local health department clinics starting next week. And it's going to be NUTS.....so I'm not so sure I want to go stand in a mobbed middle school gymnasium for hours and hours waiting for a shot. I'd probably pick up the flu just standing in line......

So I'm still a bit undecided. I think I'm going to watch media coverage after the first day of the clinics next week and see how it goes.

8. sam1nat2

sam1nat2 Approved members

I'm with you, none for my kids, although they did get the seasonal one.

I'm curious as to your endos thoughts.

9. Haleysmom2214

Haleysmom2214 Approved members

I am with you, we are from IL too! And starting next wednesday at the local high school. But I fear waiting in line for a few hours and then be told oh sorry we have no more. I know that dupage county is doing it right by making appt. I dont know sents we are from will if we can get into the dupage. I am probley going to go wednesday and see.

10. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

It looks like we're not.:rolleyes: 4 more days to change out minds. Phase one starts on the 27th I believe here.

11. Connie(BC)Type 1

Connie(BC)Type 1 Approved members

12. hypercarmona

hypercarmona Approved members

I want to get it, but there isn't even the seasonal flu shot available here anymore, so it looks like I'm not getting either flu vaccine. The last time I didn't get vaccinated, I ended up in the ER with the flu and BGs stuck in the 400s. I'm not really looking forward to doing that again.

I had an appointment to get both injections this saturday, but my doc couldn't "save" them for me and had to give it to whomever just walked in. They called me today and said they're completely out of everything.

13. LizinTX

LizinTX Approved members

We are not; however, it isn't even available here.