- advertisement -

Any one know a magic formula

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by sisterbeth43, Jan 25, 2010.

1. sisterbeth43

sisterbeth43 Approved members

If she can't locate some by around noon tomorrow, I will have her call the ambulance service. Like Nicole said they may not have any, but will probably know someone in town who can give her enough to get her by till the roads open up.

2. Mama2H

Mama2H Approved members

If there are no plows the ambulance cannot get through either. Small towns usually have volunteer ambulance services that can be called but a hospital is a long shot in a blizzard storm.

3. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

OK so my two cents are that insulin dose not need a script,m so can she get the owner or something on the phone for her to purchase the insulin.

I find it mindniubing that she NEEDS this at it is in arms reach but because one person is not there the would not give it.

4. swellman

swellman Approved members

I'm pretty sure (I am a layman) that insulin needs a script.

5. sisterbeth43

The one she takes (Novolog) does need a script, but to get by, she can get some Regular and NPH. Those do not need a script. It wouldn't be the ideal solutin, but would get her by until the pharmacist comes back to town.
    Wonder what they do in that town when he goes on vacation.

6. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

I believe the only one that doesn't need a script is regular.. you can buy that at the Pharmacy, OTC..

I can not believe they cant get insulin to her, some how, someway, they need the pharmacist into the pharmacy to get her insulin.. its not like she needs bandaids or cough drops.:eek:

7. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

Just curious as to how much snow they've gotten that its stopped the town like this? I have so much extra insulin in my fridge it kills me to know that someone could be using it, but I can't get it to them..:(

8. wilf

wilf Approved members

If she can get NPH and Regular, we can talk her through a regimen for a couple of days.

You said she had abt. 70 units left - what's her TDD? Note that she can really stretch the insulin through some combination of eating lower carb or carb-free foods, eating less overall, and exercising more..

9. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

Beth, are you saying she can get to the pharmacy but they wont give her the insulin:confused: Because the Pharmacist can't make it?:confused:

10. Toni

Toni Banned

Sis says state police or police can get her meds via snowmobile if they have to. I would call them.

11. redmcgee

redmcgee Approved members

No I think she is saying that the pharmacist has to be the one to sign off on it. No one but a pharmacist can do that.
    You would think that they see that she takes insulin all the time and they would make an exceptation to the rule.

12. thebestnest5

thebestnest5 Approved members

Can the pharmacist be contacted; maybe he/she is aware of what can be done in such an emergency?

What about an emergency plan; one needs to be in force?

What if something happens to the pharmacist and he's incapacitated; what is the plan?

With only one pharmacist in the town, there needs to be an emergency plan devised.

13. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

Oops, when I said "can't make it" I meant that he couldn't get to the pharmacy...Can't her Endo call the pharmacy and have them do it? Maybe get a back up pharmacist? Does the local Hosp. have a pharmacy she can get to?:confused:

For next time, the Endo need to write the script so that she has extras. This should not be an issue. Sorry Beth :(

14. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Beth, I hope you will keep us posted. I'm sure there are many concerned and worried CWD'ers anxious about Reann today.:(

15. wilf

wilf Approved members

I'm really not sure that this is that big a deal. There is insulin to be had, so at worst a bit of a pain to figure out how to dose it. And there's learning to be had here about not leaving it to the last minute to stock up on supplies.

16. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

Hi Beth,
    I just saw this thread now, and as Sarah said, I hope you keep us updated about Reann.

17. hrtmom3

hrtmom3 Approved members

Just heard about this over at FB. Beth, please keep us posted. I am praying Reann gets what she needs asap!

18. Toni

Toni Banned

Maybe the laws need to be changed. In this case the woman is a regular customer of this pharmacy; gets scripts refilled all the time, I assume; her information should be on the pharmacist's computer. All that should be necessary in an emergent situation and in the case of a REFILL is for the pharma tech to look up the information on the pharmacy's computer system and ask for current identification. It seems cut and dried to me. I hope Reanne was able to get SOME kind of insulin and is okay.

19. sisterbeth43

The pharmacist was able to get back to town sometime around 10 this am and she was able to get her prescription filled.

20. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

YES!!!!! thanks for letting us know Beth